• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog Kills

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this in the paper the other day, but I don't think any dogs were killed in this one, just abused.

More than 40 neglected dogs rescued in Iowa during Thursday’s blizzard.

We had this happen last year...

Final rescued North Iowa Samoyed finds a new home

I think a few did die in this one, along with a few cats.

I occasionally read in the newspaper people leave their dogs to die in extreme heat or cold. One woman recently left her dog in a bathroom without food and water, causing the poor creature to starve to death. Was very sad. :(

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
In the time I've been getting the newspaper(about 7 or 8 years), I haven't read of any dogs killing anyone. I have read of a few people being bitten by dogs that are mishandled. Not owners, though. Typically mail carriers or neighbors. If it happens once, the owner usually is responsible for the doctor bills of the person. If it gets out of hand, the dog is usually seized and euthanized. I've only read of this occurring once or twice, though.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have posted of incident......dog kills baby
this happens FAR too often

and typically....the owner was surprised
as the dog showed NO previous indication of such ability
or inclination to aggression

I have also posted of incident of the OWNER being killed
even though the owner raised the dog from early life to full adulthood

again....no warning
taken by surprise

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've been doing research on this topic

anyone else?
Not specifically dogs killing their owners, but fatal dog attacks in general are typically due to training, fear, self defense, or disease. Even with the so-called "aggressive" breeds, it's just not normal.
I am a firm believer of ban the deed [training dogs to be aggressive], not the breed. Even pitbulls are great family dogs when raised well, and there is no bigger baby than a properly brought up rottweiler (they especially have boundless patience with children and will fiercely defend them in a bad situation).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have heard of that happening on occasion. I have also, unfortunately, heard of human beings doing that, as well. Sometimes even the parents, even if they haven't shown an inclination towards doing so before.

It is always tragic when a child is hurt, but I can't place the blame on any one species.

Sadly, in the time I have received the newspaper(about 7 or 8 years), I have read several incidents in which a child is harmed...sometimes fatally. These incidents have always been from humans....

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I was referring to .....dogs that kill......owner
Some dogs tear the faces off of human children. This happened in my grandmother's town many years ago. The owners kept large aggressive dogs. One day they let those dogs out. The dogs tore off a child's face. The owners knew the dogs were vicious but were not punished.

A dog is a carnivore, so killing is a peaceful, joyful and social thing for them. I keep my dog fed, and I try to keep my dog away from strangers and especially strange children. My dog is small however and is a lab, one of the less aggressive breeds.

I would not tolerate a large aggressive dog, because I don't want to spend time training it. A dog is a big responsibility. A large dog is a killing machine, so its a duty.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
it's not what you think

there's a relationship we take for granted

"my dog wouldn't hurt anyone.....I raised it from a puppy"

I'm not denying this doesn't happen from time to time. But again, this can happen between fellow humans, as well. Close relationships come into play there, too.

All we can really say its a tragedy.

In my opinion, a responsible parent doesn't leave their child unattended with a pet. Even if the pet is well meaning, accidents happen.

On a personal tally, I had my tail saved by a dog, and one that didn't even belong to me. A man came in the house with the intent to sexually assault me. My roommate's cocker spaniel came to my rescue.

The worst a dog has done to me has been to poop all over my pillow(a roommate's dog). But my dad was attacked by a dog as a child. He wasn't seriously injured, but he's never liked them after. Even so, he can can acknowledge most dogs(as most humans) do not pose a serious threat in most situations. He's more likely to caution you on taking one in, because dog food and vet bills are expensive.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am all for people being required to take a course on how to properly care for and raise a dog (or any animal) before being allowed to have one. This isn't just for the animal's wellbeing, it's also a safety thing.
And, as Siegfried and Roy found out, that is the relationship that can't be taken for granted.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A large dog is a killing machine, so its a duty.
None of my large dogs have been "killing machines," thank you very much.
No dog is. They are animals who have been very domesticated.
But, as we know, with poor conditions even humans become primed for violence and acting out. Dogs are no different. Except they are not nearly as violent as humans.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have heard of that happening on occasion. I have also, unfortunately, heard of human beings doing that, as well. Sometimes even the parents, even if they haven't shown an inclination towards doing so before.

It is always tragic when a child is hurt, but I can't place the blame on any one species.

Sadly, in the time I have received the newspaper(about 7 or 8 years), I have read several incidents in which a child is harmed...sometimes fatally. These incidents have always been from humans....
Humans are terrible.
A Labrador dog will love you and be a friend to the world until their last breath.
Humans sometimes abandon their children.
Rottweilers will die defending human children they view as family.
Humans tend to not care about it when others are stressed.
A dog will always be there for you through all your hardest times.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not specifically dogs killing their owners, but fatal dog attacks in general are typically due to training, fear, self defense, or disease. Even with the so-called "aggressive" breeds, it's just not normal.
I am a firm believer of ban the deed [training dogs to be aggressive], not the breed. Even pitbulls are great family dogs when raised well, and there is no bigger baby than a properly brought up rottweiler (they especially have boundless patience with children and will fiercely defend them in a bad situation).

I had a neighbor that owned a Rottweiler. The biggest threat from the beast that it would love you to death. One of the most affectionate dogs that I have ever seen.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I had a neighbor that owned a Rottweiler. The biggest threat from the beast that it would love you to death. One of the most affectionate dogs that I have ever seen.
They are. Friendly, affectionate, they may not always be aware they are big dogs, but they are such wonderful and amazing dogs it's a tragedy they suffer a reputation built on slander and ignorance.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have posted of incident......dog kills baby
this happens FAR too often

and typically....the owner was surprised
as the dog showed NO previous indication of such ability
or inclination to aggression

I have also posted of incident of the OWNER being killed
even though the owner raised the dog from early life to full adulthood

again....no warning
taken by surprise
Nasty surprise. We might reasonably expect instances by humans, but dogs ...?