• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating body to medicine or such?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Any experiences or knowledge as to this, given that I am likely to be doing such in the future. No doubt this varies as to country and I live in the UK. Here it doesn't seem that straightforward - nearest facility being the main option (university or medical school), their current need for such bodies, and where they have certain rules as to acceptance (no diseased bodies :eek:) - so such cannot always be guaranteed after death.

Anyone doing similar or has had a relative do so?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I had a good friend who donated her body to science after she died. I kept thinking that if her girls knew what her body would probably go through, they probably wouldn't do it. Oh well.

I don't think it much matters what happens to our bodies after we die but still, I would prefer to be treated with some respect.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As far as I'm aware the UK has an opt out system for organ donation. Every adult is considered to have agreed unless they opt out. As far as medical science is concerned thing are not so cut and dried, the advice is to contact the nearest medical school and ask for advice

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I had a good friend who donated her body to science after she died. I kept thinking that if her girls knew what her body would probably go through, they probably wouldn't do it. Oh well.

I don't think it much matters what happens to our bodies after we die but still, I would prefer to be treated with some respect.
Fortunately it is up to the donor I think, so relatives don't have a say in this if the wishes of the donor are made clear. Doesn't bother me what they do with my body, as long as it is useful in some way. I have no belief in anything after death and I'm not likely to have much of a funeral service, so it is more about the best use made of it.
As far as I'm aware the UK has an opt out system for organ donation. Every adult is considered to have agreed unless they opt out. As far as medical science is concerned thing are not so cut and dried, the advice is to contact the nearest medical school and ask for advice
I've looked at the advice from the national system as to this and got the details from the local establishment so I'm just looking for any information before I contact them.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Fortunately it is up to the donor I think, so relatives don't have a say in this if the wishes of the donor are made clear. Doesn't bother me what they do with my body, as long as it is useful in some way. I have no belief in anything after death and I'm not likely to have much of a funeral service, so it is more about the best use made of it.

I've looked at the advice from the national system as to this and got the details from the local establishment so I'm just looking for any information before I contact them.
Oh well, this is in the US anyway. Not sure how laws differ from the US to the UK.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Any experiences or knowledge as to this, given that I am likely to be doing such in the future. No doubt this varies as to country and I live in the UK. Here it doesn't seem that straightforward - nearest facility being the main option (university or medical school), their current need for such bodies, and where they have certain rules as to acceptance (no diseased bodies :eek:) - so such cannot always be guaranteed after death.

Anyone doing similar or has had a relative do so?
I'm an organ donor, so that takes care of my carcass for now, but as I get older, my organs are less useful and will be rejected for implantation. I'll have to come up with a plan B and think about donating to science and medicine, like you. Anything what makes this body useful and doesn't bother my family with costs.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well...you know...since as a Christian I believe that the soul is not within the mortal body, I have decided to donate all of my organs, when I die.
Fortunately I have a perfectly functioning heart, so I am glad it will be used to try to save someone's life.