• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone know anything about Salvation of the Soul?

waacman

Restoration of everything
I was just wondering what other people think of the whole idea of "Salvation of the Soul" as refered to in James 1:21 "Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility recieve the word implanted, which is able to save your souls." NASB
-Isaac

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
John 3:16 is probably a better verse (IMO) pertaining to salvation.

But truthfully, without the WORD...without receiving the WORD of God...it would be pretty hard to know and accept God's plan for your salvation (Jesus Christ).

waacman

Restoration of everything
The whole reason I ask is that I'm reading a book by Arlen L. Chitwood in which he refers that Christians can lose their souls according to James 1:21. After reading it I realized that he might be right. Look who James is addressing in the passages before, he's addresssing fellow Christians! So how then can a Christian lose their soul? I've come to the conclusion that your "soul" isn't what normally we Christians think of (that its our spirit). Your "soul" is they way in which we live our lives before God. let me know what you think! Oh and I was reading your posts (dawny) on tongues and stuff, very interesting what people think, but I thought most of them were either wrong or off in their understanding of it.

The whole reason I ask is that I'm reading a book by Arlen L. Chitwood in which he refers that Christians can lose their souls according to James 1:21. After reading it I realized that he might be right. Look who James is addressing in the passages before, he's addresssing fellow Christians! So how then can a Christian lose their soul? I've come to the conclusion that your "soul" isn't what normally we Christians think of (that its our spirit). Your "soul" is they way in which we live our lives before God. let me know what you think! Oh and I was reading your posts (dawny) on tongues and stuff, very interesting what people think, but I thought most of them were either wrong or off in their understanding of it.

That is an interesting concept. How is the book? There is a sense in which every time we sin we die a little. May be what Paul was refering to in Rom 8 when he said, " 13for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die (or, "are about to die"); but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live."
And in Rom 6 he says "16Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? "

By the way, I am a big fan of Frances Schaeffer. I coresponded with him one time.

God Bless

ukMethodist

Hello :)

Just a question for tonight, do you come from any specific theological background? (Calvinism or other?)

_Christian_

I was just wondering what other people think of the whole idea of "Salvation of the Soul" as refered to in James 1:21 "Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility recieve the word implanted, which is able to save your souls." NASB
-Isaac

The soul in the context of James 1:21 is that part of mankind which will never die. A person's soul has one of two destinations in the hereafter; heaven or hell. There are no other options.

The Bible teaches that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23; 5:12). The only exception to this is infants and children who have not reached a point of maturity where they are accountable to God.

The bible gives one punishment for all sin and that is death (Romans 6:23). Death in this case means eternal damnation in Hell. Man sins and the penalty is death. There are no exceptions. God who is righteous and absolutely just and fair demands this penalty for sin. He wanted to give man a second chance so he provided a means by which man can be forgiven. Since we owed our lives for our sin, the only way out of this was for someone else to pay this death penalty for us.

Jesus Christ left heaven, came to earth, lived as a man and died in our place for our sins. He paid the death penalty we owe for the sins we committed. God played a definite role in man's salvation and man has a role to play as well.

Man did not deserve this second chance, cannot merit it and cannot pay for or earn it under any circumstances. God simply offered this from his great capacity for love, mercy and concern for mankind. This is known as God's grace. Grace is defined as a beneficiary disposition towards someone which is neither deserved or merited in any way. God's grace was God reaching down to fallen man and offering Him a hope and way of salvation from the death penalty owed.

Man's role to play in this is faith. Faith is fallen man reaching up towards God in hope. It is vitally important to realize that Faith is a verb and it does not in any way shape or form mean faith alone. In fact, James 2 flat out states in words which are impossible to misunderstand that salvation is not not by faith alone (James 2:24). Faith is understood in the Bible as a comprehensive term meaning that which man does in response to God's gracious offer of salvation.

Jesus Christ Himself said in Matthew 7:21, Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

A response by man to God's gracious offer is required in order to receive salvation. This response is summed up nicely in Hebrews 5:9 which speaks concerning Jesus, "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

Obedience to the will of God by faith in Jesus Christ is how we are saved. It is important to keep in mind that our works will not save us apart from our faith any more than faith will save us apart from works. It takes both. This is no way militates against salvation being by Grace. Our salvation cost God the life of His only begotten Son. Our works will never repay that debt nor will they ever in any way be sufficient to save us. In the end, no matter what we may do on this earth in obedience to the will of God, we will not have re-payed that which was sacrificed on our behalf. In the end, it will not be our works that bridges the gap between us and heaven, it will be God's grace.

I appreciated your question. I hope my reply served to answer your question and I hope you will seek more of God's truth through study of His word.

Thank you

mugwump1959

Dear Waacman: You are well-guided in your search for the truth of the doctrine Salvation of the Soul. This docltrine is almost totally ignored in today's Laodicean Church, even though it is absolutely vital that every Christian understand it. The reason for this ignorance is found in Matthew 13:33 where Jesus prophesied that at the time of the end, the whole church would be totally leavened with false doctrine. Arlen Chitwood's book is good. You may also want to refer to my book at salvationofthesoul.org. My book is fairly long and exhaustive on this subject, and is free for download on this site. May God bless your search for the truth.

Last edited:

olegig

IMHO those who have developed the salvation of the soul theology have done so in an attempt to have a place to put the many passages in the NT that do teach salvation can be lost.

Being a Christian who follows Pauline doctrines for the Body, I too for a long time struggled with the same passages for I firmly believe in once saved always saved for members of the Church, the Body of Christ.
The passages to which I refer are found mainly in Matthew (endure to the end), Hebrews (cannot be renewed), and James (faith without works is dead).

It has been said the book of Daniel opens The Revelation and The Revelation opens Matthew, Hebrews, and James.
We find in Revelations that those left on earth after the Rapture of the Church must do works to survive the 70th week of Daniel, the Tribulation.
The books of Matthew, Hebrews, and James are written to the Jews with doctrinal teachings to show the Jews how and what to do to survive the Tribulation.

James was written by the apostle James, not James the half-brother of Jesus. James the apostle was killed at Acts 12, a few years before Paul revealed any Christian doctrine to the Gentiles.
James was writing to prepare his brethren for the coming Tribulation and as yet knew nothing of the parenthetical Church Age.

IMHO the most eye opening truth in aid of Biblical discernment is to realize that the method of salvation for all but the Body of Christ does involve faith plus works.