• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draupadi a goddess?

Cypress

Dragon Mom
I did a search on web to find out more about Draupadi, the heroine from the Mahabharata.
I was surprised that there is a tradition of regarding her as a goddess.
As per The Garuda Purana Draupadi is the incarnation of Bharati-Devi, The Consort of Lord Vayu.
As per Narada and Vayu Puranas, Draupadi was composite Avatar of Goddesses Shyamala (wife of Dharma), Bharati (Wife of Vayu), Sachi (wife of Indra), Usha (wife of Ashwinis) and hence married their earthly counterparts in the form of the five Pandavas.
Enraged at a jest by Parvati, Shyamala, Sachi and Usha, Brahma cursed them to human birth.
Parvati thought of the solution wherein they will be born as one woman, Draupadi and hence share the earthly body for a smaller period of time.
They requested Bharati to be with them in their human birth.
Draupadi's characteristic fight against injustice reflects Parvati or her Shakti, Kali inhabiting Draupadi's mortal flesh at times.
At other times, Draupadi was docile and even waited to be rescued (as in case of Jayadratha and Jatasura) showing the qualities of other goddesses like Sachi and Usha.
Other times, she showed astuteness in hiding their true identity and asking Vayu putra Bhima to kill the evil Keechaka like Goddess Bharati would.
Draupadi was also avatar of Goddess Shree or Wealth who was joint wife to five Indras, aka Five Pandavas.
She was to be born several times for imprisoning the Indras. First time was as Vedavati who cursed Ravana (who is another goddess Avatar Swaha, wife to Agni). She then came again as Maya-Sita especially to take revenge from Ravana while Agni hid the real Sita.
Third one was partial either Damyanti (whose husband Nala was equivalent to Dharma, Vayu, Indra just like the Pandavas) and her daughter Nalayani.
She married Sage Mudgala.
The fifth avatar was Draupadi herself.
So we find in Draupadi, a composite avatar of Kali, Parvati, Sachi, Shyamala, Usha, Bharati, Shree, Swaha, the eight goddesses.
source

Does someone know more about this?
When Daraupadi is a goddess, why do then all her children die in the Mahabharata war?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you think it is significant that her children die in the war?

Cypress

Dragon Mom
Why do you think it is significant that her children die in the war?
Because when she had possesed the power to save them, she certainly has done so.
Not mother let's her child die!

Is there any mantra or dhyana of Draupadi?

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

Because when she had possesed the power to save them, she certainly has done so.
Not mother let's her child die!

Is there any mantra or dhyana of Draupadi?

I have not studied the Garuda Purana so I cannot answer the question. There were a lot of incarnations of devas and Asuras running around that battlefield. Why would she have any more control then anybody else?

I have never heard she was a devi. I don't think it's in the Mahabhrata but I could be wrong.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
True, a lot of the personalities are great souls. Even Arjuna is an eternal companion of Lord Krishna. I do not think that in their material bodies they have memory of their past lives. Just like you and I have no memories or abilities that are associated with previous lives.

And if she was a powerful goddess in the body of Draupadi then she would be aware of the fact that this life is only a temporary illusion and there would be no point to suffering over the loss of her children. They all met again in the afterlife, according to the story.

Wannabe Yogi

Are there incarnations of Devi at all?
Vishnus has some incarnations, not sure about Shiva...

Radha and Sita are both seen as incarnations of the Devi. Adi Sankara is seen as an Incarnation of Siva. In general Vishnu rules the category of Incarnations. It is a very Important part of the Vaishnava belief system.

Cypress

Dragon Mom
Of course. Radha, Sati, Parvati, Sarasvati etc. are all manifestations of the Female.
Parvati and Sarasvati ar no incarnations, they are aspects of Devi.
By incarnation I mean in human form, on earth.

Sati - she is not one of my favourites, pativrata is an idea I dislike.
I favour Durga, Kali, Lalita-Tripurasundari, Bharavi, Parvati...., the goddesses connected with Shiva are far more interesting than Sati or Lakshmi.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Parvati and Sarasvati ar no incarnations, they are aspects of Devi.
By incarnation I mean in human form, on earth.

Sati - she is not one of my favourites, pativrata is an idea I dislike.
I favour Durga, Kali, Lalita-Tripurasundari, Bharavi, Parvati...., the goddesses connected with Shiva are far more interesting than Sati or Lakshmi.

Sati was Shiva's wife...