• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the non-existence of free will change your beliefs?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Hey guys,
This time I want to discuss / debate how the lack of any free will may change your beliefs. I mean a reality that is absolutely deterministic (with the exception of God if that is what you happen to believe in, as to many God is outside the laws of reality). Assume that free will does not exist (and realize this is likely true). How does this change your beliefs on, well everything. For example, if you are a person who believes we must accept God, the lack of free will means that rejecting God is not our choice, and how could we be punished for not believing in God when God programmed us not to believe.

Discuss.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Well, my beliefs are atheistic, but I believe that free-will does exist. Without free-will, I see things as rather bleak and pointless. I don't really see it as a healthy mindset for myself.

Premium Member
Well, my beliefs are atheistic, but I believe that free-will does exist. Without free-will, I see things as rather bleak and pointless. I don't really see it as a healthy mindset for myself.

Doesn't that just depend on your perspective? I do not believe in free will nor that things have any sort of point, and I, personally, have found more beauty in that than any other thing has provided for me.

Awoon

Free Will...the abilty to choose what influences you the most.

Free Will...the ability to choose without any influence.

Premium Member
Free Will...the abilty to choose what influences you the most.

Free Will...the ability to choose without any influence.

Both are non-existent, at least for this thread.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't believe in "free" will, but that doesn't mean my choices aren't mine.

God is as responsible for my choices as me. :p

Premium Member
Well to me the title of the thread doesnt make sense.

Lets discuss Free Will that doesnt exist?

Should we be incapable of discussing concepts that do not exist? Besides, if you read the OP this discussion is not about free will, it is about each members beliefs and how they would be different if no free will existed.

Awoon

Should we be incapable of discussing concepts that do not exist? Besides, if you read the OP this discussion is not about free will, it is about each members beliefs and how they would be different if no free will existed.

Well I dont think we have a free will. Maybe a free soul, cause I wouldnt do a lot of stuff nor cant awake as I experience doing in my dreams sleeping.

Premium Member
Well I dont think we have a free will. Maybe a free soul, cause I wouldnt do a lot of stuff nor cant awake as I experience doing in my dreams sleeping.

Wouldn't do a lot of stuff? Can you elaborate on what you mean / how that implies a free soul or any freedom of your consciousness at all?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Free will is a poorly formulated concept that seems to lack any empirical evidence in favor of it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Although I don't believe in free will, it doesn't stop me from approaching life as an adventure, principly because I don't know what's around the next corner. Moreover, I'm quite content with this outlook. :D In fact, I happen to live my life as if free will was true. Why? Because I can do no differently. ;)

Awoon

Wouldn't do a lot of stuff? Can you elaborate on what you mean / how that implies a free soul or any freedom of your consciousness at all?

I've flown like superman without airplane, been shot, shot others, but I never remember people or me crying in any dream. But I have felt sorrow while dreaming.

Premium Member
I've flown like superman without airplane, been shot, shot others, but I never remember people or me crying in any dream. But I have felt sorrow while dreaming.

What's this have to do with free will though? Apologies, I'm just not following.