• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does religion cause problems or supress it to the world?

Sonofason

Yes you do as you made the claim that Moses did it for health reasons and had knowledge of these reasons.

Speculation of a fictional person having medical knowledge not communicated in a text supposedly written by him. You are right it doesn't take a genius to make stuff up as children do it all the time.

Irrelevant as this does not establish the claim you made regarding medical practices. All you have done is support speculation with more speculation.

Actually it does matter as this undermines your claim as being original while also establishing the practice existed in the same region. A practice which existed in other cultures long before Moses. More so this establishes that non-prophets can figure out benefits for the practice while Moses apparently is so dumb he needs God to tell him about a practice found in the environment he was raised in, ie Egypt.
Like I said, "I don't need evidence that Moses thought the purpose was to eliminate scum from developing under his foreskin. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out."
I can make claims, and I can believe the claims I make. And I don't need any evidence whatsoever to believe what I believe. I can have faith. And people like you can't do anything about it.

I have no problem that you live in a fantasy world. But I don't.

Nothing I say is irrelevant. And I can support my speculations with any speculation I see fit to support them with.

Shad

Veteran Member
Like I said, "I don't need evidence that Moses thought the purpose was to eliminate scum from developing under his foreskin. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out."

You need evidence if you are going to convince someone that does not hold your set of axioms regarding the purpose of this practice. You have done nothing of the sort. You merely repeat your axiom as if I have to accept it without question. Try again son.

I can make claims, and I can believe the claims I make. And I don't need any evidence whatsoever to believe what I believe. I can have faith. And people like you can't do anything about it.

You are stating a claim to other people on a forum. This is a position of faith, nothing more.

Yet here you are ignoring the burden of proof, ignoring that you have made claims, ignoring the lack of evidence for you claim. I am not the one living in a fantasy. Try again son.

Nothing I say is irrelevant.

When you have no evidence it is irrelevant as a claim

And I can support my speculations with any speculation I see fit to support them with.

Yet you have not supported your speculation at all. You make claims without support, nothing more. Try again son

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Nothing I say is irrelevant. And I can support my speculations with any speculation I see fit to support them with.

Makes claims saying that you don't need come up with any evidence, only faith is required.
Then goes ahead saying others live in a fantasy world, but that you don't.

Oh, the irony...

Sonofason

You need evidence if you are going to convince someone that does not hold your set of axioms regarding the purpose of this practice. You have done nothing of the sort. You merely repeat your axiom as if I have to accept it without question. Try again son.
Consider for a moment that Moses actually existed..I know that is hard for you to do...but if he did exist, why do you suppose he cut off his foreskin and had others in his tribe do the same?

You are stating a claim to other people on a forum. This is a position of faith, nothing more.
Everything you believe you believe by faith. It requires faith to believe everything that we believe is true.

Yet here you are ignoring the burden of proof, ignoring that you have made claims, ignoring the lack of evidence for you claim. I am not the one living in a fantasy. Try again son.
I don't have a burden of proof. That is your claim.

When you have no evidence it is irrelevant as a claim
You can consider my claims irrelevant, but I don't. That is simply your subjective opinion.

Yet you have not supported your speculation at all. You make claims without support, nothing more. Try again son
Surely I did support my speculation. It's common sense. When you persistently get infections under your foreskin, it makes perfect sense to remove it. What brand of soap do you think Moses used in those days?

Sonofason

Makes claims saying that you don't need come up with any evidence, only faith is required.
Then goes ahead saying others live in a fantasy world, but that you don't.

Oh, the irony...
Everything I have suggested is quite reasonable. When you have superior reasoning capabilities, you don't always need evidence to support every claim. Reasonable speculations can be evidence for a claim.

Shad

Veteran Member
Consider for a moment that Moses actually existed..I know that is hard for you to do...but if he did exist, why do you suppose he cut off his foreskin and had others in his tribe do the same?

Read your Bible. God told him to and obedience to God trumps everything even morality.

Everything you believe you believe by faith.

No I use evidence and a pragmatic approach while you take a holy book on faith

It requires faith to believe everything that we believe is true.

No it does. It just requires justification and reason

I don't have a burden of proof.

You made claims thus you do have the burden of proof. You would know if you actually had a higher education in logic and philosophy. Even the court systems have a burden of proof.

That is your claim.

No it is a principle of logic. Hence why I can easily dismiss your view points as you never meet your burden of proof.

You can consider my claims irrelevant, but I don't.

You do more. You wish to communicate your views publicly which goes beyond mere opinion

That is simply your subjective opinion.

No it is pretty standard for those that are not gullible nor take claims at face value.

Surely I did support my speculation.

No you didn't you just repeated your claims in another way.

It's common sense.

Assertion. Besides common sense is one of the worst ways to identify truth. Remember when I mentioned your lack of education? The idea that common sense is useful is due to your lack of education

When you persistently get infections under your foreskin, it makes perfect sense to remove it.

You still have no provided evidence this is the case. You are reading modern knowledge back into the Bible as if it was there, it isn't. IE you are making stuff up.

What brand of soap do you think Moses used in those days?

Pixie soap

Sonofason

Read your Bible. God told him to and obedience to God trumps everything even morality.

No I use evidence and a pragmatic approach while you take a holy book on faith

No it does. It just requires justification and reason

You made claims thus you do have the burden of proof. You would know if you actually had a higher education in logic and philosophy. Even the court systems have a burden of proof.

No it is a principle of logic. Hence why I can easily dismiss your view points as you never meet your burden of proof.

You do more. You wish to communicate your views publicly which goes beyond mere opinion

No it is pretty standard for those that are not gullible nor take claims at face value.

No you didn't you just repeated your claims in another way.

Assertion. Besides common sense is one of the worst ways to identify truth. Remember when I mentioned your lack of education? The idea that common sense is useful is due to your lack of education

You still have no provided evidence this is the case. You are reading modern knowledge back into the Bible as if it was there, it isn't. IE you are making stuff up.

Pixie soap
You have absolutely no idea what my level of education is.

dust1n

Zindīq
Hello guys.

What do you think?

Let's take same statistics first. According to Wikipedia the non-religious are no more than 17% of Earth's human populace (so Martians are not included). At least Christians + Muslims make ~53%. Does that imply anything? I'm putting this just for the information here. I'm not going to participate for now.

What about the evolution of humanity? Did religion help or screw things up for it?

Looking forward to knowing your opinions and views in this. Thank you.

References:
List of religious populations - Wikipedia

Don't know, but I know religion exists because of problems. No one would bother being concerned with heaven if they weren't hoping for a life very different from the ones people experience on the planet.

Sonofason

It is quite true that it was God who commanded Moses to cut off his foreskin. Interestingly, I know why God commanded Him to do that, which I have already presented in my earlier fallacious argument. The reason that Moses cut off his foreskin was because what was going on under his foreskin was gross and had to be dealt with. God knew what the problem was, and so God told Him what he had to do, and Moses, being reasonable and obedient obeyed. And I am quite certain that Moses knew immediately that what God told him to do would solve the problem.