• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the body and the spirit fall asleep at the same time?Need jws answers.

Frank Goad

I say this because right here: Matthew 27:52 and Luke 8:52-56.In Matthew 27:52 it says the bodies slept.But in Luke 8:52-56.Jesus says the girl was sleeping.Not her body.See why this is confusing?:confused:I got all of my bible passages from the king james version of the bible.Also if you click on the bible verses enough times.It takes you to a page that translates them.:) I am debating if her spirit went any were.When she fell asleep.I thnk it did like in Ecclesiastes 12:7.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I say this because right here: Matthew 27:52 and Luke 8:52-56.In Matthew 27:52 it says the bodies slept.But in Luke 8:52-56.Jesus says the girl was sleeping.Not her body.See why this is confusing?:confused:I got all of my bible passages from the king james version of the bible.Also if you click on the bible verses enough times.It takes you to a page that translates them.:) I am debating if her spirit went any were.When she fell asleep.I thnk it did like in Ecclesiastes 12:7.
Does the body and the spirit fall asleep at the same time?

How I read this is "the girl was dead (as in body), but the girl was sleeping (as in spirit)". Spirit can not die.

Body falls asleep, spirit does not need sleep. Above quote of Jesus I do not take literally, but figuratively.

Jesus said "the girl is asleep", making clear that "I am not the body, but I am spirit, hence I can't die"

Hence the symbolism "girl, as in spirit, is asleep, meaning 'not dead', just to make this point clear"

Frank Goad

Why no Jehovah's Witness replies?:(

Bree

I say this because right here: Matthew 27:52 and Luke 8:52-56.In Matthew 27:52 it says the bodies slept.But in Luke 8:52-56.Jesus says the girl was sleeping.Not her body.See why this is confusing?:confused:I got all of my bible passages from the king james version of the bible. Also if you click on the bible verses enough times.It takes you to a page that translates them.:) I am debating if her spirit went any were.When she fell asleep.I thnk it did like in Ecclesiastes 12:7.

the spirit is not something separate to the body. its the lifeforce. If the lifeforce goes out you are dead. End of life.

Spirit in this context is simply lifeforce.

If you are alive you have spirit (rauch) breath.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
In my opinion the girl was in a coma. She appeared to be dead and the people of that time took her to be dead.

It wasn’t uncommon for people to be buried (or at least placed in a coffin) and then came back to life (as in, came out of the coma) and caused Consternation to onlookers because of it.

In the scenario with the girl, it seemed that Jesus was emphatic that this ‘dead’ girl was in a situation different from other ‘Dead’ person before.

Remember that Lazarus was truly dead. Jesus was ‘happy’ that he was not there to stop Lazarus dying because RAISING LAZARUS UP by the power of GOD (not Jesus’ own power… he told the people that it was God that did the work by praying out loud for the holy spiritual of God!) would be a precursor to the time when he would be resurrected - and - to the end times when he would raise up the dead in preparation for the judgement.

Note that no raising up of the dead other than Jesus’ own resurrection, was permanent. All others died at some point later in their life. Hence, Jesus is said to be the first fruit of those raised from the dead:
  • “But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.” (1 Cor 15:20)
When the scriptures uses the word, ‘Asleep’ here, it means ‘Dead out of the world, no longer active in the physical world by body but spirit resting with God.’

There is a post dealing with ‘Death’ and the body and spirit somewhere else but essentially the body is just a vehicle, a device, a ‘robot’ which requires a controlling intelligence - the Spirit.
When we die, the controlling intelligence is removed from the ‘body’ and the ‘body’ is no longer functional… it has no controlling intelligence … so as it cannot sustain itself it talks back into the ‘dust’ from which it was made from. But the controlling intelligence now has no ‘body’ to act on so it becomes inert, which is to say, it goes back to its creator - the source of the intelligence.

Now, because we who are living cannot communicate with the disembodied intelligence (the Spirit) we use the term, ‘Dead’. But Christians as we are, also know that the spirit is not ‘destroyed’, but yet we still say, ‘dead’. The scriptures more correctly uses the term, ‘Asleep [in the bosom of the Father]’… different from the ‘asleep [resting with intelligence controller in the the body].