• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does love surpass knowledge?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You misunderstood my statement; a contract without anything that holds it together except for mutual consent is an inherently weak agreement.
I didn't misunderstand it: I completely disagreed with it.
That doesn't nullify the obvious fact that many people would never break that contract,
The opposite is true. Show me anyone who would die for a fact, and I will show you a person who feels that they are NOT loved.
but you cant deny that nothing will directly happen should that contract be broken; there are no consequences.
I can and do. Look at the impact that happens when someone is DUMPED by a mere lover.
Maybe I am cynical. Did you read the last bit of my post, though? I did state that life without love is a life bereft of interest or purpose, I am merely stating the drawbacks of it.
Of course I did. I simply pointed out the fallacies.

lunamoth

Will to love
In Ephesians (one of the more philosophical letters of his) Paul claimed that love surpassed knowledge. With respect to "truth", that ever-elusive concept, do we trust love more than knowledge? More than that, IS love greater than knowledge?

Certainly, with regard to diplomacy and discussion, it is more productive to love and understand than to prove and disprove. Love is, by far, more persuasive than knowledge, there is no question of that. However, is love more truthful than knowledge?

The quote is: "I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." -- Ephesians 3:18-19

Paul is praying that the church will be able to know Christ's incredible love, a love which is beyond normal comprehension. Not that love surpasses knowledge, but that Christ's love is so great as to be fathomless.

Sort of like "the peace of Christ which passes all understanding."

Makaveli

Homoioi
I didn't misunderstand it: I completely disagreed with it. The opposite is true. Show me anyone who would die for a fact, and I will show you a person who feels that they are NOT loved. I can and do. Look at the impact that happens when someone is DUMPED by a mere lover. Of course I did. I simply pointed out the fallacies.

I would continue to argue this but I believe I would just be rehashing my points and you would just dismiss them, so I see no reason to continue. Shall we agree to disagree?

TurkeyOnRye

Knowledge is knowledge. It is the accumulation of truth and pays no heed to what we humans care about.

Love is an emotion. Emotion is the body's primary form of motivation. The body motivates itself to achieve its inherent goals (survival, and procreation).

Emotion can bias knowledge to achieve its goals.

Awareness of the fundamental flaws in both can allow us to find a middleground in which passionate love and honest knowledge can peacefully coexist.

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
People fall in love and then they marry. (well not everyone gets married). It takes years for them to gather knowledge about each other.

So love surpasses knowledge. Knowledge comes afterwards. Even many years into a marriage, people can still get to 'know' their partner.

Initially there is SOME knowledge about the person you love, but it is never complete. It however does not hinder us from falling in love. We rather take a risk because our heart tells us what our heads cant.

Falling in love with your head, is not love, falling in love with your heart, means you have faith in the other, without full knowledge of that person.

Heneni