• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duck Dynasty star indefinitely suspended for anti-gay remarks - right move or PC run amok?

Although a long way from being a Christian, I enjoy the show. I like the emphasis of, and reliance upon, friends and family.

The Robertson family means well, but they're a product of their times and geography. They're ignorant (especially Phil and Si) of things modern and treat them with disdain. Their values reflect their (lack of) education and exposure to a wider world.

That said, I must emphasize that they mean well and have good hearts. I hope this experience becomes a growing one for Phil - that he comes to realize that some of the bible is - well, let's just say "incorrect."

In the meantime, I think the network is well within its rights to suspend him for a time. I kind of doubt it'll effect the show's popularity. The liberals will still tune in, preparing to be horrified and the Tea Party-ers will be raining on A@E's parade, sporting "Free Phil" buttons and watching to see when Phil gets pardoned.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
This reporter stirred up controversy because that is what many reporters do. Who would have even known there was an interview if not for this.
It's up to all of us to expose systemic dehumanization wherever it exists. It's not "controversy," it's resistance.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I hope this experience becomes a growing one for Phil - that he comes to realize that some of the bible is - well, let's just say "incorrect.

Not incorrect, but in need of being placed into proper context. I pointed out that that verse is mistranslated and misinterpreted.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Being country isn't really an excuse.... country bumpkins know better just like everyone else.

I was raised hunting and eating squirrels, knew how to shoot a bow and shotgun before I could ride a bike. Being all around the U.S. and several other countries I've never met non-country people who had definitively better manners and common sense.

This is just having a big mouth and making a stupid mistake.

Everybody needs to focus on being a smart, decent human-being first and let the perfection of their religion or philosophy follow. If the particular flavor of the particular religion or philosophy gets in the way of being a smart, decent human-being - it's the clue that it needs to evolve or get left behind.

Awoon

Male on Male sexual acts in the Bible was about Rape, not loving relationships between same sex people. Phil is ignorant to his own Biblical teachings.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Male on Male sexual acts in the Bible was about Rape, not loving relationships between same sex people. Phil is ignorant to his own Biblical teachings.

Most people are rather ignorant on that subject. When I learned the actual context of those verses, it helped me to accept myself as an LGBT Christian.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The Duck Dynasty show looks to be over. The children said they cannot continue without their father.

It will be interesting to see if the network backpedals.

sojourner

The Duck Dynasty show looks to be over. The children said they cannot continue without their father.

It will be interesting to see if the network backpedals.
I hope they do the right thing and stick to their guns. Somebody has to stand up against this kind of nonsense.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Well, you know, they say the blessing at meals, they shoot guns. This really rubs folks the wrong way.

This guy did not go out to futher his beliefs or shove them down anyone's throat. He has no agenda. He does not bring this subject up.

He was asked a question and he gave an honest answer. GQ knew the answer, they just wanted to set him up.

Now it is A&E's decision to make.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Well, you know, they say the blessing at meals, they shoot guns. This really rubs folks the wrong way.

This guy did not go out to futher his beliefs or shove them down anyone's throat. He has no agenda. He does not bring this subject up.

He was asked a question and he gave an honest answer. GQ knew the answer, they just wanted to set him up.

True.... but you gotta be a smart celebrity and live with being a target 24/7. Many will make mistakes, some get caught and demonized.

sojourner

I don't care about prayer or guns. What I do care about is systemic dehumanization disguised as morality. His "honest answer" should have been something more along the lines of "I disagree with that lifestyle." That's honest and doesn't seek to objectify and dehumanize anyone. If he can't be respectful toward fellow human beings, he has no business on TV.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I don't care about prayer or guns. What I do care about is systemic dehumanization disguised as morality. His "honest answer" should have been something more along the lines of "I disagree with that lifestyle." That's honest and doesn't seek to objectify and dehumanize anyone. If he can't be respectful toward fellow human beings, he has no business on TV.

Bingo was his name-o.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yeah, I can't see a good fit for Phil to do an interview with GQ in the first place.

Let's review his Christian Doctrine, he believes we all are sinners and are in need of God's grace.

I really don't see hate in his heart or wishes anyone bad will.

Now his speech is offensive to many and I support A&E to run their network as they please.

I personally don't think they will put their sensibilities before profit, but if they do, I actually will be impressed.

The Robinsons will not sell out their father, they will all walk putting their principles before money.

This is going to be a very interesting event.

Enai de a lukal

Freedom of speech to compare homosexuality to bestiality?
Freedom of speech doesn't include a public platform from which to preach intolerance and ignorant, superstitious bigotry. Being booted off the show is hardly a breach of freedom of speech.

Why is this an issue?
Um... What? Read what you've quoted once again, it's pretty self-explanatory.

Are conservative Christian perspectives on marriage and homosexuality being silenced?
We can only hope so, since "conservative Christian perspectives on marriage and homosexuality" are offensive, anachronistic, pernicious, and ultimately unjustifiable.

Did A&E make the right decision to suspend Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson indefinitely?
Yup, the right decision from both an ethical and a financial perspective.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We can only hope so, since "conservative Christian perspectives on marriage and homosexuality" are offensive, anachronistic, pernicious, and ultimately unjustifiable.
LOL, I just love how you move away from Phil Robinson and his suspension from A&E to all Conservative Christians suck. Nice broad brush man and off topic to boot! You do realise you attacked a whole group of people with obvious hate in your heart. You take offense to justify your hate speech.

You don't have a right to not be offended. :slap:

Slapstick

I agree with this. GQ is a terrible magazine to being with. GQ and A&E wouldn’t have half of the publicity if it wasn’t for the duck caller makers and their reality TV show.

I actually view this as the complete opposite. It seems as if people are discriminating against Phil for being who he is and what he believes, because he isn’t discriminating against the LGBT community. If anyone read the entire GQ article then they would realize that the media has cherry picked one section to discriminate against a show on A&E they care little to nothing about. The ducker caller makers could probably buy out the A&E and make it their own cable channel if they really wanted to. They had their own business long before A&E and the only thing cable news has done is publicize it.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The thing is, I support A&E to run their network as they see fit. I am enjoying watching their moral fiber being tested. Lets see what their final decision will be now that the Robertsons are all in.

Slapstick

The thing is, I support A&E to run their network as they see fit. I am enjoying watching their moral fiber being tested. Lets see what their final decision will be now that the Robertsons are all in.
If Phil isn't allowed back on the show the rest of the family said they will no longer film anything. Their fan-base, the people that actually watch and enjoy show have already started and signed a petition against A&E for banning him.

On top of that, everything that was said on GQ is nothing that hasn't already been said on show already. It is just a bunch of bellyachers crying foul (fowl).

Which is kind of funny if you think about considering it is a duck hunting show and about a family that is devoted to wild-life and duck hunting.

Enai de a lukal

LOL, I just love how you move away from Phil Robinson and his suspension from A&E to all Conservative Christians suck.
Um, never said that. I quoted the phrase from the OP, "conservative Christian perspectives on marriage and homosexuality", taking this to be clearly referring to the view expressed by Phil Robertson- mildly paraphrased as the view that homosexuality is wrong/a sin/immoral/etc. Now, whether or not characterizing this view as "the conservative Christian perspective" is accurate is another question- but I didn't wish to quibble about the OP's phrasing, but to say something about the viewpoint he was talking about.

(and besides, lets not pussyfoot around it- opposition to homosexuality is, in general, the conservative Christian view; this is not a stretch)

You do realise you attacked a whole group of people with obvious hate in your heart. You take offense to justify your hate speech.
Flattering of you to speculate about what I have in my heart- and as much as I could say something clever like "the only thing I hate is hate" or, "the only thing I'm intolerant of is intolerance", that would not, strictly speaking, be correct; my attitude towards the homophobia of some Christians (and others) falls somewhere between annoyance and moral indignation- "hate" is far too strong a word. But nice try.

You don't have a right to not be offended. :slap:
Derp. I never claimed I did. But my lack of a right to "not be offended' is comletely irrelevant here- the point is that getting kicked off a TV show for slandering homosexuals, even if its based on your religious views, is not a violation of your freedom of speech. My rights have nothing to do with it. If you work on a popular TV show and bash an entire segment of the population, you should pretty much expect to get fired. Seems like common sense, not "political correctness run amok".

Me Myself

Back to my username

Nope, I think Rick has a point.

Hs opinion sucks, but he was asked his opinion and he gave it.

About objectifying, thats a ridiculous word I see thrown around everywhere.

Hs point is that they are horrible people. Chairs wouldnt be as insulting to him.