• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education in muslim countries

Looncall

I'd like to ask for the sake of information (I'll certainly debate if anyone would like): what is education like in muslim countries? How is it similar and different in various places? Does it contribute to the social dysfunction common in those countries?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Is very basic. They're given the basics (literacy and numeracy) and the rest is nearly all religious indoctrination. Speaking as someone who lived in Iran for a number of years. There's no reason science to speak of. Iranian science is nearly always nicked from somewhere or other. They don't develop for themselves. This is of course, in a gradient. Somewhere like pakistan is a little more open-minded than somewhere like Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
I'd like to ask for the sake of information (I'll certainly debate if anyone would like): what is education like in muslim countries? How is it similar and different in various places? Does it contribute to the social dysfunction common in those countries?

Depending on which country. We are really talking about geographic locations alone.

Following stereotypes, there are very many primitive countries with primitive education and cultures.

We cannot use this for all though.

At one tine the world turned to these people for education and knowledge before their religion and politics ruined it for all of them. They have never recovered.

ametist

i think there is an easy way of doing it by looking at the world rankings of universities in countries where majority of population is islam. some excel work.

Pastek

Sunni muslim

I'm from the maghreb and my cousins, uncles and some of my friends living there/who lived there told me that it's more difficult sometimes than France (that's the reference for them).

Majority of people go to school until the University but the problem is that there's no job.
My parents who were from a village used to walk many hours to go to school back in the time. Now there's roads and buses, but i think some people living in villages must have some difficulties to send their children to school if it's too far.
In the UAE the state invested a lot for the education, i even heard some Schools are free.
Can't tell for the other countries, i don't know.

spirit_of_dawn

Is very basic. They're given the basics (literacy and numeracy) and the rest is nearly all religious indoctrination. Speaking as someone who lived in Iran for a number of years. There's no reason science to speak of. Iranian science is nearly always nicked from somewhere or other. They don't develop for themselves. This is of course, in a gradient. Somewhere like pakistan is a little more open-minded than somewhere like Saudi Arabia.

What?! Iranian students receive some of the best education in the world in theory, although they don't pay much attention to their application. Some of the most brightest academics and engineers in western countries are Iranians that have received most of their education in Iranian Universities. The religious indoctrination is a gross overestimation: less than ten percent of the subjects are related to religious matters and no "indoctrination" is involved. No one enforces anything religious unto you. Once you complete the course its merely a matter of take it or leave it, it's up to the student to decide.

Looncall

What?! Iranian students receive some of the best education in the world in theory, although they don't pay much attention to their application. Some of the most brightest academics and engineers in western countries are Iranians that have received most of their education in Iranian Universities. The religious indoctrination is a gross overestimation: less than ten percent of the subjects are related to religious matters and no "indoctrination" is involved. No one enforces anything religious unto you. Once you complete the course its merely a matter of take it or leave it, it's up to the student to decide.

I have an Iranian lady working in my lab. She is first rate.

On the other hand, I have spoken with experts who have provided consultation to other muslim countries and who have painted a very dark picture indeed.