• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreams

LiLrEd

What do you really think dreams are? They are one of my favorite things to think about. I dont believe we will ever really know what they are...so one can only guess. I'd love to know your ideas.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
I think that they're a cognitive discharge resulting from the biological brain's upkeep processes. That is, when we sleep, the brain undergoes certain clean-up and filing operations. These brain operations create mind-manifestations that we perceive as dreams. In essence, dreams are the little bits of paper that litter the floor after you clean out a hole-puncher.

This is, however, just a guess. Dreams are so poorly understood scientifically that I don't pretend that this is an authoritative guess. It simply fits with the data I have and merges into my total theory of mind. So there ya go.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
They are random firings with a little E.S.P(and some therapy) ?And ghosts....Plus hopefully a little sleep..

Love

DAllas

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
You're right, LilRed, dreams are fascinating. Neurologically speaking, one theory which I favor is that they serve a kind of safety-valve function that makes it possible for the subconscious mind to express itself.

Sleep is the only form of unconsciousness that does not indicate a serious health condition. REM, or rapid-eye-movement sleep, is when most dreaming occurs. During REM sleep, oxygen absorption is actually higher than it is in a fully alert individual; blood pressure, heart rate, respiration are all elevated, while digestive motility is down. In other words, you have a sympathetic nervous system reaction during the REM stage of sleep. REM brain waves are also typical of alertness, not unconsciousness.

It has been noted that lack of REM sleep has ill effects on people; we need to dream. This is why I believe the safety-valve idea has merit; dreams give our neural pathways outlets for excess energy.

It's also fascinating to me that during REM sleep, a temporary paralysis is in place throughout the muscles and skeleton; this prevents the acting out of dreams.

Someone is probably now thinking, 'Aha! What about sleepwalking?' Well, this is another fascinating facet of dreaming and sleep: although most dreams occur in REM stage sleep, nightmares and night terrors tend to occur during NREM stages 3 and 4; sleepwalking often coincides with night terrors, and nightmares are statistically speaking acted out more often than pleasant dreams.

This is a brief summary of what neurological science can say about dreams. As to what they mean, it is my opinion that depends on the dream. I've had dreams that were messages from my subconscious: you know, you dream about frantically looking for a bathroom in an unfamiliar place, and can't get to one; so you wake up and find you really need to find a bathroom (but presumably it's easier than in the dream!). Or I've dreamt about things I neglected to do, and that served me as a reminder the next day.

I've also had dreams that were nonsense, and dreams that were in my opinion a form of soul travel, or shamanic journeying. This is all outside the realm of science, which can only penetrate neurological mysteries so far at this point. But of course it's discovering more every day!

Dezzie

Possibly something to do with our imagination and subconscious. I can't really say anything other than that. Dreams are very interesting but also hard to understand.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My son is fixing to be "treated " for the sleep paralysis..he has the "bad kind".

He's paralyzed (cant move) and there are lots of evil things around him..(and I swear its not me Im in another room)..

So Im going to get him some sleeping pills ..Thats the only thing I know what to do because he is terroized by this several times a week..its too much..

Love

Dallas

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
This sounds like a classic manifestation of night-terrors, which is part of a sleep disorder. My daughter had them when she was 4-5 years old, and as a mother it was agonizing to watch and not be able to help her.

The paralysis is something I suspect may be hereditary; my mother's side of the family all have what you describe, and it seems exclusive to the women. No idea why! But have you or your husband ever experienced something similar? The only thing that worked for me when I had the paralysis was learning to be calm enough to focus on being able to speak; once I could speak a word, the paralysis would break. I think it is a malfunction of the natural sleep process, unfortunately, but it should pass.

However, knowing it will pass does not always make it easier to bear in the present, especially for a child! Have you thought of taking him to a sleep center for evaluation?

LittlePinky82

I think it just depends on the dream. I know for me a lot of the times it's just my subconscious working out issues that I'm going through. It's a good way to get a different view point of a situation and to think about it in another light. I've also had visions in dreams. Through having them for a few years now I've learned to tell the difference. I also think it's an easier way for spirits to contact us as well with messages that we aren't getting in the waking world. But as another poster said we're really so clueless about dreams it's just guesses.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Dreams are usually just dreams, but can be used by spirit beings to transmit messages.