• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Phil's, "House of Hatred"

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I really didn't intend for this to be a commentary on Dr. Phil, but rather a discussion for those of us who saw the episode on the strategies they use to overcome their hate. Are they useful? Is there some connection to our own lives? We may not be filled with hate like these people, but each and every one of us have prejudices against some other group, we may not act on them but it's still there.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maize said:
I really didn't intend for this to be a commentary on Dr. Phil, but rather a discussion for those of us who saw the episode on the strategies they use to overcome their hate. Are they useful? Is there some connection to our own lives? We may not be filled with hate like these people, but each and every one of us have prejudices against some other group, we may not act on them but it's still there.

I watched some episodes of Black/White, which had a similar theory to it as this does. For those of you who didn't hear about that, it was a black family with a son and a white family with a daughter, and they did great makeup jobs so they could all "pass" as members of the other race. The idea was to let each family see what it was like living on the other side, as it were, in the hope that there might be some understanding.

There were some good points to it, but I could only stomach a few episodes.

I'm not sure anyone watching would've learned that much. I suspect people would see pretty much what they wanted to see.

As for Dr. Phil's program, if they show some concrete methods for dealing with people who hate you, that could make a difference, especially for those who are the targets all of the time. Does he do any of that? Or is it just toss the roosters in the pen and see who comes out alive?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Booko said:
As for Dr. Phil's program, if they show some concrete methods for dealing with people who hate you, that could make a difference, especially for those who are the targets all of the time. Does he do any of that? Or is it just toss the roosters in the pen and see who comes out alive?

I dunno. :shrug: I don't really ever watch his show and just happened to catch this one. We wait and see.