• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does wrong-doing figure into your election choice?

libre

Skylark
What do you mean? Bar low in UK or US?
I am appalled that what is currently happening in the United States would be interpreted as holding powerful people account by British people.
Is it really that bad over there?
What would happen in your country if someone like Trump was on the stage?

Pogo

I am appalled that what is currently happening in the United States would be interpreted as holding powerful people account by British people.
Maybe another lettuce lady?

Altfish

Veteran Member
If leaders are corrupt or appear to be corrupt they must be held to account. The US is holding Trump to account, he is not yet guilty but the evidence and jury will decide.
In the UK we had very dodgy politicians in the last 5 years or so, giving contracts to their mates, feathering their own nest, no cases have gone to court.
If Trump was in the UK - I don't believe the UK would have elected him, however we did manage to elect Johnson. Johnson is not as bad as Trump but is all about 'him' and his benefit, rather than the country.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Elected but is the process secret, fair and with open access to challengers. Dictators these days tend to hold "elections" which are not secret, fair and open.
Do you have any evidence that the process hasn't been secret, fair and with open access to challengers? Do you have any evidence of dictatorship tendencies in Biden?

If not, why bring it up?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Former President Obama and then VP Biden spied on candidate Trump in 2016.
False. The FBI was watching Russian nationals given they were aware that Russia was trying to influence the election using social media. It just happened that Trump and other campaign officials met with Russians 112 times during the campaign. It was the Trump campaign who put themselves in situations where the Russians being watched. It was suspicious activity that a candidate for president was meeting with a nation that was also interfering with the election for his benefit.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Good policy does not circumvent due process and a fair trial.
I feel like you aren't understanding my point.

Imagine that Trump had no criminal proceedings against him at all and his track record as president and his current platform should be enough to make sure he never gets near elected office ever again.

... but for a chunk of the American electorate, Trump's cruelty and incompetence are features, not bugs, so he's the Republican candidate again.

Clizby Wampuscat

One can't help but notice something a bit odd:
  1. Joe Biden has been in politics for 54 years now.
  2. Donald Trump has been in politics for 8 years.
  3. The House has been trying to dig up evidence of wrong-doing by Biden for fully 15 months, without being hampered by the strict rules in the judicial system -- and has found, quite literally, nothing to pin on him.
  4. Donald Trump, originally indicted on 91 separate counts, is still facing trial on 88 of them. In addition he has been found guilty (in civil court) of fraud, and ordered to pay a fine of $454 million. And prior to that, he was found liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E. Jean Carroll.
Where do you stand on moral culpability of those you would elect to high public office? Do you care?
There are bigger issues here. One Ronald Reagan quote comes to mind:

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

After the 2016 election, instead of the left having some introspection or thought on why people voted for Trump they went to full meltdown mode and called Trump voters racists, hateful, it was a whitelash etc.

The media nor democrats made any attempt to find out why people voted for Trump and now 8 years later they still have not tried to figure out why people voted for Trump. There is a clue in that every time a new indictment was brought against him his popularity went up.

Pogo

There are bigger issues here. One Ronald Reagan quote comes to mind:

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

After the 2016 election, instead of the left having some introspection or thought on why people voted for Trump they went to full meltdown mode and called Trump voters racists, hateful, it was a whitelash etc.

The media nor democrats made any attempt to find out why people voted for Trump and now 8 years later they still have not tried to figure out why people voted for Trump. There is a clue in that every time a new indictment was brought against him his popularity went up.
we know perfectly well, Hillary ****** of the deplorables and they actually got off the couch.
Our bad and Ronnie Rayguns didn't even mangle the quote very well.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Oh, please. Do you know how low his ratings among Republicans was during 2015 and 2016? In the toilet. I can still remember the news, after his remarks about grabbing women by their privates, of the huge number of calls for him to get out of the race -- Republicans calling for their own nominee to get out! But of course, he claimed that "every woman lied" about him. All of them! Imagine that.

No, the principle reason Trump was voted in is because Republicans have been trying to frighten their base into believing their very existence is in danger, and they were looking for a non-establishment anti-hero -- a kind of Robin Hood or Che Guevarra or William Tell and so many others -- to ride in on a white horse and save them. Trump was willing to say things his supporters believed, but other politicians eschewed. By willingly suffering the “establishment’s” opprobrium, as well as its investigations and indictments, Trump came to be seen as the authentic champion of those who felt unrepresented.

Of course, he didn't save them, and he was dumped in 2020, but it is a important feature of human nature that, but then we come to a second important part of human nature: the persistence of preexisting beliefs. People don’t change their minds easily, especially about matters wrapped up with their identities. As cognitive scientist Hugo Mercier concluded upon reviewing a wide range of evidence, “Any message that clashes with our prior beliefs…is overwhelmingly likely to fall on deaf ears.”

In the psycho-logic of his supporters, his indictments and the other attacks on him were a badge of courage, a sign of his willingness to sacrifice for their shared values.

Now Donald Trump is the Republican Party. And he will, if he gets the power, do what he does, and tear the Constitution itself up. And I'll bet even then you won't think ill of him. The cognitive dissonance is simply too deeply ingrained.

RestlessSoul

Well no one in Boris Johnson’s government has yet been held to account for, sometimes quite literally, pissing all over the law.

US citizens may not feel they have much to be proud of right now; but your legal system has a fair record of holding the rich and powerful to account. You can be rightfully proud of that.

Clizby Wampuscat

Oh, please. Do you know how low his ratings among Republicans was during 2015 and 2016? In the toilet. I can still remember the news, after his remarks about grabbing women by their privates, of the huge number of calls for him to get out of the race -- Republicans calling for their own nominee to get out! But of course, he claimed that "every woman lied" about him. All of them! Imagine that.

No, the principle reason Trump was voted in is because Republicans have been trying to frighten their base into believing their very existence is in danger, and they were looking for a non-establishment anti-hero -- a kind of Robin Hood or Che Guevarra or William Tell and so many others -- to ride in on a white horse and save them. Trump was willing to say things his supporters believed, but other politicians eschewed. By willingly suffering the “establishment’s” opprobrium, as well as its investigations and indictments, Trump came to be seen as the authentic champion of those who felt unrepresented.

Of course, he didn't save them, and he was dumped in 2020, but it is a important feature of human nature that, but then we come to a second important part of human nature: the persistence of preexisting beliefs. People don’t change their minds easily, especially about matters wrapped up with their identities. As cognitive scientist Hugo Mercier concluded upon reviewing a wide range of evidence, “Any message that clashes with our prior beliefs…is overwhelmingly likely to fall on deaf ears.”

In the psycho-logic of his supporters, his indictments and the other attacks on him were a badge of courage, a sign of his willingness to sacrifice for their shared values.

Now Donald Trump is the Republican Party. And he will, if he gets the power, do what he does, and tear the Constitution itself up. And I'll bet even then you won't think ill of him. The cognitive dissonance is simply too deeply ingrained.
This is what I am talking about.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Typical response, example of what I am talking about.
Why should anyone care? They didn't even win the popular vote. Just random middle/lower class whites who are easily manipulated.
There's nothing to learn except how easily it is to exploit them. Dems have more integrity than Republicans.

I'll play along. Give me a reason that isn't already known?

Last edited: