• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does anyone know about paul's 3rd

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
His third letter, or the one that is claimed to be his third letter, is agreed by scholars not to have been written by Paul, but instead someone using his name. One of the reasons this is known is because it is of a later date. It also does not agree with the authentic letters of Paul.

Rocky S

Christian Goth
letter to corinthians? and why it wasn't included in the NT?
I agree with fallingblood and have read the pseudepigraphical book it is a refuting of gnosticism and defending the resurrection. Doctrinally it is not that off, for it testifies about the death burial and resurrection of Jesus, and the virgin birth. However it does not flow like paul's writings its like reading someone else's. So I can see why it was reject. But the theology of it, and doctrinally I don't have a problem with it. But it is so different then the way Paul wrote, I do not see his personality in it. I do know this "it was in the Armenian Orthodox Church's canon for a while, and it is an interesting piece of ancient literature!"

waitasec

Veteran Member
thanks again fallingblood.
hey, have you read "the lost gospels" from ehrman?
i haven't...would you recommend it?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Why? Because you agree with his attempts to cause doubt in the truths of the Bible?

Not at all as that is not what I attempt to do. Bart Ehrman is a recognized authority in his field and he writes books that are very accessible. And in many aspects, he says what many other scholars agree with.

sincerly

Originally Posted by sincerly
Why? Because you agree with his attempts to cause doubt in the truths of the Bible?

Not at all as that is not what I attempt to do. Bart Ehrman is a recognized authority in his field and he writes books that are very accessible. And in many aspects, he says what many other scholars agree with.

Is that the reason Erhman decided on "agnosticism"? How is your answer different from that of "agreeing" with him?
Yes, Those "early church fathers" did use scripture to produce "traditions and decrees made by men", which are contrary to the Scriptures( which are still valid).

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member

Is that the reason Erhman decided on "agnosticism"? How is your answer different from that of "agreeing" with him?
Yes, Those "early church fathers" did use scripture to produce "traditions and decrees made by men", which are contrary to the Scriptures( which are still valid).

the truths of the bible are merely claims

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

I'm not even sure what you are saying here as it really just seems like an attempt to attack me instead of actually what is addressed in the thread. If that is all you have, please leave me out of it.

sincerly

I'm not even sure what you are saying here as it really just seems like an attempt to attack me instead of actually what is addressed in the thread. If that is all you have, please leave me out of it.

There is no attack to you. But trying to understand your posted reasoning.