• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you prepare for major Disasters or Not?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I don't know if its just because of 2012, but science is uncovering a lot of ways we could be majorly effected and most of it we are overdue. Add to this the terrorism in the world and the real possiblilty of a terroist attack. Do we need to take this seriously or not.

The 1859 solar flare if it happened today would take out electricity for 149 million people's electricity for up to 4 months in the US alone.

An major dirty bomb explosion would close off the surrounding area for at least a month.

Yellowstone is over due for its next explosion which would cover 1/3 rd of the US in ash.

Plus much more just search the web.

We are told to have 3 months money supply as insurance against major problems. Could you survive 1 month without food and water or electricity. What if it happened in the winter could you survive without heat. What about your money if there was no electricity could you get it. Do you need a supply of money at home.

Did major disasters bring down major world powers in the past. It would seem third world countries are better prepared for major disasters than the rest of the world. So should we prepare for major disasters or go on not worrying because they happen so rarely?

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I don't think much about it, but my husband has told me that if anything ever happens around here, the kids and I are to drive out to my father-in-law's farm.

love

tri-polar optimist
Well, if you got a major disaster and it is lurking 9 miles off the coast and has already hit other areas with devastating effect preparation takes a back seat to action. Pull out all the stops and git it done. If oil is like black gold let BP pay for it for a change. Make them pay $25 dollars for every barrel that anyone brings in. Shrimpers and commercial fishermen are well equipped to do this and at the same time help save life in the Gulf. But anyone who ventures should be allowed, not just big corporations. The race would be on to see who could get the most.
Ingenuity would profit and prevail.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What are the odds of such things happening?

The odds are quite high but they will eventually happen. Some are over do and expected to happen in the next 60,000 years. Some simple preparation though would protect you. The cost does not have to be prohibited. Is it worth preparing or just keep dodging the bullet. Agreed its fired at random but it is fired.

Could it be that we get to comfortable with our technology and nature resets it for us.

Smoke

Done here.
What are the odds of such things happening?

What are the odds of a three-month money supply doing you much good if they did? That's why I keep gold bars stashed in a secret hiding place near my jet boat, and have diamonds and rubies sewn into my corset.

Smoke

Done here.
Well, if you got a major disaster and it is lurking 9 miles off the coast and has already hit other areas with devastating effect preparation takes a back seat to action. Pull out all the stops and git it done. If oil is like black gold let BP pay for it for a change. Make them pay $25 dollars for every barrel that anyone brings in. Shrimpers and commercial fishermen are well equipped to do this and at the same time help save life in the Gulf. But anyone who ventures should be allowed, not just big corporations. The race would be on to see who could get the most.
Ingenuity would profit and prevail.

I can't remember the last time I was as ****** off about anything as I am about BP's never-ending gusher in the Gulf. They need to pay every dime it takes to clean this **** up, plus reparations.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not usually. The biggest ones in my area would be wild fires- I have had at least 4 or 5 close calls here with those and a few more where I could smell the smoke but I was not really in any danger. I do pack a bag when the fires get too close for me and the kids, but we've been lucky so far in that regard. You can't really prepare for earthquakes.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think disaster preparedness is paramount, but not just for the big stuff, that may not happen. I'm more concerned about preparing for the smaller scale stuff that will happen, here, such as hurricanes, tornadoes and nor'easters.