• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emetophobia

finalfrogo

I'm pretty sure I have emetophobia. The case is light, and it hasn't been verified by a professional, but all the symptoms align... perfectly. It feels good that this is a REAL phobia, not just something I alone am experiencing. :sign: Fortunately, it hasn't had that much of an impact on my lifestyle: I can't eat salad, and sometimes I become languid or feverish, but it seems to be causing depression (real depression... not the kind that lasts for just a day; the kind that people take medication for) and loss of mental fitness.

Anyways... I think it's starting to recess. Last night and this morning, I was completely devoid of it. I felt normal for about 4 hours. It returned just before lunch, but that brief period indicates its recession.

I just have to remember that (a) I'm not alone in this, (b) it's a figment of my imagination, and (c) with the proper control of my mind, I should be able to successfully eradicate it. That's why I'm delving into Buddhism all of over again (I did a few years ago, then my interest went western): improved mental control. I hope I can be completely successful by the end of summer.

Does anyone have any advice? (NO, exposure is not an option! :D)

evearael

I'm afraid I don't have any good advice for you... but I am here if you need to talk. I wish you the strength to overcome this phobia.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Well, if it makes you feel any better............I'm afraid of balloons. I know exactly why and where it comes from, but I still cringe whenever I see the kids bring a balloon home from a party or the fair or whatever. Our oldest son is afraid of clowns.

You've got something on your side...........other people love balloons and clowns. I don't know anyone who loves to throw up.

But, in all seriousness........I hope you find the answers you need for this challenge. :) I don't have any real advice for you, just simply to go easy on yourself.

Peace,
Mystic

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm obviously not a medical professional, but the constant anxiety over it sounds like you may have more of a problem with a type of anxiety disorder other than a phobia. Based on personal experience, I have a rather severe needle phobia and it doesn't bother me at all until a needle comes into play. Maybe what you have and emetophobia are two different beasts.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
finalfrogo said:
I'm pretty sure I have emetophobia. The case is light, and it hasn't been verified by a professional, but all the symptoms align... perfectly. It feels good that this is a REAL phobia, not just something I alone am experiencing. :sign: Fortunately, it hasn't had that much of an impact on my lifestyle: I can't eat salad, and sometimes I become languid or feverish, but it seems to be causing depression (real depression... not the kind that lasts for just a day; the kind that people take medication for) and loss of mental fitness.

Anyways... I think it's starting to recess. Last night and this morning, I was completely devoid of it. I felt normal for about 4 hours. It returned just before lunch, but that brief period indicates its recession.

I just have to remember that (a) I'm not alone in this, (b) it's a figment of my imagination, and (c) with the proper control of my mind, I should be able to successfully eradicate it. That's why I'm delving into Buddhism all of over again (I did a few years ago, then my interest went western): improved mental control. I hope I can be completely successful by the end of summer.

Does anyone have any advice? (NO, exposure is not an option! :D)

I seem to remember someone posting about a fear of vomitting about a month ago; was it you?

I have two points to make about what you have said:

(b) it's a figment of my imagination
You may see it that way, but it is affecting your well being; being a 'figment of your imagination' doesn't devalue what you are feeling in the least. It bothers you, and is messing up your life.

(c) with the proper control of my mind, I should be able to successfully eradicate it
That's a natural human reaction, but it probably isn't the best way to see it. If everytime you see food to which you have this impulse to vomit, you say to yourself "Now you are being unreasonable, you are not going to vomit", that can actually make it worse for you, because you are concentrating so much on it. The trick is to make it disappear into insignificance (if you can achieve that).

Everytime you feel the fear of vomitting coming on, you could try saying to yourself "Oh dear! I feel that fear again....well, if I do vomit, what harm is it going to do to me? A few minutes of unpleasantness, but it won't really hurt me in any way".........

(something along that line;ie trying to make it less important to you than more - by pre-meditatively expecting it to come on)

You are certainly not alone in this, and, as others have offerred, you have an 'ear' from me should you need a chat.

Another 'trick' that you might try is to wear an elastic band around your wrist (obviously not too tight), but, whenever you feel this fear coming on, strech the band and let go of it . It is a common method of distraction and re-education of your senses.

I know it sounds absurdly silly, but we are hard wired; if you become used to the fact that everytime you fear vomitting you get a pain in your wrist because of the rubber band, you mind won't be so keen on remembering to tell you to remember to feel like vomitting...........

At least, you can try the above; none of it can hurt you.