• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eastern Orthodox classes

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
I am looking to learn more about the Eastern Orthodox Church/es. Is anyone knowledgeable enough that they would feel comfortable teaching me in a one on one setting via Instant Messenger or Facebook?

Biblestudent_007

I am looking to learn more about the Eastern Orthodox Church/es. Is anyone knowledgeable enough that they would feel comfortable teaching me in a one on one setting via Instant Messenger or Facebook?

Yes, I could. First tip; purchase a copy of the classic 'The Orthodox Church' by Timothy Ware. It covers the history of the Church and explains the sacraments + Tradition.

I'm on Facebook and AOL instant messenger. Hello, :ninja:

But its important to note that only a orthodox priest with permission may instruct and catechized a official catechumen with plans to join the Orthodox Church.

Last edited:
After The Orthodox Church, you may want to get a copy of The Orthodox Way by the same author. If there are any Orthodox Churches near you they almost always will have some sort of classes going on that are taught by either a priest or deacon.

Parzival

I know that the Catholic Church offers RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) classes for those interested in learning their tradition, does the Orthodox Church have any sort of equivalent?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, you could take individual sessions from a parish priest, or attend weekly classes. Then there is adult chrismation (just an anointing with holy oil), done during Divine Liturgy once the parish priest has decided you are ready to be accepted into the EOC.

Biblestudent_007

I'm interested in a complete education in Eastern Christianity. (Church teaching,Liturgics,Music,Dogmatics and etc) + (Arts & Culture) . .