• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does 0.9999999... = 1?

Does 0.9 recurring equal 1?

• Yes

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 62.7%

• Total voters

SoyLeche

meh...
jmoum said:
Oooh, that's another nice counter point.

But I wonder, could the complications we're coming accross be because the English Language is ill equiped to properly explain this mathematical concept?
Probably.

I've tried coming up with another way to describe infinity other than "a really big number that keeps getting bigger" - and I'm comming up short, even though I know that that definition is not actually what infinity is. The best I can do is "infinity is infinity" - which is not very satisfactory.

SoyLeche

meh...
jmoum said:
Oooh, that's another nice counter point.
I've got to pat my own back here. I'm very proud of that insight. Even if I don't get my reserves modeled today I'll feel like I accomplished something. (In case you are wondering, I've had a small breakthrough on the reserves as well. It's been a good morning :))