• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does internet sometimes bring the worst out of people?

Trey of Diamonds

If a person is so weak minded as to kill themselves over something some idiot says online, then chances are they weren't going to make it in this life anyway.
Empathize with a person of that character, never.

Really, all the kids who have been killing themselves due to online bullying and you can't empathize with them in the least little bit. Well, thanks for telling us, it's nice to know what kind of character you have.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If a person is so weak minded as to kill themselves over something some idiot says online, then chances are they weren't going to make it in this life anyway.
Empathize with a person of that character, never.
Actually the victims and bullies often know each other. But with that attitude, we know who the real ******* is.

Manfred

Really, all the kids who have been killing themselves due to online bullying and you can't empathize with them in the least little bit. Well, thanks for telling us, it's nice to know what kind of character you have.
How can I possibly empathize with someone who has blown their brains out, as a matter of fact, I'm appalled by anyone who thinks they can. I'm not a coward, and I'm not the least bit sorry for saying that, either.
Actually the victims and bullies often know each other. But with that attitude, we know who the real ******* is.
Doesn't make what I've said any less true, hero.

Trey of Diamonds

How can I possibly empathize with someone who has blown their brains out, as a matter of fact, I'm appalled by anyone who thinks they can. I'm not a coward, and I'm not the least bit sorry for saying that, either.

What a cold and heartless world you live in. Best of luck finding any happiness in it.

Manfred

What a cold and heartless world you live in. Best of luck finding any happiness in it.
No need to get personal, but I have enough happiness to last 2 life times.
What's cold and heartless about anything I've said, anyway? It's the truth, not like I'm making this up.

Why do you think every major Empire the world has known, or will ever know has fallen, and will continue to fall? A bit off topic, but still relevant. Is it because cold, cynical SOBs like myself gain complete control, or is it because of the weakness bred into the populous over centuries of equality finally gives way to sterilization; the impotence of what's now common sense?

People should know their place, but they don't because others lie to them in order to save face.

not nom

so you don't know sadness at all and are appalled by people who do? or just generally by people who "don't make it" (make what? lol..) and those who give 'em the time of day?

oh noes, empathy... hop on the table and shriek! it's what winners do ^^

Doesn't make what I've said any less true, hero.

oh, it does. what you sum up as "words online" is usually more complex. I dare say those words are not ever the sole cause, either.

Manfred

so you don't know sadness at all and are appalled by people who do? or just generally by people who "don't make it" (make what? lol..) and those who give 'em the time of day?
Anyone who thinks they know how someone who has killed them self feels, and why they did it. I can not empathize with this, and neither can anyone on this site.
/.

not nom

Anyone who thinks they know how someone who has killed them self feels, and why they did it. I can not empathize with this, and neither can anyone on this site.
/.

empathizing is slightly more than "knowing [exactly] how someone feels". I know sadness, or frustration or whatever, fear, lack of self-love -- I just don't know sufficient amounts of them to kill myself. or if you want to put it negatively, I know being a wuss and avoiding responsibilities -- just not enough of that for suicide. so yeah, I don't know how that is, but it's still not completely alien. I know hate, so I can empathize with murderers, and so on.

I never broke a leg. does that mean when I cringe when hearing of it, or wish someone to get better, or say "gee, I wish they wouldn't have broken their leg" that I'm just faking it, or deluding myself?

ultimately everybody just empathizes just with that part of it which they know themselves -- so? what's so appalling about it? it's not like just because I know pain, I think I know how it is to break a leg. I just empathize and frankly, the "target" usually appreciates it for what it is, instead of like you criticizing it for what it isn't.

why is it not enough for you to speak for yourself? so you can't empathize with that, you say. I'm not even arguing with it, I don't care. but why do you care to tell others what they can do or can't do? that's like telling me I can't possibly have 10 fingers (or 8 fingers and 2 thumbs, before anyone brings that up ^^), it's just laughable.

turk179

I smell something....
No need to get personal, but I have enough happiness to last 2 life times.
What's cold and heartless about anything I've said, anyway? It's the truth, not like I'm making this up.

Why do you think every major Empire the world has known, or will ever know has fallen, and will continue to fall? A bit off topic, but still relevant. Is it because cold, cynical SOBs like myself gain complete control, or is it because of the weakness bred into the populous over centuries of equality finally gives way to sterilization; the impotence of what's now common sense?

People should know their place, but they don't because others lie to them in order to save face.
Well you are right about one thing. You should know your place but your'e too busy pretending to be the cold honest face of reality to know what that place is. Since you seem to be the poster child of this op, how do we know you are not some meek and scared 15 year old boy hiding behind his acne and a keyboard who in real life walks around being all nicey nice. Does the internet bring out the beast in you or are you "mister macho cold facts" all day long?

Manfred

Well you are right about one thing. You should know your place but your'e too busy pretending to be the cold honest face of reality to know what that place is. Since you seem to be the poster child of this op, how do we know you are not some meek and scared 15 year old boy hiding behind his acne and a keyboard who in real life walks around being all nicey nice. Does the internet bring out the beast in you or are you "mister macho cold facts" all day long?
How does this:
amp7v7.jpg

Change anything, at all?
  • 33yr
  • 6'3"
  • 197lb
You can attack my character, disagree with my opinion and try your best to stomp puddles through my thoughts, but nothing you can do or say will change the fact that I'm right, at least in this thread.

Things that annoy me: People who judge the entirety of my being based on one disagreeable aspect of my personality.

Dipintus

When you're online, your real voice comes out, or so it should, but it doesn't because the people who are afraid of their true voice will ***** about the ones who aren't.

It's quite the contrary in my case. I tend to be more outspoken in RL, mostly because I can make my point more clearly and quickly. For example, in real life I would have probaly stated that people are themselves only when wearing a mask, even though I don't personally believe it, just to enjoy the reactions and the heat that would follow. The net doesn't give the same kind of fun - here (at least in moderated boards) I can discuss the actual subject without being tempted to cause mischief.

It's the entire point of this thread, really: do you need the protection of the net to be yourself? Would you behave the same way in RL if weren't afraid of the consequences?

Manfred

It's the entire point of this thread, really: do you need the protection of the net to be yourself? Would you behave the same way in RL if weren't afraid of the consequences?
I understand, I just don't think there is any need to pretend you're one way in real life, and then turn into someone else online. I think the majority of people aren't really offended as much as they claim to be, online no doubt. I'm me regardless of where I am, though not nearly as opinionated, I will still never let anyone talk down to me.

I thought that was a good quality, apparently not. Maybe I should just fall in line, and agree to be offended by whatever as long as it guarantees I'll still fit in.

Trey of Diamonds

/.

You don't know me so don't speak for me. I will decide what I can and can not empathize with.

not nom

You don't know me so don't speak for me. I will decide what I can and can not empathize with.

my point it exactly, and therefore lol @ "nothing you can do or say will change the fact that I'm right, at least in this thread" ^^

manfred, there is no conspiracy of people pretending to have empathy, that actually occurs.

Dipintus

I understand, I just don't think there is any need to pretend you're one way in real life, and then turn into someone else online. [...]
I'm me regardless of where I am, though not nearly as opinionated, I will still never let anyone talk down to me.

...that is turning into someone else while online.
Nobody is defending people who, say, claim not to be racist but join the KKK online.

Manfred

Because you've blown your brains out, how many times? That little voice in your head is playing tricks on you. Man, you are just too cute.

manfred, there is no conspiracy of people pretending to have empathy, that actually occurs.
There are some things that people will never relate to, no matter how far up their on *** they've crawled. Suicide is one of them. You people need to start paying attention to what I say, and stop letting pride get the best of you, then you'll see I'm right about this.

not nom

There are some things that people will never relate to, no matter how far up their on *** they've crawled. Suicide is one of them. You people need to start paying attention to what I say, and stop letting pride get the best of you, then you'll see I'm right about this.

well doh, of course nobody knows how it feels to have successfully killed oneself. great point :areyoucra

Dipintus

One doesn't need to have experienced someone's exact same experience to relate to his feelings - if that was the case, nobody would be able to feel any empathy at all.
Sure, I cannot claim to have perfect understanding of what a suicide is feeling, but the same applies to every single experience on earth.