• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Try This In A Small Town, Or Rural Nevada

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that some climate activist thought it might be a good idea to block the higway to the Burning Man, that is until Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe chairman James Phoenix said Rangers,of the tribal law enforcement agency, were called to clear the highway.
And for certain members of this forum

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard of Burning Man before, but didn't know much about them. So, I looked at their site: About Us

Burning Man is a network of people inspired by the values reflected in the Ten Principles and united in the pursuit of a more creative and connected existence in the world. Throughout the year we work to build Black Rock City, home of the largest annual Burning Man gathering, and nurture the distinctive culture emerging from that experience. The hub of this global network is the 501(c)(3) non-profit Burning Man Project, headquartered in San Francisco, California.

Mission Statement​

The mission of Burning Man Project is to facilitate and extend the culture that has issued from the Burning Man event into the larger world.

For the mission of Burning Man, head here.

The LA Times had this quote from one of the protest leaders:

“The blockade is also in protest against the popularization of Burning Man among affluent people who do not live the stated values of Burning Man, resulting in the commodification of the event,” Seven Circles said. “The group emphasizes the current existential crisis and importance of honesty when social collapse is at risk.”

In its statement, Seven Circles criticized Burning Man’s “apolitical stance” and what it characterizes as the event’s insufficient steps toward “attaining carbon negativity and ecological regeneration for Black Rock City by 2030.”

“Much more can and must be done,” the group said.

The group has put forward three demands for Burning Man leadership, including advocating for systemic political and economic change, mobilizing Burners to collaborate with social justice and environmental movements on strikes and calls to actions to enforce bringing about systemic change and to “lead by example.”

An online petition started by Emily Collins, a burner and co-founder of Rave Revolution, one of the groups involved in the protest, had collected 23 signatures early Monday morning.

Burning Man began Sunday and runs through Sept. 4, according to the Burning Man Project website.

Seems like an event which attracts a lot of tourists; I read they have as many as 80,000 people there during their festival. Not really a "small town," although I'm not sure what one would call it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It appears that this group protesting the Burning Man aren't the only ones with a beef: Marjorie Taylor Greene thinks Burning Man guests are being 'brainwashed' to think the Earth will explode

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) sounded the alarm that the attendees of Burning Man are being indoctrinated.

Burning Man has been largely made up of hippies who create a community and society for a week that operates on a barter system and gifts. The old-school Burning Man was once described by The New York Times as "50,000 stoned, half-naked hippies doing sun salutations while techno music thumps through the air." So, it's unclear who Greene thinks could be indoctrinated.

"We are watching, you know, 73-75,000 people in Nevada and they're locked in there from the floods," said Greene. By the time she made the comments, however, the RVs were rolling and attendees were starting to leave.

Greene explained that she was "glad" to see those at Burning Man inconvenienced.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Seems that some climate activist thought it might be a good idea to block the higway to the Burning Man, that is until Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe chairman James Phoenix said Rangers,of the tribal law enforcement agency, were called to clear the highway.
And for certain members of this forum
Those people are just bat**** crazy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those people are just bat**** crazy.

Yeah, although in a way, I can sort of see where they're coming from. They think that the people involved in it have commercialized it and aren't really practicing what they preach - which seems to be a problem across the board in politics these days.

Of course, on the other side, you have MTG and her crowd getting all riled up about it, worried that it's something "satanic" - some evil ritual. Truly horrifying.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, although in a way, I can sort of see where they're coming from. They think that the people involved in it have commercialized it and aren't really practicing what they preach - which seems to be a problem across the board in politics these days.

Of course, on the other side, you have MTG and her crowd getting all riled up about it, worried that it's something "satanic" - some evil ritual. Truly horrifying.
Remember that guy some years ago who just ran into the fire and immolated himself to death?

I'd swear that festival is cursed and I don't believe in curses!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Remember that guy some years ago who just ran into the fire and immolated himself to death?

I'd swear that festival is cursed and I don't believe in curses!

I've only really had a passing interest in the whole thing. It's not really my bag.

Although the article here mentioned previous incidents:

"People try to run into the fire as part of their spiritual portion of Burning Man," Allen said. "The significance of the man burning, it's just kind of a rebirth, they burn the man to the ground, a new chapter has started. It's part of their tenants of radical self-expression."

Known for eclectic artwork, offbeat theme camps, concerts and other entertainment, Burning Man began in San Francisco before moving to Nevada in 1990. Over the years as the event grew in popularity, deaths and crime have been reported, ranging from car crashes to drug use.

In 2014, a man in Utah died by jumping into a huge ceremonial bonfire in an event that was similar to Burning Man. It was investigated as a suicide.

Sounds like some kind of hippie Disneyland. They could turn it into a year-round theme park, with rides and everything.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I've only really had a passing interest in the whole thing. It's not really my bag.

Although the article here mentioned previous incidents:

Sounds like some kind of hippie Disneyland. They could turn it into a year-round theme park, with rides and everything.

I went to Burning Man around 1994, before it was commercialized and was more of an underground thing. It was wonderfully surreal; a barely controlled chaos of art and music. It seems to have morphed into an RV-based drug camping experience for aging techo-hippies.