• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here follow Sai Baba?

Jyothi

i do - if both of us are going in the same direction and he is ahead of me.

no i am not joking - think about it

there are two sai baba's, one is still alive - which one are you talking about??

Arkangel

I am Darth Vader
I do like the one that is dead, he was a real messenger of peace and love. I would have followed him but not the one alive. But he is not wrong in declaring himself as God. According to Vedanta all of use are subsets of god in varying degree. When Jesus said 'I am son of God, he was not lying' but what most in the west fail to understand is that all are sons of God. All are his creation but some are higher in there degree of being a son and some are still getting there.

This is a part of my belief, my religion of something.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Arkangel said:
I do like the one that is dead, he was a real messenger of peace and love. I would have followed him but not the one alive. But he is not wrong in declaring himself as God. According to Vedanta all of use are subsets of god in varying degree. When Jesus said 'I am son of God, he was not lying' but what most in the west fail to understand is that all are sons of God. All are his creation but some are higher in there degree of being a son and some are still getting there.

This is a part of my belief, my religion of something.

Well, Sai Baba's lack of clarification is dangerous. We are God only in the sense that we are part and parcel of God. We are never equal to God. The problem is that Sai Baba is an impersonalist. He can be defeated by the text of the Bhagavad-Gita, which he supposedly accepts as authoritive. Sai Baba teaches that jnani yoga is the highest form of yoga, but Krishna explains to Arjuna in Bhagavad-Gita that bhakti yoga is the highest. So immediately just on this point Sai Baba is defeated. There are various other points that he contradicts as well. I will be writing an article on this soon. I just wanted to see if anyone here can add better arguments. I have been discussing Sai Baba with some of his followers on other websites and none of them have any answers for me regarding these obvious contradictions. Instead, they make an appeal to sentiment. Another thing that is really sad is how people accept him as an avatar. Why? Because he performs some mystical feats? Even if these things he does are legit, that doesn't make him an incarnation of God. Even Sai Baba translated Bhagavad-Gita 4.6, the words "atma mayaya" as "by My internal energy". This is where Krishna describes the nature of His appearance. He explains that He manifests by His internal potency instead of accepting a material body like conditioned souls, yet Sai Baba reasons that Krishna's body is also material illusion. So apparently, Sai Baba contradicts himself. Whether he is really performing those "miracles"; whether he is or isn't guilty of the molestation allegations; the devastating point is that he contradicts the authority he superficially accepts.

Paul Maxwell

Sai Baba is not very credible imho. I would also state that ANY person who claims to be the totality of what "God" is, is pulling your leg. It is my suspicion that even the various avatars that have visited this small world would be very wary of making such a claim. They do know better. As usual, I couldn't care less what "the books" have to say on the matter.

That being said, there is a state of consciousness that can be described as the "I am God" state. It is tied to the state often described as "Oneness". The thing is, this is a primary state of consciousness. Those who are at this elementary stage will believe that THEY ARE GOD. It is their direct experience. However, that state is merely the tip of the iceberg. The real fun begins when one goes beyond such limited thinking and experience. As I say, this is merely the first stages of a journey that has no end. Even concepts of some supposed "perfection" begin to evaporate in light of reality.

If this seems impossibly rich for some of you, all I can say is you have some remarkable times ahead of you. Fasten your seat belts and try... TRY not to get "hung up" on your perceptions about what you experience. Those perceptions will only hold you back in the long run.

YmirGF (on holidays in LotusLand)

Paraprakrti said:
I will be writing an article on this soon. I just wanted to see if anyone here can add better arguments.

I will await your comments with great interest. Any ETA?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Paul Maxwell said:
As usual, I couldn't care less what "the books" have to say on the matter.

Well, whether you care or not, the point is that Sai Baba contradicts himself by superficially accepting the authority of Scripture but then teaching something that is contrary to it.

Paul Maxwell said:
I will await your comments with great interest. Any ETA?

ETA? Sorry, I don't know what this means.

Paul Maxwell

Paraprakrti said:
Well, whether you care or not, the point is that Sai Baba contradicts himself by superficially accepting the authority of Scripture but then teaching something that is contrary to it.
My only point for saying so is that so many would have you believe in their supposed "authority"... both in and not in print and yet cannot possibly substantiate their claims. It is quite amusing really and "they" will talk with such authority and dire seriousness. Hilarious. (It certainly keeps me laughing... no matter how seriously such folks take themselves. The more serious they are with their claims... the funnier they make themselves.)

Aside from this, I DO agree when they support a given text and then dare to rewrite it in their own light. How self serving, not to mention, incredibly convenient.

Paraprakrti said:
ETA? Sorry, I don't know what this means.

ETA = Estimated time of arrival.

Jyothi

In Hinduism, one could say just about anything, about any philosophy

so if Sai Baba says he is god, well so be it.

it is from a western perspective that some might find it annoying or dangerous, for a hindu (again a western classification) it does not matter.

cheers

Jyothi

supernatured said:
"In Hinduism, one could say just about anything, about any philosophy"

According to what?

i dont understand this question too.

by what i wrote before, i meant that the so called religion of hinduism, does not mind if one questions the fundamental belief systems, if there was one. IMHO, the question According to what is irrelevant, as this philosophy or way of life is not bound by any rules, you could find in any one scripture, so according to the powers vested on me by the divine being, could be the right answer.

else please do clarify the question

cheers
Jyothi

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Moses the God Archetype* said:
:flower2: WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT STATEMENT?:tsk: ........and are you hindu like myself cut from brahmin stock.:eek:m:

I didn't make the statement. Jyothi did. I asked the question.

What do you mean, "cut from brahmin stock"? Is this a matter of being brahmin by birth or by qualification?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Jyothi said:
i dont understand this question too.

by what i wrote before, i meant that the so called religion of hinduism, does not mind if one questions the fundamental belief systems, if there was one. IMHO, the question According to what is irrelevant, as this philosophy or way of life is not bound by any rules, you could find in any one scripture, so according to the powers vested on me by the divine being, could be the right answer.

else please do clarify the question

cheers
Jyothi

Hinduism encourages questions to help one understand, but this does not mean that anyone can say anything and it will automatically qualify as a tenet of the Hindu religion. Then again, given that "Hindu" is a more recently created term, you may be right. But as far as Vedic religion goes, there are actual teachings that, if rejected, would constitute that person as not adhering to that religion. Sai Baba superficially accepts Vedic texts as authoritive, but then he writes commentaries on them that directly contradict what the text is saying. Due to his expert use of flowery words and (suspect) ability to materialize objects, people accept his authority without considering that he is contradicting both the Vedas and himself.

Paraprakrti said:
I didn't make the statement. Jyothi did. I asked the question.

What do you mean, "cut from brahmin stock"? Is this a matter of being brahmin by birth or by qualification?
:flower2: Hahahahahahahaha(ecstatic laughter), i mean by birth as well as qualification beloved being of brahmin stock means more than just birth right, but of the knowlegde you contain and how you use it to serve sri-krsna and his purposes on this mundane plain within material nature.:eek:m:

Matt said:
The Australian Media exposed Sai Baba as a pedeophile,what are your thoughts on this?
:flower2: It only confirms that when you create yourself as a fraud which he has done you will be exposed.....KRSNA does not like ugly acts with the intent to cause delusion, which is why he has the laws of dharma in place to keep people like him in check.:eek:m:

Paraprakrti

Custom User
:flower2: Hahahahahahahaha(ecstatic laughter), i mean by birth as well as qualification beloved being of brahmin stock means more than just birth right, but of the knowlegde you contain and how you use it to serve sri-krsna and his purposes on this mundane plain within material nature.:eek:m:

Anyway...

What is your discrepancy exactly? I argued against the idea that, "In Hinduism, one could say just about anything, about any philosophy". Are you telling me that you agree with this statement?

I got the impression, being the brahmin that you are, that you confused my quoting Jyothi's statement with the idea that I was accepting it as valid. I wasn't accepting it, which is why I asked, "according to what?"

I want to know what sloka states that, "one can say just about anything, about any philosophy" and it will be a valid tenet of the Vedic or "Hindu" religion.

I see you are from the Gaudiya Sampradaya. Are you associated with the Gaudiya Math, or are you an ISKCON devotee... or perhaps something else?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
:flower2: It only confirms that when you create yourself as a fraud which he has done you will be exposed.....KRSNA does not like ugly acts with the intent to cause delusion, which is why he has the laws of dharma in place to keep people like him in check.:eek:m:

Yes.

What is jaw-dropping though is that many of his devout followers will remain devoted regardless if he did commit these acts. I heard one man say it in an interview.

Anyway, I don't argue against Sai Baba so much on the pedophile charges or whether or not he is actually performing these mystic feats. I do not have anything conclusive regarding those things. Therefore I argue on the basis of Sastra. It can actually be shown that Sai Baba contradicts Krsna, as well as himself. Pedophile or not, mystic yogi or not, we know he is not authorized, what to speak of Him being God?? Otherwise we have to believe that God superficially accepts texts like the Bhagavad-Gita, only to turn around and reject their having any authority.