• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Paul Farmer: Medicine and liberation theology

pearl

Remembering Dr Paul Farmer

Proponents of liberation theology have maintained for decades that people of faith must make a preferential option for the poor. As discussed by Leonardo Boff of Brazil, a leading contributor to the movement, "the church's option is a preferential option for the poor, against their poverty." The poor, Boff adds, "are those who suffer injustice. Their poverty is produced by mechanisms of impoverishment and exploitation. Their poverty is therefore an evil and an injustice."

There are important corollaries to this sense that injustice is being done. One is that the viewpoints of poor people will inevitably be suppressed or neglected as long as elites control most means of communication. Thus the observation and judgment steps will usually be difficult, because vested interests, including those controlling development efforts, have an obvious stake in shaping observations and in attenuating harsh judgments about deplorable conditions.

Finally, the liberation theologians and the base communities from which they draw their inspiration agree that it is necessary to act on these reflections. The act part of the formula implies much more than reporting one's findings. Jon Sobrino, a Jesuit theologian in EI Salvador, has put it this way: "There is no doubt that the only correct way to love the poor will be to struggle for their liberation. This liberation will consist, first and foremost, in their liberation at the most elementary level-that of their simple, physical life, which is what is at stake in the present situation."
Dr. Paul Farmer: Medicine and liberation theology | America Magazine

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Has liberation ever been accomplished without bloodshed?
Yes, such as the end of the Raj in India. However, granted that this was and is rare, but it does show the strength of non-violent action-- not pacifism.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some, including me, would give this same interpretation to Jesus' 'turn the other cheek.'
Absolutely, imo.

What is the big QUESTION on this is that this approach is in contrast to Jewish Law which mandated that we must do our best to protect the innocent even if it were to mean going to wars of defense. Halacha has it that only prophets can call for a war of offense, and since the prophetic age has long been over, we should not get involved in such wars imo.

Thus, here's where I have to part with Gandhi's teaching on this and go with the Just-War Theory. It's imperfect, leaves possible loopholes, but it's still the best course, imo.

What about you?

pearl

Thus, here's where I have to part with Gandhi's teaching on this and go with the Just-War Theory. It's imperfect, leaves possible loopholes, but it's still the best course, imo.

I agree. In our own history, in my opinion, we have had wars that were not justified: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan was questionable, we ought to have left after Binladen was caught at the very least. Fortunately, hopefully there are other options of crippling a country without actual warfare.