• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Don't read if you're sensitive) Our sad discovery today

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I have to put this somewhere. I know it's just nature but it's very sad anyway.

I had to run a card out to the mail early today because it's long due. Now, I knew there was a feral cat, and my mom said she saw her with a kitten (hence why we're calling the cat "her"), but to my surprise there were three bundles of tiny kitten fur shivering behind the truck this morning. Mommy cat didn't seem to be around. They ran off as soon as they saw me. I went after them to see if they ran under the cars and then behind my grandma's car I found a fourth kitty.

It wasn't moving. Not even breathing.

I don't think my grandma ran it over. The body was intact and recently dead. My mom said she thinks it was a weak kitten that didn't make it simply because nature isn't kind. I think I agree with her. They looked very young, perhaps only several weeks old. Mammals tend to be most vulnerable when they're still soft and tiny.

My mom's calling someone to trap them. The one that didn't make it was taken to the vet so they can take care of the body. I'm on my bed with my best kitty friend by my side who I know wouldn't accept another kitten in the house. We have enough cats (six total) and our oldest gets really mean. By "mean", I actually mean aggressively murderous, even with me, his human bestie, sometimes. It's a little hard to think about seeing him all cuddly and purring, but I'm sad we can't take in more cats.

I have to do laundry and then start my first online class today, before work. Hopefully that'll make me a little less nervous. I don't like to see little ones dead even if it was a natural cause of death.

Tmac

I had to run a card out to the mail early today because it's long due. Now, I knew there was a feral cat, and my mom said she saw her with a kitten (hence why we're calling the cat "her"), but to my surprise there were three bundles of tiny kitten fur shivering behind the truck this morning. Mommy cat didn't seem to be around. They ran off as soon as they saw me. I went after them to see if they ran under the cars and then behind my grandma's car I found a fourth kitty.

I don't think my grandma ran it over. The body was intact and recently dead. My mom said she thinks it was a weak kitten that didn't make it simply because nature isn't kind. I think I agree with her. They looked very young, perhaps only several weeks old. Mammals tend to be most vulnerable when they're still soft and tiny.

My mom's calling someone to trap them. The one that didn't make it was taken to the vet so they can take care of the body. I'm on my bed with my best kitty friend by my side who I know wouldn't accept another kitten in the house. We have enough cats (six total) and our oldest gets really mean. By "mean", I actually mean aggressively murderous, even with me, his human bestie, sometimes. It's a little hard to think about seeing him all cuddly and purring, but I'm sad we can't take in more cats.

I have to do laundry and then start my first online class today, before work. Hopefully that'll make me a little less nervous. I don't like to see little ones dead even if it was a natural cause of death.

I hope that some day this will make more sense, I don't think that you should be less sensitive as that was the beautiful part. Thanks for sharing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's not unusual for feral cats to have young that die frequently. I feel your pain though.

I was privileged to have adopted three feral kittens found in my garage and managed to trap the mother and another pregnant feral cat that looks salvageable as a pet with the help of people from a wonderful Pet Rescue program not far from where I live who loaned me traps ,cages, and a supply of food as the kittens are taken we're about a couple weeks too early. Their eyes were still blue. My job was to put the kittens in with their mom and have her room and board for another month.

The mother then went underwent spading, chipping, and her ear was cropped for which I let her free in my yard once the kittens were able to survive on their own. The mother hung around for the rest of the summer and I developed quite a bond with her, but once this year rolled around, I never saw her again after the winter.

The good news is her three kittens are still living with me and my wife are all quite well and happy. All of them had shots , neutered and spaded , chipped, and we adopted all of them through the shelter. They're all now beautiful affectionate cats and our pride and joy.

Unfortunately the other feral cat upon giving birth, lost most of her kittens except for two according to the shelter. Many feral animals carry parasites and diseases among other afflictions. The kitten mortality rate is typically High which drives people like those in the shelter to urge people to get their pets spayed and neutered.

I think for every tragic death of an animal, there can be just as many success stories too.

Hopefully that will help cheer you up a little bit. :0)

Laika

Premium Member

I have two cats and very much enjoy their company (although not when they wake me up at 5am :D). There is not much I can say that is going to make this better, but I'm sending a virtual hug if it helps.

:hugehug:

SabahTheLoner

It's not unusual for feral cats to have young that die frequently. I feel your pain though.

I was privileged to have adopted three feral kittens found in my garage and managed to trap the mother and another pregnant feral cat that looks salvageable as a pet with the help of people from a wonderful Pet Rescue program not far from where I live who loaned me traps ,cages, and a supply of food as the kittens are taken we're about a couple weeks too early. Their eyes were still blue. My job was to put the kittens in with their mom and have her room and board for another month.

The mother then went underwent spading, chipping, and her ear was cropped for which I let her free in my yard once the kittens were able to survive on their own. The mother hung around for the rest of the summer and I developed quite a bond with her, but once this year rolled around, I never saw her again after the winter.

The good news is her three kittens are still living with me and my wife are all quite well and happy. All of them had shots , neutered and spaded , chipped, and we adopted all of them through the shelter. They're all now beautiful affectionate cats and our pride and joy.

Unfortunately the other feral cat upon giving birth, lost most of her kittens except for two according to the shelter. Many feral animals carry parasites and diseases among other afflictions. The kitten mortality rate is typically High which drives people like those in the shelter to urge people to get their pets spayed and neutered.

I think for every tragic death of an animal, there can be just as many success stories too.

Hopefully that will help cheer you up a little bit. :0)

Yes, it makes me feel a little better to hear such a nice story. Five of our six cats were rescues. Four were kittens when we got them and our orange tabby was saved from abuse. Only our Egyptian Mau was from a breeder. Maus have beautiful coats but their teeth are very prone to disease. Rescues are usually healthier once they've gotten their shots and get healed if needed.

I hope we trap the mom cat so she can be spayed, and her kittens so they can be fostered.

SabahTheLoner

I have two cats and very much enjoy their company (although not when they wake me up at 5am :D). There is not much I can say that is going to make this better, but I'm sending a virtual hug if it helps.

Thanks for the hug. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Your compassion does you proud.

In the recent past the village i live had a serious feral cat problem. People were wary of visiting the cemetery or decheterie (waste bins)

There were 2 options, culling or neutering. Our Mairie (local council) with the majority agreement of the village (there were a few objectors) chose to retain an animal association and vet to capture, health check and neuter the strays.

Wherever possible the strays are put up for adaption. If adoption proves impossible they are released in the same area they were trapped. Food is left out for them twice daily.

That started almost 2 years ago, a little affirmative action and now we don't have a feral cat problem and even the objector's are happy.