• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Taoism teach free will?

DanielR

Hey all,

I've read different things on that subject, some say free will doesn't exist, everything is based on fate, others say it does exist?

What does ph. Taoism teach about it? I hope some of you can help me with that?

Thanks and regards

Alceste

Vagabond
Free will is not a concept that is relevant in any eastern religion or philosophy, as far as I'm aware. It's a Christian thing, I think. You only need "free will" if you are trying to believe in an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent being in a world where little kids die of cancer.

DanielR

Thanks to both of you :)

Free will is not a concept that is relevant in any eastern religion or philosophy, as far as I'm aware. It's a Christian thing, I think. You only need "free will" if you are trying to believe in an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent being in a world where little kids die of cancer.

I just wanted to know if I'm free to decide, or is everything based on Fate, if everything is already predetermined, or is it maybe both :D ?

Alceste

Vagabond
Thanks to both of you :)

I just wanted to know if I'm free to decide, or is everything based on Fate, if everything is already predetermined, or is it maybe both :D ?

Taoism is neither fatalistic nor predicated on free will. That is not a dichotomy that is relevant to a taoist point of view.

Your nature is what it is, and cannot be changed, like the nature of all living things and the universe itself.

Taoists cultivate the ability to live in harmony with their own nature through various practices like tai chi and meditation. The concept of wu-wei - "not doing" - refers to a sense of effortless, spontaneous action. Kind of like Yoda telling Luke "there is no try. Do or do not." we cultivate that state of being.

The idea is that when you are in harmony with your own nature, you are in harmony with the universe itself and everything in it. You can choose to behave otherwise, but the consequences are usually undesirable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Choices follow a linear path. Usually a or b. Free will tends to traverse c. .. or 11. 22...k........ or just runs away screaming.

Alceste is correct by which there is no basis to go on in making such a reference to free will associated with choices. Or fate for that matter. No such linearaty, thus irrelevant.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Your nature is what it is, and cannot be changed,
You do know that this is highly debated by some within Taoism? (The Taoist alchemists and their search to transform themselves into immortals?)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Well since my name was brought into this

T The concept of wu-wei - "not doing"
:D

You do know that this is highly debated by some within Taoism? (The Taoist alchemists and their search to transform themselves into immortals?)

Actually the search for immortality amongst taoists has changes much over the years and it is not an internal search that is based on understanding and taking care of the body you are in as well as following ones true nature.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
As to free will, if you mean the ability to make choices then yes there is free will in taoism.... however I seriously doubt that a taoist in Baiyun Guan whould refer to it as such. As previously mentioned "free will" is more of a western thing