• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does god exist

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
why do you believe/ not believe that god exists? where is the evidence to back up your belief.
p.s. sorry if there is another thread on this. im new on this forum.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
why do you believe/ not believe that god exists? where is the evidence to back up your belief.
p.s. sorry if there is another thread on this. im new on this forum.

A lack of belief stems from lack of evidence. We cannot disprove unicorns and leprechauns, but that's not sufficient reason to believe they in fact do exist.

We can accept that something is possible while not believing that it is actual, due to logic and evidence suggesting it is improbable.

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
A lack of belief stems from lack of evidence. We cannot disprove unicorns and leprechauns, but that's not sufficient reason to believe they in fact do exist.

ummm have you read the link to the thread that i posted above.

We can accept that something is possible while not believing that it is actual, due to logic and evidence suggesting it is improbable.

there is more evidence to suggest that god exists than there is to suggest that god doesnt exist. therefore it is logical to assume that he does until other evidence suggest that there isnt.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
He posted in that thread. :D Why did you make so many different threads when you could have just made one called: "Tell me what you believe and I'll tell you why you're wrong"

sorry im still new to this site and am not too familar with everyone. also the other thread was genuniely started off as me seeing the logic behind atheism. hope there is no hard feelings. i just liked a bit of intellectual discussion thats all.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
:D Just try not to mislead people. There is a lot of logic behind atheism. I think you just don't want to agree with it.

Like I said in the other thread though, I don't like arguing in circles, so I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. I think it's clear we've both made up our minds.

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
:D Just try not to mislead people. There is a lot of logic behind atheism. I think you just don't want to agree with it. Like I said in the other thread though, I don't like arguing in circles, so I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. I think it's clear we've both made up our minds.

logic being that we cannot see it therefore it does not exist???
also: come on an intellectual discussion never hurt anyone.

:)

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
logic being that we cannot see it therefore it does not exist???
also: come on an intellectual discussion never hurt anyone.

:)

There is absolutely no proof at all that God exists. And there can never exist any proof that anything doesn't exist. So there's really nothing else to say.

The bible doesn't prove anything at all. Shakespear may not have existed. The only things I am sure exist or existed are the things I've seen. Does the moon exist? Maybe. I've never been there.

How did the universe come to be? Why are humans here? What happens after we die?

I don't know, and I'm not going to make stuff up just so I can have an answer. Making up a fake answer is no better than having no answer at all.

Elessar

Yes, G-d exists.

How am I going to prove it? I really can't. I believe it, and fervently, but there is truly no way to prove one way or the other.

I sometimes think of it this way...if you drew an entire world on a two-dimensional piece of paper, and then somehow brought them to "life", you would have full control of their lives. If you choose not to directly interfere, they will question if you exist. After all, from their own senses, they cannot perceive you. They don't see your face, they don't see your body, they don't see how you control their world with a pencil. Thus, they would doubt your existence. They would doubt the existence of a third dimension - all they see is length and width. They don't experience a third dimension. If you cut someone off the paper and pasted him back on elsewhere, from their perspective, they just magically disappeared from one place and appeared in another. If you erase half their town, they see it as a massive natural disaster.

I sometimes think of it the same way - G-d exists in such a way that he cannot be perceived directly by our lesser forms, as it is simply not possible for us to think on that level. Our senses cannot operate on his level, basically. Our spirits may or may not be able to, but I'm not going to get into that as that's a completely different theological argument.

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
There is absolutely no proof at all that God exists. And there can never exist any proof that anything doesn't exist. So there's really nothing else to say.

there is no way to prove him either way. but there is evidence to suggest that He does so why rule out the existance of God.

The bible doesn't prove anything at all. Shakespear may not have existed. The only things I am sure exist or existed are the things I've seen. Does the moon exist? Maybe. I've never been there.

so basically you wont accept anything or even consider that it exists until you can experience it for yourself. that isnt very logical. in fact that brings you further away from absolute truth.

How did the universe come to be? Why are humans here? What happens after we die?

I don't know, and I'm not going to make stuff up just so I can have an answer. Making up a fake answer is no better than having no answer at all.

so your agnostic now considering that you admited in "not knowing" as opposed to "knowing purpose doesnt exist". well i guess thats one step closer.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
there is no way to prove him either way. but there is evidence to suggest that He does so why rule out the existance of God.

so basically you wont accept anything or even consider that it exists until you can experience it for yourself. that isnt very logical. in fact that brings you further away from absolute truth.

so your agnostic now considering that you admited in "not knowing" as opposed to "knowing purpose doesnt exist". well i guess thats one step closer.

I'm not agnostic. I don't know how the universe was created, but I know it wasn't by some invisible man in the sky.

I'm done talking to you, because just like I said, we are talking in circles, and I don't want to end up saying something mean to you that might be offensive to others of your faith.

So you can go ahead and respond to this, and tell everyone the same things over and over again, but your "proof" doesn't prove anything, because what you're trying to prove doesn't exist. Anyhow, I will not be responding to any comments directed at me, because I'm done with this thread, as well as the few other ones nearly identical to it.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
One other thing: There is no purpose. I know that. What I don't know is how life started. God didn't do it though, because god is a story made up to control people.

Now I'm done. Not responding to anything else in this thread.

kai

ragamuffin

i am sure the world is waiting for this evidence as well as Father Heathen and I

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
One other thing: There is no purpose. I know that. What I don't know is how life started. God didn't do it though, because god is a story made up to control people.

Now I'm done. Not responding to anything else in this thread.

how can you be 100% sure that god and purpose doesnt exist.

i am sure the world is waiting for this evidence as well father Heathen and I
Yes. And?
Oh, is there? Well then, I'm all ears.

like i said bible in particular the gospels are considered as historical evidence. where evidence is defined as something which you can draw a conclusion from.

kai

ragamuffin
like i said bible in particular the gospels are considered as historical evidence. where evidence is defined as something which you can draw a conclusion from.

well nothing new there then ? i thought for one minute you might surprise me with something other than your belief (which by the way is your right to beleive) but alas no ,

melanieeeee.

procrastinator
well nothing new there then ? i thought for one minute you might surprise me with something other than your belief (which by the way is your right to beleive) but alas no ,

i dont see why you have dismissed the gospels as historical evidence.
and obviously it suggest that we christians arent christians for no reason.

Last edited: