• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does internet sometimes bring the worst out of people?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Really, all the kids who have been killing themselves due to online bullying and you can't empathize with them in the least little bit. Well, thanks for telling us, it's nice to know what kind of character you have.

He has also stated that beating a child with a belt isn't abuse, and made statements that boarder on rape apologism.

[/color]
If a person is so weak minded as to kill themselves over something some idiot says online, then chances are they weren't going to make it in this life anyway.
Empathize with a person of that character, never.
Have to agree with this. Always have.

As to the OT, yeah, people will say stuff they wouldn't say if they were in the room, and some would say it even if you were face to face.
I also think it has alot to do with what you are doing on the net. If your at a site dedicated to your hobby it's fun, common intrests, people tend to get along.
If your at a sight discussing religion and politics things are going to get very heated sometimes. If things get too heated , just shut it off, it's that simple.
If you are suicidally depressed in the first place, stay away from disruptive influences and deal with your real life or you have no one to blame but yourself.
I realise these people often lack the control to make the proper choice, but I don't believe the rest of society should have to be muzzled for their benefit.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Anyone who thinks they know how someone who has killed them self feels, and why they did it. I can not empathize with this, and neither can anyone on this site.
/.

If you think no one knows how someone feels before/when they kill himself, than why do you keep claiming it to be a result of cowardice, fear and weakness?

dust1n

Zindīq
You can attack my character, disagree with my opinion and try your best to stomp puddles through my thoughts, but nothing you can do or say will change the fact that I'm right, at least in this thread.

Things that annoy me: People who judge the entirety of my being based on one disagreeable aspect of my personality.

I'm trying to find it, but what exact facts are you claiming to be right about?

Trey of Diamonds

Because you've blown your brains out, how many times? That little voice in your head is playing tricks on you. Man, you are just too cute.

I haven't, but my uncle did after living with bi-polar disorder his entire life. You know nothing about him or the pain he was in. You know nothing about me or the pain I feel. You know nothing about the lives of his wife and children that were left behind and are still dealing with the pain today. You know nothing and you are very far from cute.

dust1n

Zindīq
I understand, I just don't think there is any need to pretend you're one way in real life, and then turn into someone else online. I think the majority of people aren't really offended as much as they claim to be, online no doubt. I'm me regardless of where I am, though not nearly as opinionated, I will still never let anyone talk down to me.

I thought that was a good quality, apparently not. Maybe I should just fall in line, and agree to be offended by whatever as long as it guarantees I'll still fit in.

I don't get what insulting people humoring yourself has to do with any of that quality. It actually just sounds like you are falling in line.. channelling your pointless opinions into the abyssal internet. That's right rebel, pay your cable bill.

Personally, I've never been offended by people saying stupidities.

Manfred

If you think no one knows how someone feels before/when they kill himself, than why do you keep claiming it to be a result of cowardice, fear and weakness?
Because I don't think a strong willed person would do that. Do you?
I don't get what insulting people humoring yourself has to do with any of that quality.
You don't get it, really? Well let's take a look at what you've just said:
It actually just sounds like you are falling in line.. channelling your pointless opinions into the abyssal internet.
Channelling my pointless opinions....sounds an awful lot like an insult to me, personal even. But you don't get it, do you?
humoring yourself has to do
Humm...your very next sentence:
That's right rebel, pay your cable bill
But I'm the bad guy here, right? * Sniff...is that...nah, couldn't be

Manfred

I haven't, but my uncle did after living with bi-polar disorder his entire life.
You haven't, exactly right. You do not, and can not know what is in the mind of an individual that far removed from reality. That's not an insult pal, that's just the way it is.
You know nothing about him or the pain he was in. You know nothing about me or the pain I feel. You know nothing about the lives of his wife and children that were left behind and are still dealing with the pain today.
I know absolutely nothing about any of this....think maybe that's why I can't empathize with you right now?
You know nothing and you are very far from cute.
I know more than you've given me credit for, champ.

turk179

I smell something....
How does this:
amp7v7.jpg

Change anything, at all?
  • 33yr
  • 6'3"
  • 197lb
Hey, didn't I see that pic on someone elses profile?
Manfred said:
You can attack my character, disagree with my opinion and try your best to stomp puddles through my thoughts, but nothing you can do or say will change the fact that I'm right, at least in this thread.
You didn't even know what empathize means and just finally figured out the point of the thread. We are supposed to believe that your'e right because you say so.:biglaugh:

Manfred said:
Things that annoy me: People who judge the entirety of my being based on one disagreeable aspect of my personality.
What are you, a hypocrite?

Manfred

Hey, didn't I see that pic on someone elses profile?
No, you didn't.
You didn't even know what empathize means and just finally figured out the point of the thread. We are supposed to believe that your'e right because you say so
How should I respond to that, it's makes absolutely no sense. It's like you haven't even read my comments.
What are you, a hypocrite?
Sometimes, but in this thread I'm not.

dust1n

Zindīq

David Foster Wallace wrote a 1200 page novel that was a logistical fractal. That was years before he wrote another novel before he killed himself. George Sanders won an academy award. His note said, "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck." Thich Quang Duc lit himself on fire to protest the American-installed Ngo Dinh Diem during the Vietnam conflict. What qualifies as a strong will to you?

You don't get it, really? Well let's take a look at what you've just said:

Channelling my pointless opinions....sounds an awful lot like an insult to me, personal even. But you don't get it, do you?

Humm...your very next sentence:

But I'm the bad guy here, right? * Sniff...is that...nah, couldn't be
Whoa whoa whoa? Turning the table on me? Why? I just said I'm not offended, like you. We are a like. And when people find humor in brashly showing off their arrogance on various subjects, it does indeed humor me. I was making fun of you. I wouldn't say it was personal, I just think it's cute you think that you haven't 'fallen in line'.

Seriously though, you can call me a hypocrite all you want to. I often respond to douchiness with douchiness, respect with respect, but I wouldn't tell ya otherwise. I honestly could care less what you post. People like you have come and gone thousands of times.

Are you a bad guy? Probably no more than anyone else. Are you bad with empathizing with others to the point you believe you can never truly empathize with someone? I guess. Are you bad at arguing your points or getting anyone to take you seriously? Well, empirically speaking...

not nom

Thich Quang Duc lit himself on fire to protest the American-installed Ngo Dinh Diem during the Vietnam conflict. What qualifies as a strong will to you?

yeah... I think there is a reason this

amp7v7.jpg

isn't the cover for a rage against the machine album.

a guy from my school stabbed himself "successfully" in the heart when he was 18. I didn't know him well, though I had two tapes with death metal music on them which he recorded for me when we were like 13, because I wondered what that stuff is about. he was kind of an outsider, but a friendly guy, he had a great smile actually. there's two things that **** me off about it: never having made any effort to actually get to know him (okay, by the time it happened, I had moved away, I wasn't around; but still), and wanting to shake him and tell him to JUST WAIT - because of course killing himself was stupid and pointless, and just robbed him and the world. "empathizing" isn't "agreeing", nowhere near. but weak? that's too simple. seems kinda cowardly and defensive to sum it up that way, or just shallow and ignorant. but "correct"? heh..

turk179

I smell something....
No, you didn't.

How should I respond to that, it's makes absolutely no sense. It's like you haven't even read my comments.

Sometimes, but in this thread I'm not.
I bet you are the friendliest and most agreeable person in real life.

dust1n

Zindīq
a guy from my school stabbed himself "successfully" in the heart when he was 18. I didn't know him well, though I had two tapes with death metal music on them which he recorded for me when we were like 13, because I wondered what that stuff is about. he was kind of an outsider, but a friendly guy, he had a great smile actually. there's two things that **** me off about it: never having made any effort to actually get to know him (okay, by the time it happened, I had moved away, I wasn't around; but still), and wanting to shake him and tell him to JUST WAIT - because of course killing himself was stupid and pointless, and just robbed him and the world. "empathizing" isn't "agreeing", nowhere near. but weak? that's too simple. seems kinda cowardly and defensive to sum it up that way, or just shallow and ignorant. but "correct"? heh..

I don't care what he thinks about people who commit suicide, generally. What I don't understand is why he is mad at others for claiming to empathize with people who kill themselves, spouts off how no one could ever know what it's like to be someone who kills themself, then goes on to claim how weak and deficit of character the people who kill themselves are, without elaborating, and then claiming not to be a hypocrite all in a matter of a few posts.

dust1n

Zindīq
Post #40

If a person is so weak minded as to kill themselves over something some idiot says online, then chances are they weren't going to make it in this life anyway.
Empathize with a person of that character, never.

Post #44

How can I possibly empathize with someone who has blown their brains out, as a matter of fact, I'm appalled by anyone who thinks they can. I'm not a coward, and I'm not the least bit sorry for saying that, either.
Doesn't make what I've said any less true, hero.

Post #48

Anyone who thinks they know how someone who has killed them self feels, and why they did it. I can not empathize with this, and neither can anyone on this site.
/.

Nope, you can't empathize with that, but you can make all sorts of negative judgments about it, that's 'true'.

Post #58

Because you've blown your brains out, how many times? That little voice in your head is playing tricks on you. Man, you are just too cute.

There are some things that people will never relate to, no matter how far up their on *** they've crawled. Suicide is one of them. You people need to start paying attention to what I say, and stop letting pride get the best of you, then you'll see I'm right about this.

How do you know so much about suicide if you haven't killed yourself?

Post #70

So which is it? Either you don't know why people kill themselves, or they do so because they have a 'weak will' (whatever that means) and were cowering to something?

Draka

Wonder Woman
You know, the claim that people cannot empathize with someone who has killed themselves because they have not killed themselves is more than ridiculous. There are plenty of people in the world who know what it is like to want to kill themselves. To have come close to or even attempted it. Just because their attempt might have failed or they didn't have it in them to go through with it doesn't mean they have no idea what it is like to feel like killing themselves. People know despair, hopelessness, grief and know how it feels and how it hurts to the core. People who have had great despair in their lives can most definitely empathize with despair. Regardless of the outcome.