• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dogma of YTH

ellenjanuary

dog•ma \ˈdȯg-mə, ˈdäg-\ noun
plural dogmas also dog•ma•ta \-mə-tə\
[Latin dogmat-, dogma, from Greek, from dokein to seem — more at decent]
(1638)
1 a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet
b : a code of such tenets 〈pedagogical dogma〉
c : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds
2 : a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church

Merriam-Webster, Inc: Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. 10th ed. Springfield, Mass., U.S.A. : Merriam-Webster, 1996, c1993

God is – something that occurs when one recieves Holy Spirit from the Source; i.e. The afflicted becomes, in essence, of god.

If one does not recieve Holy Spirit from the Source, the dogma of the YTH can be expressed in three easy steps:

Ask questions.

Accept no answers.

Even this.

This concludes your indoctrination into the dogma of the YTH. Congradulations. You are now a Minister of YTH.

For review: What is the first limit of god? The container. The mind of the prophet, the sacred text, the doctrine of the church; anything that defines – confines. The relationship between YTH and god is built around a simple ideal – the purpose of god is for the individual to find comfort in god – but in order for god to be comfortable – previous assumptions must be superceded. From the Almighty, god must be depreciated to the Infinitesimal; from the Creator of the Universe, to a security blanket of unconditional love.

But first we must address the concerns of those who feel that such a role diminishes god. What is it, to increase the glory of god? A bigger temple? A newer scripture? A larger congregation? Do offerings increase the glory of god? Alms? Charitable works? I mention these things for purposes of comparison. Think of all the gilded and glorious kingdoms of god; and then, think of yourself. Consider that brief moment of uncertainty in your otherwise perfect life. That one instant, when all you knew, was your self, and your world; and your world was not your friend. Most people operate from a far less fortunate perspective, but everybody has been there; when it's just you and me against the world, and you has left the building.

The house of god as god intended; was not meant to be free lunch and a sermon, was not meant to be a charatible self-fulfilling institution, was not meant to be morals and codes and dogma, was not meant to be entitlement for the select few, the house of god is how we are wired, to need each other above all else, and yet each other is the demon of our darkest fears.

That is what dogma truly defines. Not god, but the godly, at the expense of the godless. But I do not speak of morality. I did not live in the context of previous creation, I live in the dawn of the fourth age; where men continually push a technological envelope not only beyond the grasp, but the actual conception, of the mind behind the hand. An LHC capable of producing mini-singularities, a computer whose operating system is beyond the capabilities of a mind to create, a piece of plastic the size of a wallet with more command and control operations than any previous general enjoyed even through his support staff and the wealth of nations. We do not know who we are, we don't know what we are, and we don't know where we're going; all we know is that we are going there as fast as the market allows.

And the time of tribulation is at hand. Just as in every previous generation. Freedom, democracy, higher standards of living from lower standards of exertion, ease of access to information; these things are not new. Every generation has seen a degree of these advancements; that is why every generation derives a prodigal abundance of sinners from the same old tiny well of sainthood represented in scripture. In modern terms, peddling salvation amongst the sinners is a service with a perpetually expanding customer base. This is nothing new; not to our generations, not to the generations of Biblical prophets, who could clearly see that even under the shadow of Rome, new markets bloomed like mushrooms.

What is new, in this generation, is the knowledge that there will be no new markets. There is no promised land of milk and honey just over the horizion. There is no undiscovered continent of untapped resource, with a native population of savages in moral need of civilizing. It is no longer common knowledge that a foreigner to our land is also our cultural inferior. Today, we have the Chinese. Today, we have, "Islamic fundamental radicals;" and as an ironic paragon of the failure of old systems to meet new challenges, it is "religiously insensitive" to call them "Muslim terrorists."

How does that famous line go? I have looked into the face of the enemy, and it is I.

I do not work for profit because I would be earning someone's loss. This is not altruism; at the other extreme, it is not conspiracy theory. It is nothing greater, nothing less, than global awareness. There is no economic model on the planet that allows for profit and commercial expansion in a closed system. Period. And yet there is no model of any kind for a possible form of global society beyond free market capatalism... oh, wait. I misspoke. There is a model. Armageddon.

The natural resultant of the vector of morality emergent from the status quo: in the end, god gets to kill everybody. Problem /solved. Is that really to the glory of god, to rule for a thousand years over a vast potter's field?

Or is the Tribulation merely – letting go. Lettting outmoded methodoligies die their natural death. It is said that the road to the kingdom of heaven can only be accessed by entering through the narrowest door; and those that speak for scripture pass along the assumption that one must be "Christlike" to pass. But what doorway is far narrower than mere virtue? Seperation from god, exploited by agenda into the threat of eternal damnation in the New Testament? Picture this: a lonely Jew back on his way home to settlement, and the road is blocked by a thousand morally outraged Palestinians, each one carring an admonsiment from god; could that be the road to heaven? How about a pro-lifer under the divine compulsion to assist in a year's worth of D&Cs? How about a homophobe marching in a gay rights parade, following the fellows home, because god demands the service of their needs?

How long would the Righteous burn for god? If you know god, there is only one answer; but if you truly know god, there are at least seven billion questions.

I have two answers. The problem of the zero-sum game of global economics can be overcome by a massive push to the stars. But that too is a rather narrow door. How can we expect anyone to live in a tin can, virtually, forever? How can we overcome the significant technological and economic challenges? How can we build a world-wide initiave knowing that we are sending the pioneeers, mostly out there to die? I know how. By having no illusions, starting with myself; this question can easily be answered – if we must do it, we will – but not if the majority of the population would rather pray for a Revelation than sacrifice for a Redemption. So that is my sermon, to preach. If I ever again stumble over a profit, or into a "real life," what I shall do is build a website, the church of John Cantor will serve that aspect of god.

The truth as I know it, lies out there. The truth as it is, lies right here. In the heart. That what is for me a righteous act; it is not to be called Righteous. The questions of a lifetime, the nature of a mathematical mind, the nurture of a scientific education; all this and more has led me to an answer that is still very much a question.

As are all these words. Questions. Are the religious structures I seek to dissassemble actually comfortable to the subscribers of the doctrine? Am I just forming a different order of church, where the first order is chaos; where I am just setting myself up to be of a type? The "I know what is good for you, even if you do not" subset of missionary that doesn't even acknowledge the viability of a system of knowlwdge before systematically dismantling it? That is why I ask.

And the second answer I have is the question of the question. My "faith in space" comes from two gods; the god of common conception, and the god of mine. One point of divergence of these two gods that must be god, is that when god entered my conception: everything involving certainty; any kind of confidence in a Right act producing a Right result, went Right out the window. I'll tell you how I limit god: big. As in, BIG. Yet not Almighty, not Omnipotent, all natural and not far beyond the bounds of scientific speculation, while still be more than capable in being knowingly unknowable... perhaps it is a good time to mention it is entirely possible that what created this universe evolved from machine intelligence out of the last – over a trillion years, and only after evolving into... something unknowable.

That is what we most need from god. Unknowability. Consider the evolution of god through literature. Ancestor worship, animal spirits, nature gods; until it was found that the best form of god is singular; being not one who controls and animates, but one who creates what is controlled and animated. Even then, careful reading of scripture and tradition will reveal, the form most is not a Creator God but an Engineer God. The world was void, and without form... what is the Image of God but a blueprint? What is dust and spirit and rib, other than component? The god that is God, has lost that essential unknowability. Too much is supposedly known, about God.

ellenjanuary

That does not serve God, and that does not serve us. Have a moment to research the entirety of scripture? Tell me, is there any more – profound – presonal revelation into the nature of the Creator... that the eight page rant in the Book of Job where God personally bears witness to his own unknowability? The common Christian belief system centers around a Book of Prophecy – the Holy Bible – purported to be a consistant library of accurate and non-conflicting prophecy spanning three thousand years – and the common Christian does not even begin at the beginning. The Book of Job is that beginning. And just like any advanced technical manual, what is covered in the beginning – the basics – is what is to be referred to whenever a thing arises seemingly beyond the remit of later, more advanced, chapters.

The single moral lesson of Job – no man is Righteous before god. Well, duh; and yet shall I refer the curious to a quick internet search, to see how many "self-professed" holy men are filling the airways with just such a proclaimation? And the Index to the Compendium is depreciated to mere minor mortal moral tale. Read it if you don't believe me. For instance, where are we directed to find our answers to divine questions in the absense of God? Nature. The common Christian can be made the source of much sheep-shearing amusment if asked by a man of intelligence and compassion – why does the Bible condone slavery? And if you are not familaiar with this "thorny theological issue," I can direct you to hundreds of sites purporting thousands of pages written by men of faith and scholarship over hundreds of years... or I can just pull the knots out of that question – well, just like a prophet of god. God does not condone slavery; however, slavery is a natural state.

One sentence, from one Book, for one basic conditional; not because I am a "prophet of god" with the answers, but because I am "of god," with questions. Can god make straight that which man has made crooked? Not if it is the nature of man to be crooked. And in the Book of Job, what is presented as being human and seperate from all the animals is man's perpensity for wickedness. Am I being told, thus, that my neighbor "does not know what is best for himself, therefore I must intervene?"

Absolutely not. For I am but a man. If more than anything else, I have a propensity for wickedness; I shall learn from my nature. That any Answer of which I may be certain of in my righteousness, is certainly less righteous than the potential of the Questions my Answer seemingly addresses.

Ask questions.

Accept no Answers (beyond those which are useful for further questioning...)

Even this.

That I am as certain that man can be, that the Unwording – that the unburdening of god from doctrine, dogma, and being the deliverer of vengeance – shall "increase" the glory of unknowable god to where his house is in every human heart:

The purpose of god is for all individuals to find unity in god.

And yet, I am questioning.