• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think we need a 'value North Star'?

coberst

Do you think we need a ‘value North Star’?

It appears to me that we sapiens need a ‘value North Star’ upon which to fix our voyage. We need a reference point upon which we can focus our attention when trying to determine what of value we can and should do in life.

Religion, or God, serves as the ‘value North Star’ for some people; for others it is nationalism; for others, that fix is to own as much good stuff as possible; to others it is power; for some it is family; and I guess there are many other such ultimate values.

I have tried to examine my inner voices to determine just what my value North Star is and does it need to be changed. I have determined that, by some turn of events, perhaps completely willy-nilly, my value North Star is life on this planet. My guidance for fixing value is ultimately dependent upon its aiding or hindering life on this planet.

I often speculate that human life is a hindrance to maximizing the ‘good life’, of all life, on this planet. I often speculate that if all life on this planet were given a vote in this matter that they would throw sapiens overboard.

What do you think?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
For "value North Star" I suggest you substitute "Absolute fram of reference" - a standard that is universally acceptable to all - which (in some ways) is far easier to define in Religion that it is in secular society, because religion covers so much more "ground".

coberst

michel said:
For "value North Star" I suggest you substitute "Absolute fram of reference" - a standard that is universally acceptable to all - which (in some ways) is far easier to define in Religion that it is in secular society, because religion covers so much more "ground".

I fail to comprehend.

A

angellous_evangellous

coberst said:
my value North Star is life on this planet. My guidance for fixing value is ultimately dependent upon its aiding or hindering life on this planet.

It's good that you have a clear, specific goal in mind. :rolleyes:

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
coberst said:
Do you think we need a ‘value North Star’?

Yes, since we need a standard of value by which to evaluate and prioritize our system of values. Anything else yields conflictedness, and ultimately ambivalence.

I often speculate that human life is a hindrance to maximizing the ‘good life’, of all life, on this planet. I often speculate that if all life on this planet were given a vote in this matter that they would throw sapiens overboard.

And why should we care about this?

eudaimonia,

Mark

coberst

eudaimonia said:
[/size][/font]

Yes, since we need a standard of value by which to evaluate and prioritize our system of values. Anything else yields conflictedness, and ultimately ambivalence.

And why should we care about this?

eudaimonia,

Mark

My value North Star tells me we should but most people do not have my same value system. We have a marvelous aptitude for science and a lousey aptitude for moral decisions thus we go around killing one another constantly.