• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

empathy question

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
First off, Buddhist practice is very very good. Some would say unrivaled, as it is both effective aNd simple.

The prajna paramita sutras clearly describe "enlightenment" or "truth"

The truth is wordless, undisturbed
& unpolluted by brain & sense organs.
When formlessness is observed by senses it appears to be form and vice versa.
this much is clear. Hail the Buddha
However Buddhist philosophy says consciousness is born in the brain(cartasian dualism? Think therefore I am)
In most other Indian enlightenment traditions, conditionless conciousness(thoughtless awareness) is said to be everywhere. Inherent in existence/nonexistence.
The suchness is naturally aware,
rocks for example are conscious(in a state similar to deep sleep)
While the consciousness in a fly experiences in a different way.

By recognizeing that inherent dignity of being in all passing things allow us to have unbounded compassion For every thing &/or being. If you are a body(you experience samsara. If you identify as the conditionless, you experience Nirvana.

Clearly the practice of Buddhism is founded on thus boundless compassion.

But Buddhist don't believe in the boundless nature of consciousness
So how and why do you feel compassion and empathy for others, they are not you.

?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
First off, Buddhist practice is very very good. Some would say unrivaled, as it is both effective aNd simple.

The prajna paramita sutras clearly describe "enlightenment" or "truth"

The truth is wordless, undisturbed
& unpolluted by brain & sense organs.
When formlessness is observed by senses it appears to be form and vice versa.
this much is clear. Hail the Buddha
However Buddhist philosophy says consciousness is born in the brain(cartasian dualism? Think therefore I am)
In most other Indian enlightenment traditions, conditionless conciousness(thoughtless awareness) is said to be everywhere. Inherent in existence/nonexistence.
The suchness is naturally aware,
rocks for example are conscious(in a state similar to deep sleep)
While the consciousness in a fly experiences in a different way.

By recognizeing that inherent dignity of being in all passing things allow us to have unbounded compassion For every thing &/or being. If you are a body(you experience samsara. If you identify as the conditionless, you experience Nirvana.

Clearly the practice of Buddhism is founded on thus boundless compassion.

But Buddhist don't believe in the boundless nature of consciousness
So how and why do you feel compassion and empathy for others, they are not you.

?

Why not? ;0)

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Idk, i suppose im a selfish mind.
I love because I am. If they are separate from me then we should just be out for our own survival.
They are the same me, but with a different mind, so I love them. It becomes about survival of the whole.

On the otherhand the concept of interdependence would give a mind a reason to be wholesome.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Very interesting concept. But efficiency doesn't matter you just want people to be happy because they are you inside.

How is interdependence expained in Buddhism.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Very interesting concept. But efficiency doesn't matter you just want people to be happy because they are you inside.

How is interdependence expained in Buddhism.

When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
My mom told me that when I was a kid, and it always made sense.
But it can lead a mind onto nihilism. Being just like a domino, or a passing wave.
Mom was a Tibetan Buddhist for a while.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
My mom told me that when I was a kid, and it always made sense.
But it can lead a mind onto nihilism. Being just like a domino, or a passing wave.
Mom was a Tibetan Buddhist for a while.

Describing Buddhist cosmology as "being just like a domino" would eliminate karma for the picture.