• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your God Interact with the Natural World?

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
When trying to understand if prayer has ever been shown to actually work, I recall a friend who gave me a "my mother had cancer, then it went away" story about why he knows prayer works. No mention of the oncologist that treated her, btw. I'm sure we have all heard something similar.

At this point, I think everyone knows that diseases like cancer affect all humans, regardless of which god you pray to. Same is true with automobile accidents, destructive weather, snake bites, etc.

The question is and always has been, if you believe your god interacts with the natural, physical world, and will adjust events in your life to help you, why is it that your god doesn't seem to protect his followers from harm any more than those who do not worship him?

I'm convinced that if there is some sort of supernatural entity out there, it's not interacting with the natural world in any way. Otherwise we would be able to prove it via the standard steps of the scientific method.

Do you think your god interacts with the natural world? In what way?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
When trying to understand if prayer has ever been shown to actually work, I recall a friend who gave me a "my mother had cancer, then it went away" story about why he knows prayer works. No mention of the oncologist that treater her, btw. I'm sure we have all heard something similar.

At this point, I think everyone knows that diseases like cancer affect all humans, regardless of which god you pray to. Same is true with automobile accidents, destructive weather, snake bites, etc.

The question is and always has been, if you believe your god interacts with the natural, physical world, and will adjust events in your life to help you, why is it that your god doesn't seem to protect his followers from harm any more than those who do not worship him?

I'm convinced that if there is some sort of supernatural entity out there, it's not interacting with the natural world in any way. Otherwise we would be able to prove it via the standard steps of the scientific method.

as a monist, yes i do believe that the divine interacts naturally with the universe. it's the dualist who prays to otherness and never the two shall meet because the dualist has divided their self from the divine

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I believe the Divine is both transcendent and imminent (in the world).

You are asking a deep question that to me can be framed as "why didn't Divinity create everything differently, show favoritism to some people and remove the structure of duality, specifically pain and pleasure and with only positive karma or at least actively superseding karmic balance.

Another way of asking that is "what is the meaning and purpose of creation and why is it structured the way it is"? One way of starting to approach an answer to that question is Meher Baba's statement:

The sojourn of the soul is a thrilling divine romance in which the lover, who in the beginning is conscious of nothing but emptiness, frustration, superficiality and the gnawing chains of bondage, gradually attains an increasingly fuller and freer expression of love, and ultimately disappears and merges in the divine Beloved to realise the unity of the Lover and the Beloved in the supreme and eternal fact of God as Infinite Love.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't the divine interacting with the natural world needs involve alteration of the natural laws and constants of physics? Can physics, chemistry, &c be switched on and off? Has anyone ever seen evidence of this?

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
I believe the Divine is both transcendent and imminent (in the world).

You are asking a deep question that to me can be framed as "why didn't Divinity create everything differently, show favoritism to some people and remove the structure of duality, specifically pain and pleasure and with only positive karma or at least actively superseding karmic balance.

Another way of asking that is "what is the meaning and purpose of creation and why is it structured the way it is"? One way of starting to approach an answer to that question is Meher Baba's statement:

The sojourn of the soul is a thrilling divine romance in which the lover, who in the beginning is conscious of nothing but emptiness, frustration, superficiality and the gnawing chains of bondage, gradually attains an increasingly fuller and freer expression of love, and ultimately disappears and merges in the divine Beloved to realise the unity of the Lover and the Beloved in the supreme and eternal fact of God as Infinite Love.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
When trying to understand if prayer has ever been shown to actually work, I recall a friend who gave me a "my mother had cancer, then it went away" story about why he knows prayer works. No mention of the oncologist that treater her, btw. I'm sure we have all heard something similar.

Probably because there are many factors that we don't consider. It isn't like God is a slot machine...

If Jesus was real and his history correct, even he mentioned factors that don't help one while he does help another.

Reactions: DNB

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I never believed that it worked like that and such things are not part of traditional Christian understanding. In fact, that's more of a Pagan view of deities - give offerings and they'll materially bless you as part of a contractual relationship. God never said we wouldn't suffer and get sick in life. We're all going to die and stand before Him. God will remove all disease, infirmity and even death itself but that won't be until the conclusion of all things, which will happen on God's time. Christ Himself suffered and was literally tortured to death, so why think our lives should be any easier? What matters the most is the salvation of our souls. We are to be spiritual athletes, as St. Paul taught, and bear all suffering with grace.

So, no - I don't think God goes around curing certain people of cancer while others die.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Yes, as Avatar, the descent of the Divine into human form, he cleanses the world of the accumulated drek since his last advent and creates a pattern for spiritual progress for the next period. Perhaps I could say he's an architect and janitor in one.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

The Natural World, all that is in it, every atom and force and anything else, is a part of my God. But the whole Deity does not interact with this world any more than you interact with an atom in your right kidney.

So....no interaction, I'm afraid. But that doesn't mean that I don't believe in healers, cos some are genuine.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When trying to understand if prayer has ever been shown to actually work, I recall a friend who gave me a "my mother had cancer, then it went away" story about why he knows prayer works. No mention of the oncologist that treated her, btw. I'm sure we have all heard something similar.

To gain Gods help, those who believe in God must do as they are asked, both in speech, action and thoughts. If a person does not strive to become the best spiritual person they can be, according to the God they believe in and follow, how can they expect Gods help?

God has already given human the different scripture or recepie to success but maybe people do not always do as asked of?
First all ego must be reduced as much as possible before one can find God and gain the needed guidance. But God does not heal you

DNB

Christian

Yes, He does, but His main concern are humans. So, that any intervention that takes place, outside of the superintendence of the universe and providence of all created things, His immanency occurs both, to exact immediate justice and wrath upon the disobedient, or to endure patience and mercy towards the faithful and sincere. Therefore, His interaction is precipitated by the actions of men, and therefore, as others have stated, their is invariably a strong element of faith required to achieve success in prayers.

And, as you said, we don't accept every testimony that claims that any favourable circumstance that has occurred in one's life, was allegedly due either to God's answer to their prayers, or their 'blessed' status with God. For, more often than not, such power or healings are too ambiguous to affirm the source of the good fortune. If it is from God, it better be beyond wise or incontrovertibly miraculous.
But, God does answer prayers, but it requires a great deal of humility and faith to have one's supplications accepted. For, even a parent would find it either difficult, or even detrimental, to comply with their child's request if it were done with either excessive boldness, entitlement or doubt.