• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Philosophy address this thought?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If life is pre-determined (“scripted”) then it would feel as though any control we have, is an illusion. If life were random circumstances strung together, control could still be an illusion. But we would live each day as if that illusion was our reality.

Does this make any sense?
I hadn't thought about it that way. Would we truly notice that our lives were scripted? It would have to be a noticeable amount of control.

Along those lines did you ever see the film called The Adjustment Bureau? Its a light suspense dating flick with speculative fiction. Its based on idea of a world with a flexible scripting, so that people don't notice they are under control of a superhuman bureau that has dimensional portals all over the world and agents that go about changing people's life with small adjustments. In this film the bureau is a superhuman secret agency which controls and monitors the lives of all humans. They never say why the bureau exists or what the plan is for humanity, but the plot revolves around two lovers who resist the script so hard that they discover the bureau and that it is responsible for a lot of their personal suffering.

:D Hollywood seem to pick triplets for fame: Carry Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Humphrey Bogart. They all look kind of similar, so you could do the cup game with them. Pick a decade and there's a triplet. A recent/current triplet is Damon, Whalberg and Ed Norton. Triplets. Now tell me there's nothing scripted about that! Its a plot.

I look like Columbo but live in the wrong decade, so I get no fame out of it.

If life were random circumstances strung together, control could still be an illusion. But we would live each day as if that illusion was our reality.
If we live in a prison but have friends in that prison and don't know we're in prison, then is it a prison?