• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dropping Out of High School: The Other Option

Fluffy

A fool
Mel is right on this Druidus. When you get older and job hunt you will learn in the first two years or maybe sooner that when marketing yourself to employers appearance and perception count for a lot. The sterotype presented to high school drops may nor may not be accurate the going perception is that of unmotivated and cognatively challenged.
Perhaps, however, if you are a drop out, and therefore assumedly have a tendancy to go for things which you will enjoy, a job which "discriminates" against drop outs in this way is unlikely to appeal to you? Staying in school and ending up in that job will make you miserable as opposed to being forced to go out there and find out what you really want.

I mean look at my school where we have a philosophy of "if you don't get the best then it wasn't worth trying". A b at A-level is frowned upon even though it is above average. How on earth is placing this much stress and pressure onto a child worth it EVEN if they end up with straight As and a 6 figure salary in some job they are only doing for the money?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I'm an aspiring writer. I don't need college or high school to sell myself to a publisher or agent. I need a good manuscript.

The other career path I want is zoology, and, specifically, primatology. Obviously, you need a degree for this, and I plan to go to university. However, I also understand that every Ivy level university has accepted autodidaacts, who taught themselves without school. Most universities actually profess a desire for such students, as they are able to motivate themselves, and are unlikely to break under a challenge (Don't kid yourself. Learning at home may be fun, but it is a challenege).