• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does religion dictate you

Francine

Does religion dictate your choices? How much does it dictate your everyday life?

"Tao is a principle. Creation, on the other hand, is a process.
That is all there is: principle and process, how and what.
All creation unfolds according to Tao. There is no other way."

Translated by John Heider

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
My beliefs allow me to understand that in enacting life, in all its splendorous choices and outcomes, I am in adherence with my beliefs.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Does religion dictate your choices?
Frankly, I am not sure that it does; I am fortunate enough to want to try to be what I believe God expects of me -although, alas, I fall very short of the target.............
be How much does it dictate your everyday life?
It only does in that I feel the need to pray often enough; but that is my choice; as far as my behaviour and habits go, I try to be what I think is expected of me - not so much to "please" God (although that is a bonus, but equally because that is my personal goal.

Popeyesays

Let's see . . . . I do not drink alcohol because I am a Baha`i. I certainly did before that. I piddled around in drugs but stopped when I became Baha`i. I have been absolutely monogamous since I became Baha`i. That issue broke up my first marriage.

So my day to day life has changed. It took me a couple years to manage to drink my last beer. Monogamy came easier.

Regards,
Scott

GayAtheist

Religion doesn't dictate me in the slightest. I live myself as I see fit. I treat people as I wish. I am not frightened by eternal damnation or hell.

.lava

Veteran Member
Does religion dictate your choices? How much does it dictate your everyday life?

no, it can't. it is naturally work of heart. noone could be dictated to love. it gives advice and if you do, you follow as a volunteer.

Some religions are not strict in the sense of dictating every action of the person, they are more like moral guidelines, whereas some tend to be stricter, therefore percieved as dictatorial.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well... I don't think you can call my beliefs a religion... but I kind of just do what I want... But I suppose I might do this because I have no religion to keep me from doing so... So perhaps my lack of religion allows me to do whatever I want, but I don't think I'd really say it dictates what I can and cannot do...

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I wouldn't even say that I have a religion. I do have a church -- but my church isn't my religion, it's my community of fellow believers. Instead of a religion, what I have is a personal relationship with God the Father, the Logos or Word (who was Jesus Christ during His human incarnation), and with the Holy Spirit.

Does that relationship dictate my choices? As someone said, direct is a much better word. I don't follow any religious Law, but I am spiritually reborn as a new person with desires that are more in tune with what God wants me to become, and the more I become that new person, the more my desires are in tune with God's will for me. Often I fall short, but I don't feel guilty about it, I just pick myself up and try again with God's help.