• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does M-Theory prove Advaita's Brahman?

DanielR

If so how??

I'm starting to shift my interests from philosophy (different strands) to some Physics.

Someone willing to Eli5 to me? :D

I feel like there is some connection but I'm not able to put it into thoughts or words.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Waking-state reality is illusory (maya). It's a dream; not objectively real, but it is subjectively real (cf: The Matrix).

All we see and experience exists only in our own minds. If I dream of a bear, that bear is real to me within the dream. If, in waking-state, I bloviate endlessly on RF, the computer in front of me is real -- again subjectively -- just like the bear.

I created the bear. I created the computer. I'm equally capable of dreaming/creating a Deva.

Ergo, Gods can be real -- subjectively -- just like dream bears and dream computers.

QED

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Maya does not mean that there is nothing at that place (difference from Buddhism which is not very concerned with the question). Maya is that what is there is different from what it seems to be. So, pragmatically Ishvara at lower level of reality, absolutely nothing other than Brahman anywhere at the highest level of reality - Sankara. Just a clarification.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maya does not mean that there is nothing at that place (difference from Buddhism which is not very concerned with the question). Maya is that what is there is different from what it seems to be. So, pragmatically Ishvara at lower level of reality, absolutely nothing other than Brahman anywhere at the highest level of reality - Sankara. Just a clarification.
I understand, but don't see how that contradicts my post. Reality is hierarchal, it's layered. How it's perceived depends on level of consciousness.
My bear and computer are objectively different from what I perceive them to be. At another level they may be interference patterns or swirls in an electromagnetic field. The raccoon in the upper left is not objectively Real. At a deeper level it's a string of 1s and 0s, at an even deeper level....

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I had no intention of contradicting your post. It was, as I said, just a further clarification. :)

DanielR

But wouldn't the existence of Strings confirm Buddhism more than Advaita for example?

Or does M-theory propose some unifying ground like Brahman, is it a certain brane?