• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't know if my sadhana is too long and/or overdoing it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't do the typical Hindu puja with the bathing and such. And I'm not empowered to do sadhana per Tibetan Buddhism. I offer light, incense, sweets. Because I say prayers to a multiplicity of deities, both Hindu (Krishna/Vishnu; Lakshmi, Saraswati, Rama, Hanuman, Ganesha, Narasimha, Shiva, Devi) and Buddhist (the Twenty-one Taras, Chenrezig, Manjushri and Medicine Buddha). These are for blessings and help. I do japas to Avalokiteshvara (om mani padme hum), to Vishnu and to Shiva (to help in my meditation, He being the greatest of ascetics); and meditation. I found that my sadhana typically takes about an hour. I have a short version in which I offer light, incense, sweets, I say some mantras and a few generic prayers, and maybe a little meditation if I don't feel I can give it "my all". That can take 10-20 mins. Because in all honesty I find I cannot do the full one hour every day. So, I am just wondering how long people generally spend in sadhana, and if there is a way I can or should cut it back, or it's just about right.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
So, I am just wondering how long people generally spend in sadhana, and if there is a way I can or should cut it back, or it's just about right.
I do sadhna when I get time. When I am free I meditate for 5-7 hours. During busy days I do it in 10-15 mins. But I believe that we schould have a static schedule.
:D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow, 5-7 hours for meditation!? That must be quite a feat. The closest I can come to that is sitting in a park or at the beach for 2-3 hours, or even if the house is quiet, in a chair, and letting thoughts come and go, thoughts mostly about being and existence, God, the nature of reality, etc.

But I believe that we schould have a static schedule.
:D

I think so too; discipline and consistency. Hence my conflict (aka analysis paralysis).

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Hence my conflict (aka analysis paralysis).
My Sen-sei calls this the "Centipede Syndrome."
Poem – The centipede
by Mrs Edmund Craster (d. 1874)

A centipede was happy quite,
Until a toad in fun
Said ‘Pray which leg moves after which ?
This raised her doubts to such a pitch
She fell exhausted in a ditch,
Not knowing how to run.

While lying in this plight,
A ray of sunshine caught her sight;
She dwelt upon its beauties long,
Till breaking into happy song,
Unthinking she began to run,
And quite forgot the croakers fun.

Maya3

I don't do the typical Hindu puja with the bathing and such. And I'm not empowered to do sadhana per Tibetan Buddhism. I offer light, incense, sweets. Because I say prayers to a multiplicity of deities, both Hindu (Krishna/Vishnu; Lakshmi, Saraswati, Rama, Hanuman, Ganesha, Narasimha, Shiva, Devi) and Buddhist (the Twenty-one Taras, Chenrezig, Manjushri and Medicine Buddha). These are for blessings and help. I do japas to Avalokiteshvara (om mani padme hum), to Vishnu and to Shiva (to help in my meditation, He being the greatest of ascetics); and meditation. I found that my sadhana typically takes about an hour. I have a short version in which I offer light, incense, sweets, I say some mantras and a few generic prayers, and maybe a little meditation if I don't feel I can give it "my all". That can take 10-20 mins. Because in all honesty I find I cannot do the full one hour every day. So, I am just wondering how long people generally spend in sadhana, and if there is a way I can or should cut it back, or it's just about right.

I think they are too long. You are risking burning out on them and then they will feel like a must instead of a spiritual blessing.
My own pujas which I do rarely are usually just a few minutes. Light, incence, sweets, flower petals and 3 AUMs is usually the extent of them.
Sometimes I chant a little, it depends on the mood.
But I'm not Bhakti so rituals are not my main focus, meditation is.
And I can meditate for over an hour if I have the time or 15-20 minutes if I don't. Oh I love to have the time for a 5 hour meditation like Sumit, but I never do.
Even though if you are Bhakti I don't think that you should feel that they are too long, if you do then it's too much.
If they are shorter you would enjoy the longer ones on occasion.
I went to temple yesterday and it was fantastic, but if I had done it at home every day I think I may have gotten antsy.

Maya

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Reading some of these have made me feel like I really need to pick up my sādhanā again. I always seem to stop doing it. :sad4:

So, I am just wondering how long people generally spend in sadhana, and if there is a way I can or should cut it back, or it's just about right.
Honestly, it depends on yourself, but my personal opinion for the average lay householder, then an hour's probably fine.

If you're getting sidetracked with thoughts then it's probably too long. If you're not, then you should be fine. Just get that balance between not doing too little that, or that feeling you're doing too much that you feel like your relationships, work, or whatever may be suffering.

What do you think? :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

My Sen-sei calls this the "Centipede Syndrome."

Yeah, that example was given in the Wiki article. I've had that happen playing guitar. If I think about a strumming or finger pattern, it all goes to hell in a handbasket... just do it without thinking about it.

I think they are too long. You are risking burning out on them and then they will feel like a must instead of a spiritual blessing.
My own pujas which I do rarely are usually just a few minutes. Light, incence, sweets, flower petals and 3 AUMs is usually the extent of them.
Sometimes I chant a little, it depends on the mood.
But I'm not Bhakti so rituals are not my main focus, meditation is.
And I can meditate for over an hour if I have the time or 15-20 minutes if I don't. Oh I love to have the time for a 5 hour meditation like Sumit, but I never do.
Even though if you are Bhakti I don't think that you should feel that they are too long, if you do then it's too much.
If they are shorter you would enjoy the longer ones on occasion.
I went to temple yesterday and it was fantastic, but if I had done it at home every day I think I may have gotten antsy.

Maya

You are right. Sometimes I feel they are a "must". I've especially felt this way lately because I haven't been in control of my time. See, for well over a year I have been out 3-4 nights a week, lying on some chiropractor's or acupuncturist's or physical therapist's table, being stuck with pins, poked, prodded, massaged, twisted and had TENS electrodes taped to me because of my shoulder and back. By the time I'd get home around 7:30-8:00 pm the last thing I wanted to do was sit for an hour reading prayers, doing japa and meditating.

So indeed it became burnout and a chore. It's made all the worse by my OCPD and GAD (for which I am on medication... I'm a mess :facepalm:) which "demand" that I pray and pay homage to the deities I mentioned above, as well as make time to play some guitar and get to the gym. Selfish, huh? :( However, there are the nights when I am fully fulfilled and peaceful after my ritual. Perhaps every night with the long version is too much. I've much desired to get up for Brahma Muhūrta to do my sadhana. However, not only will ringing bells (gotta have bells... "more cowbell!") go down like a led zeppelin (pun intended) in the house, I'd be later for work than I usually am.

Today is Ekadashi (which I know I should probably not fast for because I am just getting over a respiratory infection and have been run down mentally and physically); I am going to wakefully meditate on this and ask Lord Vishnu what He thinks. I'm sure He will guide me. ;)

Reading some of these have made me feel like I really need to pick up my sādhanā again. I always seem to stop doing it. :sad4:

I've gone weeks without even opening my shrine area (I have Japanese panels secluding it) to dust it. :facepalm:

Honestly, it depends on yourself, but my personal opinion for the average lay householder, then an hour's probably fine.

If you're getting sidetracked with thoughts then it's probably too long. ...

What do you think? :)

I'm getting sidetracked by worrying about it; not sidetracked while doing it. I cheat and use foam earplugs. :D

I'm thinking about breaking it up into chunks during the day... prayers during the day at various and multiple times. The short version in the evening: light, incense, some mantras to the deities (maybe their gayatris for wisdom, and one nama mantra to each), then some japa and meditation. Meditate on this I will. :yoda:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've gone weeks without even opening my shrine area (I have Japanese panels secluding it) to dust it. :facepalm:
As have I. :cover:

I'm getting sidetracked by worrying about it; not sidetracked while doing it. I cheat and use foam earplugs. :D
True -- but that is still a distraction in and of itself, is it not? :D So I suppose in that way it's worth changing.

I'm thinking about breaking it up into chunks during the day... prayers during the day at various and multiple times. The short version in the evening: light, incense, some mantras to the deities (maybe their gayatris for wisdom, and one nama mantra to each), then some japa and meditation. Meditate on this I will. :yoda:
That sounds good. My mentor told me that it's often easier to focus upon just one bodhisattva (as opposed to multiple). I have to say I did find this to be quite useful.

Otherwise, breaking it up sounds good. How are you going to make sure you keep up your sādhanās multiple times a day though, without forgetting?

Maya3

You are right. Sometimes I feel they are a "must". I've especially felt this way lately because I haven't been in control of my time. See, for well over a year I have been out 3-4 nights a week, lying on some chiropractor's or acupuncturist's or physical therapist's table, being stuck with pins, poked, prodded, massaged, twisted and had TENS electrodes taped to me because of my shoulder and back. By the time I'd get home around 7:30-8:00 pm the last thing I wanted to do was sit for an hour reading prayers, doing japa and meditating.

Starting an hour puja then would be impossible. I'm sure you'd be starving by then and have to think of dinner. Have time for your partner and watch TV for a bit.
We are not monks, we have lives and responsibilities and our Sadahna is for us not for God. It's for you to feel connected with God, but if its just a struggle then it's counterproductive in my opinion.

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds good. My mentor told me that it's often easier to focus upon just one bodhisattva (as opposed to multiple). I

This is true. I think the same applies to prayers to the Hindu deities. Is it not overdoing it to pray to each incarnation/form of Vishnu? I'm beginning to think yes. He is only One who took various forms for various reasons. I have murthis of Sri Narasimha, Sri Rama Parivar, Sri Krishna, Sri Vishnu with Adi Shesha in my shrine, but they are all still Vishnu. The murthis are reminders of His power.

The same for Divine Mother, Devi. I have murthis of Maa Durga, Maa Saraswati, Maa Kali, Maa Lakshmi, Tārā, but they are all forms of Divine Mother. The murthis are reminders of Her power. I have murthis of Medicine Buddha, Avalokiteshvara & Guan Yin, Shakyamuni, Manjushri. But they are all buddhas and bodhisattvas emanating from Adi-Buddha (Shuddasattva-ji and ratikala-ji could correct me). Do I need to pray/recite mantras to each one? I think not. They are all watching and protecting. A prayer to Narayana, a prayer to Devi (including Tara who is a form of Durga), a prayer to Ganesha, a prayer to Hanuman.

Otherwise, breaking it up sounds good. How are you going to make sure you keep up your sādhanās multiple times a day though, without forgetting?

Basically what I would do is take some quiet time, I can even hide at work, to recite some japa. Being non-initiated a mālā and 108 reps is not necessary, just recite the mantra as much as desired. I wear a Mahasudarshana locket yantra that I can meditate on. Moreover, almost all my actions are with thoughts of God:

"In this world all actions, unless they are done as an offering to God, become causes of bondage. Therefore, work for the sake of God without personal attachments." Bhagavad Gita 3.9

I think that's about as close to tantra as I get.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Starting an hour puja then would be impossible. I'm sure you'd be starving by then and have to think of dinner. Have time for your partner and watch TV for a bit.
We are not monks, we have lives and responsibilities and our Sadahna is for us not for God. It's for you to feel connected with God, but if its just a struggle then it's counterproductive in my opinion.

Maya

There you go! This is exactly what I wanted to confirm, and opinions I wanted. :)

Shuddhasattva

Actually I disagree.

Sadhana is not about blocking off some amount of your day.

It's about pledging the entire 24 hour cycle as the oblation of time. Else, no sadhana.

While specific time for practice is good, it is something that should consume you, as it's already that which lies between thoughts, feelings, and the procession of moments.

Sadhana is most powerful when every aspect of your life is ritualized, sacralized. Eating is a greater puja than praying before eating.

Evacuating one's bowels is a greater opportunity for sadhana than standing on one leg.

Brushing one's teeth is...etc.

It is the humdrum, the mundane, that is a greater danger to spiritual progress than the most vile evil, and so the mundane must be seen in a self-reflective light.

Maya3

Actually I disagree.

It's about pledging the entire 24 hour cycle as the oblation of time. Else, no sadhana.

While specific time for practice is good, it is something that should consume you, as it's already that which lies between thoughts, feelings, and the procession of moments.

Sadhana is most powerful when every aspect of your life is ritualized, sacralized. Eating is a greater puja than praying before eating.

Evacuating one's bowels is a greater opportunity for sadhana than standing on one leg.

It is the humdrum, the mundane, that is a greater danger to spiritual progress than the most vile evil, and so the mundane must be seen in a self-reflective light.

That is a good point. Especially when it comes to doing things for others.
It is very hard to keep this up though, but certainly good to try.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would just say to do what you feel capable of doing. Being an old man now (well, at least retired) I am able to do longer sadhanas, hatha yoga sessions. temple pujas, etc. But in the middle of grihastha life at age 35 or so it was much much less. The important thing, in my opinion, is to do something.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Actually I disagree.

So my mindfulness practice while mopping floors, etc, is sadhana?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems one can find one's guru(s) on the internet. ;)

Actually I disagree.

So this is tantra, or a subset of?

That is a good point. Especially when it comes to doing things for others.
It is very hard to keep this up though, but certainly good to try.

Maya

So I am on the right track in attempting to dedicate everything I do to God, as I quoted from B.G. earlier. My conundrum is ironic considering I am not one for ritual.

I would just say to do what you feel capable of doing. Being an old man now (well, at least retired) I am able to do longer sadhanas, hatha yoga sessions. temple pujas, etc. But in the middle of grihastha life at age 35 or so it was much much less. The important thing, in my opinion, is to do something.

Sure, rub it in about being retired. :D

So my mindfulness practice while mopping floors, etc, is sadhana?

Evidently. :)

Shuddhasattva

It seems one can find one's guru(s) on the internet. ;)

So this is tantra, or a subset of?

It's tantra in the sense that the word was used in the Vedic era (meaning practice, more or less), in addition to the more explicitly tantric era. Life is the great rite. Breathing. Blinking. The sensation of time elapsing like the dancing forms of divine times. All sensory input at all times are the colors of the wind blown by force of awareness into the central channel, rising through the lokas dissolving the less-conscious into the self-aware. These are the animal sacrifices, these are the oblations, these are the pujas.

All mental activity is equally self-sacrficing in the void altar called mind, spilling its essence onto the blade of non-reproduction, dharma brushing the tangles of karma and vasana from the head of time.

Last edited: