• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Encounter with Jesus.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
im just curious about it

I dont have a real stand yet, one way or the other.

But acts/luke authors, were far removed from the actual events, and if you read the verses prior and after, there is a lot of [to me] fictional magic invoked.

and our best prior first hand witness, paul, paints a different picture, and is silent about Ananias and about teh same magic, that if was real, would have been noted. [one would think anyway]

for whats its worth on the theist channel on dish network, they had a 3 hour movie on saul of tarsus. had a great biblical view of Saul/Paul pretty biblically accurate
Acts 22:6-16 Paul is not silent about his encounter with Jesus and Ananias.

God's power is not magic.

Xchristian

in the end of the day, it's HIS story, and we don't really have to believe HIM.
It's a personal dream, a sun stroke, hallucinations, we can't really be sure.

the guy has never seen jesus so how can he tell it is him? it may well have been Satan, or rather, Paul's devil playing games with him.

nobody to corroprate this kind of thing

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
I am curious,

I see a lot of people finding Jesus's presence in different scenarios. Clouds, Food, Dreams etc..what do you guys think of this?

Also this picture came up in my feed on facebook, I see it as humorous. What do you guys think?

4ild2x.jpg

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
in the end of the day, it's HIS story, and we don't really have to believe HIM.
It's a personal dream, a sun stroke, hallucinations, we can't really be sure.

the guy has never seen jesus so how can he tell it is him? it may well have been Satan, or rather, Paul's devil playing games with him.

nobody to corroprate this kind of thing
Matthew 12:25-28
The devil wouldn't cause Saul to follow Jesus and work hard to preach to others about Jesus.

Acts 9:7, 22:9 They all did not all have a shared hallucination. They saw the light and heard a voice not belonging to them.

Xchristian

Matthew 12:25-28
The devil wouldn't cause Saul to follow Jesus and work hard to preach to others about Jesus.

Matthew of all people would never speak well of Saul, let alone justify his allegations.

Anyway, why would I need to believe jesus let alone paul?

Matthew's reasoning is flawed because he assumes that jesus (the assumed) was alive which is not something I admit in the first place!

Acts 9:7, 22:9 They all did not all have a shared hallucination. They saw the light and heard a voice not belonging to them.

I think I brought you an independent source that says the translators worked on this contradictions to reconcile it, by translating according to wishes!

even if I accept the translation, why on earth would I believe that there existed those alleged people? why are they not another of paul's imagination?

just like the 500 he mentioned in 1Corinth. 15, where are they? who are they? some of them were alive, that's fine, but have they been interrogated?

it's like saying:

I tell you I saw Elvis, 1000 people saw him in 1970, some of them are still alive ...

Does that sound like a true event? naturally NOT! .. it's just me trying to convince you, and since you have no way to really know if it happened or not, I am a happy chappy!

That's in a time when people can put lookout requests on the net, over the tele, in radios, all over the place ... In paul's days he was speaking to people who were in Corinth, he was talking about an event on the way to Damascus, how would they invetigate? they would just take it on faith! .. I don't ...

check this one please?

[Cor2 12:2][ I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven? whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows.]

I believe this, and my name is Charles, the prince of Wales!

Last edited:

Xchristian

if a person goes up as high as the near clouds he would freeze ---> FACT

[Cor2 12:2][ I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven? whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows.]

Thanks Saul

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
This is another discussion of the authenticity of the Bible, not of the account within the Bible.

outhouse

Atheistically
Acts 22:6-16 Paul is not silent about his encounter with Jesus and Ananias.

God's power is not magic.

wll paul didnt say that himself.

and since acts contradicts paul in places, ill go with paul over acts in most regards

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
wll paul didnt say that himself.

and since acts contradicts paul in places, ill go with paul over acts in most regards

Acts 19:18-19
Paul recognized magic arts as sin. God's power is not magic.

Last edited:

loverOfTruth

Sorry for the face palm, but the claims you are making are incorrect and historically incarcerate. John, Mathew, James, peter, and Jude all knew Jesus personally this is evident from even resources outside of the bible. I would suggest a study of the history of christianity. I mean an in depth study on it, not just a wiki study. If you are going to chose to be an atheist thats fine, but don't throw around misinformation,or make outlandish claims.

Read this book :
What You Weren't Taught in Sunday School: Jerald F. Dirks: 9781590080696: Amazon.com: Books

outhouse

Atheistically
Acts 19:18-19
Paul recognized magic arts as sin. God's power is not magic.

a deity has power? what power?

yes we all know things like dowsing are considered sinful due to their ignorance on the topic.

yet its still used worldwide today to help people find water, all in positive ways, not sinful in any way shape or form

I dont trust acts in this respect

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
a deity has power? what power?

yes we all know things like dowsing are considered sinful due to their ignorance on the topic.

yet its still used worldwide today to help people find water, all in positive ways, not sinful in any way shape or form

I don't trust acts in this respect
Sounds like bias to me. You're reducing many people's of Ephesus scrolls totalling fifty thousand pieces of silver to the one act of dowsing, or things like dowsing.

Muffled

Jesus in me
are you suggesting that jesus is just light? (even great it doesn't matter)

No! I am just saying that Paul didn't see Jesus; he only heard Him speak. All he saw was a light. I wouldn't say that jehovah is a burning bush either but Moses saw a burning bush and Jehovah spoke from it.

BTW: When I invited Jesus to be my Lord and Savior, I also was surrounded by a white light but in my minds eye since my eyes were closed. Jesus exuded peace, joy and love from that light and spoke to me from it.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Q is in the bible

Paul was a polar opposite to jesus

and as I stated and you ignored, very little can be stated with certainty about jesus, due to the cross cultural oral traditions that were used decades after the fact to create theology

I m sure a "Q" or two can be found in the Bible but I believe "Q" is a representation of scripture and a man made construct which may have merit or not.

I believe the contrary is evident from the Bible and that blanket statements are nearly worthless.

I believe that there is a high degree of certainty because God preserves His word.

outhouse

Atheistically
I m sure a "Q" or two can be found in the Bible but I believe "Q" is a representation of scripture and a man made construct which may have merit or not.

well Q isnt up for a debate, and of course its manmade, only men wrote it.

Merit? it probably has the most historically accurate message from jesus

I believe the contrary is evident from the Bible and that blanket statements are nearly worthless.

No, your discounting history, bud.

Paul himself states he went out headhunting jesus sect. that means we have cat and mouse. polar opposites

jesus never intended his movement for gentiles, that was all paul. Paul took his movement to his roman brothers, which were jeuss enemy.

jesus was violent in the temple due to the roman infection in the temple, that were robbing the poor oppressed jews blind

first century anthropology and the bible show us how corrupt and hated the Saducees were as well as the Pharisees who were stealing from the people.

[for pharisees read the "woes of the Pharisees"

I believe that there is a high degree of certainty because God preserves His word.

no deity wrote anything.

we have roman authors writing about a jewish movement paul took to the romans and made popular.

god-fearers are even in the bible, and known romans who worshipped judaism that would not convert. There are who became christians, not jews whow were jesus targets.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Q:What's the difference between Magic and god's power? ...
A: What we want to call magic is magic, and if we want to call it god's power, it's that.

God's power created the earth and life, and is from God.
All other supernatural powers were from spirits in opposition to God.
Ephesians 6:12. Hence, Saul was not confronted by a spirit acting as Jesus to have Saul follow Jesus.