• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Really Care About Women?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
“Sin began with a woman, and thanks to her we must all die.”—ECCLESIASTICUS, SECOND CENTURY B.C.E.

“You are the devil’s gateway: you are the unsealer of that forbidden tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law . . . You destroyed so easily God’s image, man.”—TERTULLIAN, ON THE APPAREL OF WOMEN, SECOND CENTURY C.E.

THOSE ancient verses are not from the Bible. For centuries, they have been used to justify discrimination against women. Even today, some extremists still cite religious texts to legitimize the domination of women, claiming that women are to blame for mankind’s ills. Did God really purpose for women to be scorned and abused by men? What does the Bible say? Let us see.

Have women been cursed by God?
No. Instead, it is “the original serpent, the one called Devil,” who has been “cursed” by God. (Revelation 12:9; Genesis 3:14) When God said that Adam would “dominate” his wife, God was not indicating his approval of the subjugation of woman by man. (Genesis 3:16) He was simply foretelling the sad consequences of sin on the first couple.

Thus, the abuse of women is a direct outcome of the sinful nature of humans, not of God’s will. The Bible does not support the idea that women must be subjugated to men in order to atone for the original sin.—Romans 5:12.

Did God create woman inferior to man?
No. Genesis 1:27 states: “God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.” So from the very beginning, humans—both male and female—were created with the ability to reflect God’s qualities. Although Adam and Eve had their own unique emotional and physical makeup, they both received the same commission and enjoyed the same rights before their Maker.—Genesis 1:28-31.

Prior to Eve’s creation, God declared: “I am going to make a helper for him [Adam], as a complement of him.” (Genesis 2:18) Does the word “complement” imply that the woman was inferior to the man? No, because this Hebrew word can also be rendered “counterpart” or “a help corresponding to” man. Think of the complementary roles played by a surgeon and an anesthetist during surgery. Can one manage without the other? Hardly! Though the surgeon performs the actual operation, is he more important? It is hard to say. Likewise, God created the man and the woman to cooperate closely, not to compete with each other.—Genesis 2:24.

What shows God’s concern for women?
Foreseeing what fallen, sinful men would do, God early on expressed his intention to protect women. Speaking of the Mosaic Law, instituted in the 16th century B.C.E., author Laure Aynard, in her book La Bible au féminin (The Bible in the Feminine Gender), notes: “For the most part, when the Law covenant speaks of the woman, it is to defend her.”

For instance, the Law commanded honor and respect for both father and mother. (Exodus 20:12; 21:15, 17) It also required that due consideration be shown to pregnant women. (Exodus 21:22) Even today, the protection provided by those laws of God stands in sharp contrast with the lack of legal rights that some women experience in many parts of the world. But there is more.

A Law That Reflects God’s View of Women
The Law that Jehovah God gave the nation of Israel provided the people—men and women—with boundless physical, moral, and spiritual benefits. As long as they listened and obeyed, the nation was “high above all other nations of the earth.” (Deuteronomy 28:1, 2) What was the woman’s place under the Law? Consider the following....Read Full Article online

Big_TJ

THOSE ancient verses are not from the Bible. For centuries, they have been used to justify discrimination against women. Even today, some extremists still cite religious texts to legitimize the domination of women, claiming that women are to blame for mankind’s ills. Did God really purpose for women to be scorned and abused by men? What does the Bible say? Let us see.

Pegg, you mentioned that those verses are not from the bible; does it means that they were not writings inspired by God? In other words, do you think that only the 66 books in the bible is inspired writings?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What are your thoughts on this, Pegg? Just curious if you sense a bit of unfairness for your gender

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Pegg, you mentioned that those verses are not from the bible; does it means that they were not writings inspired by God? In other words, do you think that only the 66 books in the bible is inspired writings?

Yes, these writers were not writing with Gods thoughts in mind. They were writing from their own beliefs or opinions.

When people are inspired to write Gods word, they are not writing their own opinions on matters...they are writing Gods thoughts. Thats what 'inspired' means.

We know Turtullian and the writer of the apochryphal book Ecclesiasticus were not writting Gods thoughts because we already have Gods opinion on the matter of women as found in the writings of the prophets in the bible. God says that sin was the result, not of the womans actions but of the mans action.

So neither writer is speaking from Gods viewpoint and hence not inspired.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What are your thoughts on this, Pegg? Just curious if you sense a bit of unfairness for your gender

of course the female gender has been unfairly targeted and it is the result of falling away from Gods perfect standards and from full spiritual comprehension.

When Adam stopped following the leading of holy spirit, he became more animalistic, as did Eve.

I say 'animalistic' because animals do not have spirituality...they are purely physical creatures and follow the leadings of their physical needs. When Adam started to live that way, his focused changed from a person who served God and followed Gods direction, to one who followed his own fleshly desires.

The result is that he dominated over the woman just as God had warned. And mankind has continued down that path for thousands of years. But if we look at examples of men who turned back to God and followed the leading of Gods spirit, they did not dominate their partners in such ways...men who follow Gods example are loving and good heads for their wives.

Big_TJ

Yes, these writers were not writing with Gods thoughts in mind. They were writing from their own beliefs or opinions.

When people are inspired to write Gods word, they are not writing their own opinions on matters...they are writing Gods thoughts. Thats what 'inspired' means.

We know Turtullian and the writer of the apochryphal book Ecclesiasticus were not writting Gods thoughts because we already have Gods opinion on the matter of women as found in the writings of the prophets in the bible. God says that sin was the result, not of the womans actions but of the mans action.

So neither writer is speaking from Gods viewpoint and hence not inspired.

I am not sure that I get an answer to my question. I asked if you, or by extension JWs, believe that only the 66 books in our existing bible was inspired by God.

Also, why isn't it possible that, even when they were writing their personal beliefs or opinions, they were not inspired by God? After all, Paul's writings contain a lot of his personal beliefs and opinions; doesn't it?

Respectfully.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I am not sure that I get an answer to my question. I asked if you, or by extension JWs, believe that only the 66 books in our existing bible was inspired by God.

Also, why isn't it possible that, even when they were writing their personal beliefs or opinions, they were not inspired by God? After all, Paul's writings contain a lot of his personal beliefs and opinions; doesn't it?

Respectfully.

Yes we do only accept the 66 books of the bible as inspired.

The reason is simply because all other writings prove in some way that they do not completely adhere to the thoughts of the bible. And the fact is, the inspired books of the hebrew scriptures were sealed long ago by the jewish priesthood and likewise the christian scriptures written during the lifetime of Jesus Apostles are the only ones that we can fully trust to be acceptable for christian teaching because they came with the Apostles approval and only the apostles were given the responsibility to lay down the teachings of Christ. Paul was personally commissioned by Jesus and had holy spirit...that makes all his writings worthy of inclusion and thats why the Apostles accepted Pauls writings as inspired...Paul had the power to raise people from the dead! How could he do that if it was not by Gods power. We must respect Pauls writings simply for the way God used him back in the first century.

Therefore we can't accept anything else as inspired. We dont even accept our own WT articles as inspired.

Last edited:

Big_TJ

Yes we do only accept the 66 books of the bible as inspired.

The reason is simply because all other writings prove in some way that they do not completely adhere to the thoughts of the bible. And the fact is, the inspired books of the hebrew scriptures were sealed long ago by the jewish priesthood and likewise the christian scriptures written during the lifetime of Jesus Apostles are the only ones that we can fully trust to be acceptable for christian teaching because they came with the Apostles approval and only the apostles were given the responsibility to lay down the teachings of Christ. Paul was personally commissioned by Jesus and had holy spirit...that makes all his writings worthy of inclusion and thats why the Apostles accepted Pauls writings as inspired...Paul had the power to raise people from the dead! How could he do that if it was not by Gods power. We must respect Pauls writings simply for the way God used him back in the first century.

Therefore we can't accept anything else as inspired. We dont even accept our own WT articles as inspired.

Ok thanks.. Is a this way that the JWs are accepting that there is evidence that God worked through the Roman Catholic church? After all, it was them who chose these 66 books; correct?

And the section I colored is incorrect. As far is my research showed, NONE of the books of the New Testament were written "during the lifetime of Jesus"

So your admission that Paul was writing his own opinion on matters would suggest, by your definition, that he was not inspired. Just a thought..

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Ok thanks.. Is a this way that the JWs are accepting that there is evidence that God worked through the Roman Catholic church? After all, it was them who chose these 66 books; correct?

God may have used them to keep the holy writings guarded, sure. But they certainly did not write them or have any input into their contents.

Collecting the holy writings together and keeping them safe could have been done by anyone.

And the section I colored is incorrect. As far is my research showed, NONE of the books of the New Testament were written "during the lifetime of Jesus"

It says.... "during the lifetime of Jesus Apostles..."
All the books of the New Testament was complete by 100CE. Most of the writings were complete before the destruction of the Temple in 70CE as can be seen by the fact that no writer mentions that destruction, and they are still actively preaching in the temple area according to their writings.

So obviously their wrote their books before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70CE.

So your admission that Paul was writing his own opinion on matters would suggest, by your definition, that he was not inspired. Just a thought..

when he does write from his own opinion, he actually states that it is his own opinion. So what does that say about the rest of his writings? A man who has been personally commissioned by Christ and who has recieved an anointing by holy spirit to preach in the name of Christ and teach the truth according to the teachings of Christ could most certainly be viewed as inspired.

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
Ok thanks.. Is a this way that the JWs are accepting that there is evidence that God worked through the Roman Catholic church? After all, it was them who chose these 66 books; correct

The Roman Catholic canon contains 73 books not 66. These are the same 73 books listed by Athanasius and the councils of Hippo and Carthage in the 4th century. It was Luther who decided that 7 books should be omitted because they did not appear in the Jewish canon that was established after the time of Jesus despite their appearance in the Septuagint bible that the Apostles used.

Big_TJ

The Roman Catholic canon contains 73 books not 66. These are the same 73 books listed by Athanasius and the councils of Hippo and Carthage in the 4th century. It was Luther who decided that 7 books should be omitted because they did not appear in the Jewish canon that was established after the time of Jesus despite their appearance in the Septuagint bible that the Apostles used.

73? Interesting... I didn't know that.. Thanks for the information; I will go and look it up.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: Does God Really Care About Women?
-----------------------------------------------------
I think so..:)
There have always been special women in the Bible-
Miriam who saved her baby brother Moses from death when she was just a child;
Deborah, prophetess, judge and military leader;
Huldah who taught at the college in Jerusalem.;
Rahab the prostitute who sheltered the two fugitive Israelis,
The evangelist Philip had four daughters who were preachers;
The early Christian sect in Phrygia was led by Montanus and two preachers, Priscilla and Maximilla..

And Paul paid glowing tributes to women in the early churches -
"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea..she has been a great help to many people, including me..
Greet Priscilla , my fellow worker in Christ Jesus, she risked her life for me.
Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you..
Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa and Persis, those women who work hard in the Lord.
Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too.
Greet Julia.." (Romans ch 16)

And he reminds us-
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )

Jesus said to the snooty priests-"The prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you" (Matt 21:31)
And he said "I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Matt 5:28 )

Elsewhere too the Bible speaks for women's rights -
"Control yourselves honourably, not in lust like the heathens" (1 Thess 4:4/5)
"Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love.." (Ecc 9:9)
"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will preach, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. On my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will speak." (Joel 2:28-32)
"Husbands, be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect.." (1 Peter 3:1-7)

Last edited: