• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Gods existence matter?

lunakilo

If you are religious and found out that God does not exist, or if you are not religious and found out that God is real, do you think it would change your life in any major way?

For example:
Would you live your life differently?
Would you views on what is right and wrong change?
Would you do things you don't do now?
Would you stop doing anything you do now?

Skwim

Veteran Member
If you are religious and found out that God does not exist, or if you are not religious and found out that God is real, do you think it would change your life in any major way?

For example:
If I found out that god is real, how I reacted would depend on which god it is.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Not really, no.

No.

No.

Not really.

I'd stop chanting and visiting places of worship, but most of the things I do aren't really God-dependent.

If I found out a God concept I do not believe in that I do not really like was real..
I'd not worship it, but would acknowledge it's existence.

I don't want to kiss the proverbial behind of a Deity because it threatens to torture me if I don't.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It would answer a philosophical question, and not much else.

For example:
No.

ellenjanuary

Yes and no. From the (updated) third line of the Gwynnite Hypothesis:

The purpose of god is for all individuals to find unity in god.

I have an agenda, that not so much seeks to prove the existence of god, as to forward the beneficial necessity of a concept of god.

All of your other questions changed in August of 2005 (when god showed up on the jobsite ;) ), but, according to traditional definitions, I don't believe in god nor have faith in god, but I trust in god. And largely, I leave god undefined, other than the recent promotion of "cool god.":cool:

elcazador

I would feel much more empty if I was the only one who recognized spirtituality as part of mankind. In such a thoughtless world, I would feel quite hopeless.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There are four basic motivations....
Religion...politics...military....and economy.

Take away religion...and you are then dependent of the love your fellowman shares with his fellowman....on a social level.
(yeah...right)

Take away politics...and no one is in charge....chaos.
No overall scheme of things.

Take away the military....and we go back to the old west days of America.

Take away the economy...and you have isolated communities struggling to support themselves and fend off intrusion.

Reinstall belief in God...and order will return.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I doubt that any such future proof confirming an existence of God would change my MO in light that life will continue on as it does already at present. Only change would be my personal position on the matter.

PH/CIB

The highest form of humanity both on an intellectual level and an emotional level is love, therefore God must be Pure Love and not really related to or dependent on any of the World's Religions.

If humanity were to find out that there was no God, it would not matter, Love is the highest form of human expression and intellect and it is to be strived for whether there is a God or not and whether you believe in God or not.

PhAA

Grand Master

For example:
If a god was real that can show me all the necessary and ultimate proofs, yeah I think the changes in my life would depend on what kind of god he is. Books, theories, and opinions won't matter anymore. BUT I'M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If I found out that there was a god, I would constantly be aware of living my life according to the rules laid down by this god. Any other course would be rather stupid.

Of course, this is why I think most people who claim belief in god don't really believe, as they don't seem to live as though god really exists.

Orias

Left Hand Path
If I found out that there was a god, I would constantly be aware of living my life according to the rules laid down by this god. Any other course would be rather stupid.

Of course, this is why I think most people who claim belief in god don't really believe, as they don't seem to live as though god really exists.

I agree, they live as though they write the rules, giving all of the credit to "God".

People would be much better of realizing themselves.

As for the existence of "God", sure it matters. Everything that is defined must have some value towards it's distinction, otherwise it wouldn't be.

Not to mention the earliest found definition of "God" came from the Sanskrit language over 15,000 years ago, which was defined as- to implore, to invoke, to sense.

Last edited: