• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God FORGET???

ProfLogic

Snowbear said:
No. That would be Satan who is trying to confuse you... Especially now that you are trying to seek answers from and about God.

How do you know that its not the other way around? Why couldn't Satan be the self proclaimed god in the first place?

ProfLogic

NetDoc said:
Why would you assume that the Christian God is omniscient? The scriptures don't teach that as a premise.

I believe the Catholic Church does. I guess its their interpretation.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
How do you know that its not the other way around? Why couldn't Satan be the self proclaimed god in the first place?

I can't speak for Snowbear, but because of Snowbear's experiences she knows it is God. That's how it is for me.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Why should you care what Christians think or what God thinks? Maybe think for yourself and decide on what you believe instead of relying on others to make that decision for yourself.

Whoaaa this is the first time I heard this from a christian. Isn't this the free will that the bible god does not trust?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Whoaaa this is the first time I heard this from a christian. Isn't this the free will that the bible god does not trust?

The Bible God advocates free will, but then again, I dobut you will be viewing the same Bible as I am.

ProfLogic

dawny0826 said:
"Remember their sin no more" means that He FORGIVES.

It was HIS design. His rules. I think He calls the shots and determines His own nature.

If it forgives, how come it never gave the people it killed in the flood on the story Noah's ark a chance for redemption? I don't believe it ever said that it forgave the evils of those men, women and children? I am pretty sure there were innocent beings killed, if there was actually the great flood.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
If it forgives, how come it never gave the people it killed in the flood on the story Noah's ark a chance for redemption? I don't believe it ever said that it forgave the evils of those men, women and children? I am pretty sure there were innocent beings killed, if there was actually the great flood.

Oh my, have you even read that story? He gave his people chance, after chance, after chance. Noah preached to them over and over again, the people still didn't not wish to be redeemed.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
ProfLogic said:
Becky pretty much answered this... but I'll add - God proclaims to me in no uncertain terms that is He IS God. He proves it in ways I cannot count.

All Satan does for me is try to confuse issues and try plant seeds of doubt.
Satan often uses people to attempt to do this.... Those people are easy to recognize though. They're the ones who keep making statements trying to discredit God and His divinity :D

ProfLogic

Snowbear said:
Becky pretty much answered this... but I'll add - God proclaims to me in no uncertain terms that is He IS God. He proves it in ways I cannot count.

All Satan does for me is try to confuse issues and try plant seeds of doubt.
Satan often uses people to attempt to do this.... Those people are easy to recognize though. They're the ones who keep making statements trying to discredit God and His divinity :D

That means you are in contact with the self proclaimed god since it has proven itself to you? By the way about satan, it does not exists. Ever notice that the self proclaimed god wants its believers to destroy the evil ones.. not satan but humanity. It wants humanity to fight one another thus creating its advisary....satan in the minds of men. One way to be dependent on a self proclaimed god is to tell you that there is a god like threat that has its domain on the earth with mankind. I say humanity should not fight or pick sides... If you thing satan exists, then why don't you just let the self proclaimed god fight it itself becuase it was the one who created it in the first place? Then humanity can focus on understanding one another....

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Oh my, have you even read that story? He gave his people chance, after chance, after chance. Noah preached to them over and over again, the people still didn't not wish to be redeemed.

Lets see, well if someone tells you to change your religion now becuase god sent him/her to you would you change your religion? Or would it be more effective if the self proclaimed god gets in your mind and convinces you to repent?

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
The Bible God advocates free will, but then again, I dobut you will be viewing the same Bible as I am.

Lets see again, the tree of knowledge, the birth of freewill.... God forbids adam or eve to touch it and the self proclaimed god advocates freewill.. now thats really confusing....

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
I can't speak for Snowbear, but because of Snowbear's experiences she knows it is God. That's how it is for me.

If your experience is having a two way conversation then I might believe that you were in contact with the self proclaimed god, but if it is just your own feeling then sorry it is just that your won feeling. You might be a kind hearted person form the start. There are lots of people who never read the bible or believe in god, but they from within themselves still treat humanity equally and lives peacefully with thier neighbors. Question to ask is, are you that type of person or do you need the guidance of the bible to make you believe that you are a good person as society defines good. No one really knows what is good or evil as you know.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Fluffy said:
Heya Kathryn,
As I said to Netdoc, these terms are thrown around perhaps more than they should. It is one of the reasons that when I engage in these sorts of discussions, I prefer to approach a non-denominational demiurge rather than, say, the biblical God.
I couldn't agree more. My point was that philosophical terms like "omnicient," "omnipotent," and "omnipresent," are words that human beings have used to describe God. As soon as we attribute such a term to God, we find ourselves in a position of trying to prove that the term applies in all situations. In other words, as soon as we say that God is omnipotent (or all-powerful), the pointless question arises, "Can God create a stone that is too big for Him to lift?" Regardless of whether you answer with a "yes" or a "no," God's supposed "omnipotence" is proven false. When we say that God is "omnipresent," we are faced with having to explain how an omnipresent being can move, since movement can occur only when there are boundaries against which said movement can be measured. When we say He is omniscient, the question of free-will versus determinism immediately comes up. Thus, from my point of view, we ought to stick to what the scriptures themselves say about God's attributes and not try to find one-word catch-all labels that will inevitably fall short of describing Him.

However, as long as we are defining omniscience to be "infinite understanding" and not bringing along any baggage that the word might have gained from prior or accepted definitions then semantic discrepancies cannot avoid the argument. I am uncertain whether that has happened in this case.
I didn't know that's how we were defining it. That's part of the problem. When someone uses a word like "omniscient" when what they actually mean to say is "having inifinite understanding" and then goes on to quote a verse that describes God simply as "infinite," how is anyone but the poster to know what he was thinking? To me, "infinite" means "without limits or bounderies, having no beginning or end." It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with God's perfect knowledge or supposed "omniscience."

Genna

Revelation 1:8 - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Almighty according to the Lexicons:

G3841
παντοκράτωρ
pantokratōr
pan-tok-rat'-ore
From G3956 and G2904; the all ruling, that is, God (as absolute and universal sovereign): - Almighty, Omnipotent.

According to the book you read called the "bible", God is Omnipotent, this is not MY opinion, this is what your book that you read says. You have yet to prove me wrong, I am simply using the bible, showing the definition of the word as it means in the original language. If you can somehow disprove this then great! Philosophical interpretations and personal opinions is just that, look at the source.

Truth101

Katspur said: I didn't know that's how we were defining it. That's part of the problem. When someone uses a word like "omniscient" when what they actually mean to say is "having inifinite understanding" and then goes on to quote a verse that describes God simply as "infinite," how is anyone but the poster to know what he was thinking? To me, "infinite" means "without limits or bounderies, having no beginning or end." It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with God's perfect knowledge or supposed "omniscience."

Infinite I believe is more of something that cannot be difined using borders not that it doesn't have borders,rather than it being something which has no beginning or ending.
It like saying "there are an infinute number of choices", but that does not mean their was no beginning and end of the choices. I believe the use of the words infinite and eternal are most commonly understtod to be one and the same when they are not. Infinite has more of a reference to a calculable thing rather than having no beginning or ending.
I believe God is infinite because He is unmeasurable (calculable), but also without borders as we can determine from scripture . He is also eternal because He has no beginning or ending. He views all that is within time at once and therefore this is why He is omniscient. He knows all at once whereas we experience time in microseconds, seconds, minutes, hours, etc, etc. We are unable to be omniscient and so we are unable to calculate anything infinite. Infinite things go beyond our human ability to calculate them whether they are truly without beginning or ending or not we would not know but God we know IS without beginning or ending and therefore eternal.

God Bless, Dave

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
Revelation 1:8 - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Almighty according to the Lexicons:

G3841
παντοκράτωρ
pantokratōr
pan-tok-rat'-ore
From G3956 and G2904; the all ruling, that is, God (as absolute and universal sovereign): - Almighty, Omnipotent.

According to the book you read called the "bible", God is Omnipotent, this is not MY opinion, this is what your book that you read says. You have yet to prove me wrong, I am simply using the bible, showing the definition of the word as it means in the original language. If you can somehow disprove this then great! Philosophical interpretations and personal opinions is just that, look at the source.
Actually, "[my] book that read" does not. While some translations of the Bible may very well use the word "omnipotent," the King James Version, which is my preferred version, does not. I have already explained the reason why I choose not to use this specific word to describe God. Just to clear up any misconception, though, I most certainly do believe Him to be "almighty." I may even interpret this word differently than you do. In the context of this particular discussion, I don't believe the fact that He says He will "forget" certain things to be a flaw in His character or ability. I believe it to be a choice. And I thank Him for it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Lets see, well if someone tells you to change your religion now becuase god sent him/her to you would you change your religion? Or would it be more effective if the self proclaimed god gets in your mind and convinces you to repent?

No, only if I experienced myself.

Joseph Smith said God came to Him along with Jesus Christ, but I didn't truly believe it until I was about 18 years old.

I said I did, but that was to make people happy.

Is is a problem that I experienced it that way?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Lets see again, the tree of knowledge, the birth of freewill.... God forbids adam or eve to touch it and the self proclaimed god advocates freewill.. now thats really confusing....

Not really, forbiding and actually limiting free will is a whole 'nother ballgame. It's quite apparent you can't tell the difference.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
If your experience is having a two way conversation then I might believe that you were in contact with the self proclaimed god, but if it is just your own feeling then sorry it is just that your won feeling.

And I could care less what you think or seem to comment about my experience. I'm not out there to convert you.

ProfLogic said:
You might be a kind hearted person form the start. There are lots of people who never read the bible or believe in god, but they from within themselves still treat humanity equally and lives peacefully with thier neighbors.

I never said differently, do not insuiate my character.

ProfLogic said:
Question to ask is, are you that type of person or do you need the guidance of the bible to make you believe that you are a good person as society defines good. No one really knows what is good or evil as you know.

I need the Bible because it is God's word and I believe I need God's word, not because I need to be true. Your image of Christianity is fairly scewed and you cannot see past your bias-side-blinders. Listen to the people who are commenting for once instead of letting your pride and your ego get in the way.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
ProfLogic said:
That means you are in contact with the self proclaimed god since it has proven itself to you?
Absolutely :D
ProfLogic said:
By the way about satan, it does not exists.
Yes it does.
ProfLogic said:
Ever notice that the self proclaimed god wants its believers to destroy the evil ones.. not satan but humanity. It wants humanity to fight one another thus creating its advisary....satan in the minds of men.
No He doesn't. He wants us to love them, not fight them.
Satan's the one who wants the fighting and destruction.
ProfLogic said:
I say humanity should not fight or pick sides...
Say whatever you want. I pick the side of good, not evil. Whether or not to fight evil (not humanity) is my choice to make, not yours to make for me.
ProfLogic said:
... If you thing satan exists, then why don't you just let the self proclaimed god fight it itself becuase it was the one who created it in the first place?
Satan is trying to influence me. I'll fight it every step of the way.
ProfLogic said:
Then humanity can focus on understanding one another....
Understanding is not easy and is a good thing to strive for. Loving humanity is much, much more difficult....