• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't report the sexual abuse, Pope said !!!!!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
pope300906_228x424.jpg

Pope Benedict XVI Led Cover-Up of Pedophile Priests?

What involvement did Pope Benedict XVI with the cover-up of the sexual abuse of children committed by so many Catholic priests in America? Perhaps quite a bit. A recent report indicates that while he was still Cardinal Raztinger, he was personally responsible for issuing a document in 2001 instructing all bishops to put the interests of the church ahead of those of law enforcement - and children.

If there is any truth to these charges, it will be a serious blow to the credibility of Pope Benedict. Liberal Catholics are already wary of him for a long list of reasons. Conservative Catholics who are hoping for good things from this papacy will become more wary because few of them will be able to find rationalizations sufficient to justify threatening sexual abuse victims with excommunication if they talk.
The document recommended that rather than reporting sexual abuse to the relevant legal authorities, bishops should encourage the victim, witnesses and perpetrator not to talk about it. And, to keep victims quiet, it threatened that if they repeat the allegations they would be excommunicated. ...

Five years ago he sent out an updated version of the notorious 1962 Vatican document Crimen Sollicitationis - Latin for The Crime of Solicitation - which laid down the Vatican's strict instructions on covering up sexual scandal. It was regarded as so secret that it came with instructions that bishops had to keep it locked in a safe at all times.

Cardinal Ratzinger reinforced the strict cover-up policy by introducing a new principle: that the Vatican must have what it calls Exclusive Competence. In other words, he commanded that all child abuse allegations should be dealt with direct by Rome.

Patrick Wall, a former Vatican-approved enforcer of the Crimen Sollicitationis in America, tells the programme: "I found out I wasn't working for a holy institution, but an institution that was wholly concentrated on protecting itself."

Source: This is London

The report also quotes Father Tom Doyle, a former Vatican lawyer who was reportedly dismissed for criticizing the church for its handling of child abuse allegations:
"What you have here is an explicit written policy to cover up cases of child sexual abuse by the clergy and to punish those who would call attention to these crimes by the churchmen. When abusive priests are discovered, the response has been not to investigate and prosecute but to move them from one place to another. So there's total disregard for the victims and for the fact that you are going to have a whole new crop of victims in the next place. This is happening all over the world."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the heck?​

How can someone feel comfortable sending his/her children to churches alone anymore this way?​

Do you think the victims shouldn't talk about it for the sake of the repetition of the church as the pope meant to say?​

Source: http://atheism.about.com/b/a/258250.htm

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hmmm. The fact that the link and information is from atheism.com leads me to wonder about the objectivity of the story.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I've heard nothing of this story, but it doesn't surprise me. Ratzinger urged Croatia not to arrest Ante Gotovina before he was Pope.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Truth said:
How can someone feel comfortable sending his/her children to churches alone anymore this way?
I'm not going to comment on the sexual abuse or any possible cover-up. But I do want to answer this one question by stating that people shouldn't send their children to church alone anyway. They should take them to church and worship as a family. If church is good for the kids, it should be good for the parents, too. Otherwise, what kind of a message does it send the kids?

kai

ragamuffin
wow! from a member who expressly wishes us not to use biased websites when posting about Islam?

caught me out there you devilishly devious poster i had already taken the bait before i noticed atheism.com

crafty as a fox i believe he is making a point here but what?

cant wait for the next episode!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would like to see much more evidence for these charges before giving them credence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The Truth said:
How can someone feel comfortable sending his/her children to churches alone anymore this way?​

Do you think the victims shouldn't talk about it for the sake of the repetition of the church as the pope meant to say?​

Source: http://atheism.about.com/b/a/258250.htm

This is a very dreadful thing, and yes, I don't (personally) think that the Pope is correct in trying to 'hush' the problem up.

Unfortunately, parents feel uncomfortable sending their children anywhere nowadays.
When my son was 12, he went to the local Park with a friend (to play with a football). The two managed to get lost, and we called the police in to help.

The police found them soon enough, but told me that I should not have let my son go to the park without a parent being with him.

Life has become ........different. And, I must say, I wish it had not.

I don't think that the Pope can ask that of parents. But I think that that is upto all individual parents to decide.
I wish it was not true, but I think it may well be so.​

Pah

Uber all member
It's old news. The particulars match some of the details that came out of (then) Cardinal Raztinger's office. The interview with the victim and priest was considered as having the secrecy of the confessional. The report was not to be made to police officals but to be forwarded up the chain.

I don't know why Kilne would mention it again except there is a "recenty report" as Kline says. The report, at the link Kline provided, says
Five years ago he sent out an updated version of the notorious 1962 Vatican document Crimen Sollicitationis - Latin for The Crime of Solicitation - which laid down the Vatican's strict instructions on covering up sexual scandal. It was regarded as so secret that it came with instructions that bishops had to keep it locked in a safe at all times.

Cardinal Ratzinger reinforced the strict cover-up policy by introducing a new principle: that the Vatican must have what it calls Exclusive Competence. In other words, he commanded that all child abuse allegations should be dealt with direct by Rome.

Added - the BBC broadcast the story 6 October 2006

Ryan2065

Hmmm. The fact that the link and information is from atheism.com leads me to wonder about the objectivity of the story.
wow! from a member who expressly wishes us not to use biased websites when posting about Islam?

caught me out there you devilishly devious poster i had already taken the bait before i noticed atheism.com

So one link is from atheist.com while the second one is from "This London"... As far as I know that isn't a biased website...

Or is it because one of the sites could possibly have a bias the story is wrong?

Pah

Uber all member
Ryan2065 said:
So one link is from atheist.com while the second one is from "This London"... As far as I know that isn't a biased website...

Or is it because one of the sites could possibly have a bias the story is wrong?
We'll have to ask out British friends if the BBC is biased for that seems to be generatingf the re-newed interest

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pah said:
We'll have to ask out British friends if the BBC is biased for that seems to be generatingf the re-newed interest

The BBC is supposed to be totally neutral, seeing as it is funded by the tax payer.

This is a very regretable and sad saga; it cannot help anyone, raking over these coals, and it can only do the Roman Catholic Church a lot of harm.

That an entire faith should be tarred with the sins and weakness of some human priests is an over reaction; the same could be said about any other profession. I can give a case in point - that of a girl who had been sexually abused by a pedophile; it was later revealed that the policeman in charge of the case had his computer examined, which was found to contain obscene pedophile material.

During the case, he was supporting the grief stricken parents of the girl.............

We are all human, and with humanity comes weakness.:(

Random

By "Exclusive Competence" the Roman Church means it will deal with its own in its own way by virtue of, what, a God-given right? Ratzinger was trying to prevent a public backlash before the media assault over the paedophilia hit full on. I think he thought he could deal with the problem of clerical sex abuse on the QT within the Church without putting Priests @ the mercy of State laws and having the Church obliged to pay out huge sums of money in damages to victims. He was wrong.

I had high hopes for this Pope, but he dissapoints more and more each passing day and month.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
kai said:

The article on the subject from about.com (which I should add the OP is nearly a direct copy of) wasn't something that he just made up, it came from this UK news source. If there is any bias on the story that you should be worried about, it's the original source.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

IF the Church covered up pedophilia then it is deplorable. I am not saying THAT the Church did, but IF they did, not enough bad can come to those in power who did the covering up, and of course, there cannot be enough bad things done to the pedophiles themselves.

I personally would never send my kids to be around a Preist, a Boy Scout Leader, or anyone else for that matter where they would be at risk without myself or another trusted adult to monitor.

B.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kai said:

It was brief and it was the first hit in google when i wanted to search about after reading it in an arabic newspaper.

Anyway, I'll give you some links in here even the others already did.

Here we goooooo ....

Crimen sollicitationis (translated from Latin as The Crime of Solicitation) is a secret document issued by the Holy Office of the Vatican (now the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) in 1962, instructing bishops about how to handle cases in which priests were accused of using the privacy of the confessional to make sexual advances to penitents. The document was drawn up up by Cardinal Alfred Ottaviani and approved by Pope John XXIII. It instructs bishops on how to handle cases of the "worst crime," in which a priest is sexually involved with an animal, child, or man. Canon lawyers disagree about the extent to which the document is still in force.
The document calls for such cases to be handled in secret, and extends that secrecy to the document itself. The document imposes secrecy even upon victims of sexual abuse. Extreme penalties for violations of secrecy, including excommunication that can only be dismissed by the Pope himself, are imposed. Perhaps as a result, some bishops claim not to have known of its existence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimen_sollicitationis

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369148-details/Pope%2B%27led%2Bcover-up%2Bof%2Bchild%2Babuse%2Bby%2Bpriests%27/article.do

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20061002-040641-7265r

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:ZDSTUbOg9JgJ:eek:bserver.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1469055,00.html+observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1469055,00.html&hl=en&gl=my&ct=clnk&cd=1