• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you remember when...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Normal? Only for certain people - not blacks especially in the Jim Crow South, not for women who were expected to stay home,, have children, cook meals and obey their husbands and not for members of other religions who faced discrimination as my parents and I did for being Jewish. And especially not for children being abused by priests.

The stability of the 1950's and early 1960's was built on sand and deserves to die. We can choose to help something new take it's place or choose not to help.
No. Even then, people were more stable. Including blacks and minorities albiet within their own race in spite of segregationist era of the time.

I'm talking about the stability of families themselves and cooking and nurturing of children was not a grievous chore and curse as you make it out to be.

Many stay at home moms were proud and not ashamed to be full time mothers and householders and quite proud of their children.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I had no idea about this because I stopped watching television over a decade ago.

For those of you who have never seen good commercials on American television, search for '90s commercials' or '80s commercials' on YouTube.

Try 50s , 60s and 70s. People had a lot of fun in those days.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm talking about the stability of families themselves and cooking and nurturing of children was not a grievous chore and curse as you make it out to be.

That's not what you wrote. Rather you wrote a generality. And if you read carefully what I wrote, I said nothing about it being a "Grievous chore and curse". And I know that the socially mandated stability (lack of divorce) directly meant that children might suffer terribly at the hands of an abusive parent where no one had a choice about how to deal with that pain and suffering.

Rather than socially mandated gender discrimination and lack of choice, I believe in strong families that are formed with love and with free choice about how various parts of running such a family are to be divided up.

My wife and I have been married over 50 years. She's continued to work after I retired and I do various household chores such as the laundry. I hope you're not going to tell me that we should (must) not organize our marriage that way.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Normal? Only for certain people - not blacks especially in the Jim Crow South, not for women who were expected to stay home,, have children, cook meals and obey their husbands and not for members of other religions who faced discrimination as my parents and I did for being Jewish. And especially not for children being abused by priests.

The stability of the 1950's and early 1960's was built on sand and deserves to die. We can choose to help something new take it's place or choose not to help.

I think some people look back on that era with a certain level of nostalgia and sentiment, not really looking at the larger picture and tending to gloss over the bad parts (such as racism, Jim Crow, etc.). But at the same time, people all across society were giving serious attention to those issues. It wasn't Leave it to Beaver, but it wasn't a complete horror show either.

If there's any TV show which encapsulates that era, it's probably the Twilight Zone.

Viker

Häxan
Do your remember when TV commercials were about things like food?
For example..
frosted flakes, they're great
rice krispies snap, crackle & pop
craft cheese, its the cheesiest.
Now days all we see are commercials for...
Insurance, you need more coverage
injury lawyers lets sue
medicine lawyers lets sue
donate to this/that for $19.00 a month etc.
Everything has changed in the last 25 years, most just didn't notice.
We probably need all those lawyer and medical commercials because of all the junk food commercials that gave us poor dietary choices.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Yes. I also remember when there would be a commercial at the beginning of a program, one in the middle and at the end, now it seems like every 5 or so minutes there's a commercial break.
Five? Pfft, News@10 is as much commercials as content, if you include how they ad themselves.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

If there's any TV show which encapsulates that era, it's probably the Twilight Zone.

Lots of ground-breaking too tho. Star Trek, Bewitched, Addams Family. Miss those days.

What's on now I only notice as the wife's asleep on the couch.
'Reality' TV, contests. Garbage that has no actual writers.
Douchebags instead of Johnny. I don't watch.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Lots of ground-breaking too tho. Star Trek, Bewitched, Addams Family. Miss those days.

What's on now I only notice as the wife's asleep on the couch.
'Reality' TV, contests. Garbage that has no actual writers.
Douchebags instead of Johnny. I don't watch.
When I sit on my back porch, I have a TV with antenna television only. I often watch the classics. Johnny included. Unfortunately, there's a ton of contemporary ads to suffer through.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Texting on touch phones is a pain too, atleast for me.
I often end up hitting the wrong key. Then there's the horror of auto-correct. :D

I miss the dumb-phone days. :(

I still have one. :)
download (33).jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We probably need all those lawyer and medical commercials because of all the junk food commercials that gave us poor dietary choices.

As to poor dietary choices, the commercials back in those days to meet that need were the ones for laxatives, Pepto Bismol, "plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is."

Viker

Häxan
As to poor dietary choices, the commercials back in those days to meet that need were the ones for laxatives, Pepto Bismol, "plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is."
That's before attorneys became the new priesthood. When we laughed at them and persecuted them. And we were just a little tough in those years of old. Walking 20 miles through 8 feet of snow to get to 7/11.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's before attorneys became the new priesthood. When we laughed at them and persecuted them. And we were just a little tough in those years of old. Walking 20 miles through 8 feet of snow to get to 7/11.

I seem to recall that lawyers weren't allowed to advertise on TV until a certain point, but I don't remember the exact year. I haven't seen any lawyer ads which compare themselves to their competition. They don't have anything like blind taste tests for attorneys. I guess they would have to be cooked first, and they'd likely object to that.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yeah that’s true. It’s still nothing like the US. Like damn, that was like every second ad I saw watching tv there lol

I think the laws must have changed. I seem to remember that it was illegal for lawyers to advertise.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the laws must have changed. I seem to remember that it was illegal for lawyers to advertise.
:shrug:
In fairness it was moreso the companies of said lawyers that I saw in advertisements. If that makes any difference?