• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dualistic Dehumanization (term paper, ONA case study)

MikeF

Premium Member
Dualistic Dehumanization: Dehumanizing Ideology, the Dual Character Concept, and Atrocities

Written for Philosophy of Dehumanization

"I posit that ideological/metaphysical dehumanization can help us explain dehumanization in accordance with the Dual Character Concept, and is a key driver behind atrocities based in dehumanization, such as murder, suicide bombing, and genocide."

PDF: Dualistic Dehumanization (term paper, ONA case study)

Is dehumanization a driver of the atrocities you list or is it an enabling mechanism to permit engagement in such atrocities to achieve some goal? If so, the drive or source for the goal would be found elsewhere, not in the act of dehumanization itself.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Is dehumanization a driver of the atrocities you list or is it an enabling mechanism to permit engagement in such atrocities to achieve some goal? If so, the drive or source for the goal would be found elsewhere, not in the act of dehumanization itself.
That is a very good question. I'm also unhappy about the fact that I portrayed this type of dualism as inherently negative. This is one of those classes I wish was multiple semesters long! A huge problem I have with my my return to academia off the bat is having to pick an idea early on and then never let it go lest you make yourself a whole semester of work.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"True human" is a path towards no true Scot, it seems. We are human. There is no "true human." People are using a logical fallacy when they say "true x." Why is it found here?
It misuses Aryan as the Nazis did and not as scholars would (to refer to a proto Indo-European language, very specifically of ancient Indo-Iranian groups).
09A is widely recognized as a terrorist and extremist group.
Extremism isn't the only place dehumanizing happens. Even more mainstream groups regularly do it. Southern Baptists, for example, regularly dehumanize everyone who isn't like them. Sports fans are known for engaging in a lighter version of dehumanization. Even just regular people who especially don't like a specific person or group.

MikeF

Premium Member
That is a very good question. I'm also unhappy about the fact that I portrayed this type of dualism as inherently negative. This is one of those classes I wish was multiple semesters long! A huge problem I have with my my return to academia off the bat is having to pick an idea early on and then never let it go lest you make yourself a whole semester of work.

I get that it might be more work, but isn't that part of the process, start with an idea or hypothesis and then, as you dig in and work to build your case, new information or reconciling conflicting information forces you to refine and improve the the initial idea?

I wish you all the best in your return to academia. Good luck! :)

Premium Member
All
"True human" is a path towards no true Scot, it seems. We are human. There is no "true human." People are using a logical fallacy when they say "true x." Why is it found here?
It's found here because that is how people think. Whether psychological essentialism is valid is a wholly different matter and it is widely debated. I would say most scholars probably reject essentialism but see it as key to dehumanization.
It misuses Aryan as the Nazis did and not as scholars would (to refer to a proto Indo-European language, very specifically of ancient Indo-Iranian groups).
Hence quotes
09A is widely recognized as a terrorist and extremist group.
Finally, we were fighting them off in the LHP DIR before most took the seriously.
Extremism isn't the only place dehumanizing happens. Even more mainstream groups regularly do it. Southern Baptists, for example, regularly dehumanize everyone who isn't like them. Sports fans are known for engaging in a lighter version of dehumanization. Even just regular people who especially don't like a specific person or group.
For sure. I'm not even sure if this is inherently bad, like seeing Hitler as a "monster" is clearly demonizing dehumanization, but I wouldn't say it's wrong or impractical. I wish I'd focused more on the action side than the ideological side, I think actions are where the real problems arise. Like just because I may see a modern nazi as a bad/failed human, my action would be to rehabilitate, not to oppress and murder.

Last edited:

Premium Member
I get that it might be more work, but isn't that part of the process, start with an idea or hypothesis and then, as you dig in and work to build your case, new information or reconciling conflicting information forces you to refine and improve the the initial idea?

As an overall process yes, but for a term paper in a class that won't even count for my masters meh. I'll surely revisit it on my own over more time. I don't disagree with my findings or anything, I just need way more than 4500 words haha

Premium Member

Ugggghhh now I am wondering how fast I can rewrite a 10 page paper lol