• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dogma

robtex

Veteran Member
I was inspired by the thought put forth by Rufus. He said roughly paraphrased that a law is something you can't change or alter but an idea is a point of reference to work with. I see the wisdom in that inasfar as religions that are flexible and idea based like hinduism, UU, and buddhism have much less conflict than the dogma based faiths that sprouted from judaism.

I like the idea presented in the movie by comedian george carlin in maketing of "buddy jesus". All jokes aside if you believe in god and worship him seems to make more sense to see him as a friend and alley instead of a watchful parental type.

I think the overlying notions of the movie presenting the bible that is an outline for a philosophy of life as opposed to a historical account of history makes for a more tolerant religion.

Putting the humor aside what I admire about K smith movies going back to even his oldy but goody "clerks" is there is always a deeper message buried under all the nonsense, one liners and endless profanity of inherient in all his movies.