• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Egyptian Parliament Considers Outlawing Atheism"

Skwim

Veteran Member
But you did spell it out - 'Islam, go figure' has an obvious meaning. Imagine the same words used to describe another group, 'Christians, go figure' 'Women, go figure' or ' Homosexuals, go figure'.
It is grouping millions of people with different opinions as all being the same.
If you insist on taking offense, go ahead. I can't care enough to be bothered by your problem.

LionLooking

So what's a small minority of 1.6 billion people?
That's simple maths - a minority of 1.6 billion would be 799,999,999 so a small minority would be significantly less than this.
Take the two of us - both Englishmen, but with radically different opinions. Obviously, all Englishmen are not the same. Believe it or not, the same can be said of Muslims.

LionLooking

If you insist on taking offense, go ahead.
I'm not taking offence - I'm merely pointing out that tarring a whole group with the same brush is an error.
I can't care enough to be bothered by your problem..
That's a shame - if more of us cared about others then the world would be a much happier place. :)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
That's simple maths - a minority of 1.6 billion would be 799,999,999 so a small minority would be significantly less than this.
Take the two of us - both Englishmen, but with radically different opinions. Obviously, all Englishmen are not the same. Believe it or not, the same can be said of Muslims.

Yes of course the maths make it a minority but in reality can you put a figure on that?, I very much doubt it so to me it sounds like apologetics.

Skwim

Veteran Member
That's a shame - if more of us cared about others then the world would be a much happier place. :)
The implication being, of course, if I don't care about your problem I don't care about others.

Hope the irony isn't lost on you.

animated-luggage-image-0017.gif

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

And its true "all English men are not the same" because we have the right to be different without repercussions, this isn't true for these guys at all.

LionLooking

Yes of course the maths make it a minority but in reality can you put a figure on that?, I very much doubt it so to me it sounds like apologetics.
I know many Muslims - some are friends, others are not.
Of this group, none (as far as I know) have extremist views like wanting to criminalise atheism.
What evidence do you have that a majority of Muslims have extremist views? Surely you know that what a government does is not always what the people it represents would like?

LionLooking

The implication being, of course, if I don't care about your problem I don't care about others.

Hope the irony isn't lost on you..
No, I understand irony very well indeed.
I made no implication at all - save for that you said you didn't care about my problem. Read into that what you will but I meant exactly what I said.
I care - if you don't then that's a shame.
:)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I know many Muslims - some are friends, others are not.
Of this group, none (as far as I know) have extremist views like wanting to criminalise atheism.
What evidence do you have that a majority of Muslims have extremist views? Surely you know that what a government does is not always what the people it represents would like?

True enough but I find it quite extreme that I would be on the BBQ more than once in their beliefs, how extreme you find that I cannot be a homosexual/lesbian, apostate, dance or swim with my wife, I guess what I take for granted is the minimal I'd expect for others.
If a majority of Muslims were terrorists we would be in a world of **** but there are enough dead people for the amount there are which you don't know but it's enough obviously.

LionLooking

True enough but I find it quite extreme that I would be on the BBQ more than once in their beliefs, how extreme you find that I cannot be a homosexual/lesbian, apostate, dance or swim with my wife, I guess what I take for granted is the minimal I'd expect for others.
None of the Muslims I know hold those views - in fact, two of them are gay
If a majority of Muslims were terrorists we would be in a world of **** but there are enough dead people for the amount there are which you don't know but it's enough obviously.
Yes, it's true that I don't know every Muslim. There are many, I'm sure, who do have extremist views. My point is that not all of them do. And, based on the (admittedly, very small) group I do know, none of them have extremist views.
My point is that grouping Muslims together as all sharing the same mindset is a mistake.
If we can agree on this then I see no need for debate. If we can't then I shall continue.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
None of the Muslims I know hold those views - in fact, two of them are gay

Yes, it's true that I don't know every Muslim. There are many, I'm sure, who do have extremist views. My point is that not all of them do. And, based on the (admittedly, very small) group I do know, none of them have extremist views.
My point is that grouping Muslims together as all sharing the same mindset is a mistake.
If we can agree on this then I see no need for debate. If we can't then I shall continue.

Is their main reference the quran?,that's the same mind set isn't it?.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Oh, so you don't accept that any Muslims in Egypt disagree with their parliament, even if they don't voice their concerns?

In an earlier post I mentioned 2,there are and a growing number of people who will speak out, the consequences of that can be fatal, lucky me and you as English men who don't have that hanging over our heads.

Not the same mindset, no - it depends on interpretation. Just as Christians interpret the Bible differently.

So as afaik every follower has the quran/Koran as their final reference point redardless of whether sunni Shia and all the sects within the schools.

LionLooking

In an earlier post I mentioned 2,there are and a growing number of people who will speak out..
Yet you deny that any Muslims are not extremist?
As I said, if we can agree that not all Muslims think the same way then we have no disagreement.
So as afaik every follower has the quran/Koran as their final reference point redardless of whether sunni Shia and all the sects within the schools.
Yep, and every Christian has the Bible as theirs. All Christians do not think in the same way, and neither do Muslims, Atheists, Buddhists or any other group.

LionLooking

Who wants to live in a country where you are not allowed to voice your concerns?
Not me - that's why I have sympathy for those Muslims who are not extreme in their views.
Atheists don’t have their bible but they are the ones being targeted
Indeed, but targetted by the Egyptian government, not targetted by every Muslim. That's my point.