• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you live by the Mormon Culture or Mormon Doctrine?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Today at lunch, my husband and I were talking about how we dislike living in Rexburg, because it seems like so many people are living by the Mormon culture and not the actual doctrine. What do you think about this? Thoughts, ideas, slams, whatever...:D

jonny

Today at lunch, my husband and I were talking about how we dislike living in Rexburg, because it seems like so many people are living by the Mormon culture and not the actual doctrine. What do you think about this? Thoughts, ideas, slams, whatever...:D

Hmm... I dunno. Give me an example of what you're talking about, and maybe I can answer better.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Hmm... I dunno. Give me an example of what you're talking about, and maybe I can answer better.

That caffeine is against the Word of Wisdom, all the Mormon Myths, etc. Instead of actually following what is doctrine. Does that make more sense?

jonny

Gotcha. I think I'm probably more of a "doctrine" than "culture" person. One of my roommates just about bit my head off when I remarked that the Mayans/Incas might not be decendants of the Lamanites just the other day. I didn't want to get into it with him, so I didn't say anything else.

Related to the story I just told, has anyone else seen Apocolypto? To me, it seemed like what the Book of Mormon would look like if it were made into a film.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Related to the story I just told, has anyone else seen Apocolypto? T

Haven't yet, but we plan too. Another thing is, that no matter what I say if it is in contrast with common culture thought I am wrong. No one here talks about religion, politics, etc., except if it's to support Mormon thought.

jonny

Haven't yet, but we plan too. Another thing is, that no matter what I say if it is in contrast with common culture thought I am wrong. No one here talks about religion, politics, etc., except if it's to support Mormon thought.

That's because you live in Rexburg. Provo is the same. :D

I've been in Washington for the past week. It's been so nice to be free for a week.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I've been in Washington for the past week. It's been so nice to be free for a week.

I'm insanely jealous! We cannot wait to be rid of this place. Seattle here we come! No honestly, next year we'll probably miss it (we are going to China for a year).

Dream Angel

That caffeine is against the Word of Wisdom, all the Mormon Myths, etc. Instead of actually following what is doctrine. Does that make more sense?

I read on another forum site that I linked to about a guy who was converting wanting to be "The perfect mormon" and how to pick up the girls? :confused: anyway one girl said... chocolate truffles is the way to me.... when one replied. "Chocolate has got caffeine in it! your not supposed to eat it!"

Aqualung

Tasty
That's because you live in Rexburg. Provo is the same. :D

It's a sign!! Move to Washington!!

As to the OP, I don't know what Mormon culture is, so I guess I'm living more by the doctrine than the culture.

FFH

Veteran Member
Yes

Tell me, have you ever been to BYU-Idaho ???

I remember when caffeinated beverages were not sold on church owned campasses (BYU Provo and Hawaii and LDS business college) or at the MTC and possibly still that's the case...

My wife actually worked in the BYU cafeteria for a year or two and she could verify this for sure...

Rumor or myth---was there a time, or is it still the case, that caffeinated beverages were, or are still not, sold on church owned college properties and if so why do you think they made the decision to not sell caffeine drinks ???

My sister went to BYU so I could ask her this question also...

I don't remember. for sure, if caffeinated drinks were not offered at the MTC, but it seems to me there weren't, and when we went next door to get our hair cut, which was on BYU campus property, there seemed to be only non-caffeinated drinks in the machines...I really thought nothing of it at the time, but why do you suppose the church did this or whoever made that decision ???.

Also, as Japanese missionaries we were told, by our mission president not to drink caffeinated beverages, especially around the members, because they lived the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law, and they (members) expected us to do the same and the mission president agreed and so we, as an example to the members, didn't drink caffeine on our missions...

Never really liked Coke that much anyway, but drink it now and again to clean out my system ;)

I figure it will kill anything in my system that shouldn't be there...;)

Bishka

Veteran Member
, but why do you suppose the church did this or whoever made that decision ???.

So they wouldn't get addicted because caffeine is very addictive, but it is not in the Word of Wisdom. It is a personal choice for so many Latter-day Saints and that's probably why they did.

Let me ask you, if someone chooses to drink caffeine are they unworthy to go to the temple?

FFH

Veteran Member
BeckaSoup said:
I attend school there
So it's true then, that they still don't sell caffeinated drinks there at all ???...;)
Beck said:
So they wouldn't get addicted because caffeine is very addictive, but it is not in the Word of Wisdom. It is a personal choice for so many Latter-day Saints and that's probably why they did.
Hmmm it does seem odd to me that they would do this, but really never thought about it until now...but this should send a strong message to us that this is something we would be better off without...

Beck said:
Let me ask you, if someone chooses to drink caffeine are they unworthy to go to the temple?
Of course we all know the answer to this and of course it's not specifically in the Word of Wisdom and no we're not specifically asked if we drink Coke or not, in a temple recommend interview, but it's a good rule to follow...

Avoid drinking caffeinated drinks as much as possible...

It has messed up my dad, his gall bladder is all but gone and it (Coke) has taken a heavy toll on his health as has it done the same with my mother, who used to drink diet Coke, but has since stopped many years ago...

It's more like a thing where it's better if you don't but no ones gonna stop you if you do...

Bishka

Veteran Member
So it's true then, that they still don't sell caffeinated drinks there at all ???...

It has messed up my dad, his gall bladder is all but gone and it (Coke) has taken a heavy toll on his health as has it done the same with my mother, who used to drink diet Coke, but has since stopped many years ago...

It's more like a thing where it's better if you don't but no ones gonna stop you if you do...

It does not mess up anyone and I am curious where this all came from. Which general authority stated that it was bad to drink caffeinated drinks?

FFH

Veteran Member
Which general authority stated that it was bad to drink caffeinated drinks?
It's not a moral thing, but a personal health thing, so it's definitely not gong to be discussed in a conference or church setting, but just as a matter of "hey, this may not be so healthy for you".

It's just a known fact that it messes you up...

Puts too much stress on the heart, ulcers, gall stones, destroys the gall bladder, hardens the arteries, etc. etc. etc...

Just for your own personal well being and health you should look into the ill affects of caffeine in general...

But it's really not the caffeine so much as it's the MALIC ACID they add into the mix for some reason..you know, it's the stuff that takes corrosion off of battery cables (try it when your battery won't turn your car over it works wonders) the MALIC ACID can also eat a hole through a paper cup in a few hours...

Do we really want this stuff eating away at our bodies ???

A little is okay, but too much and it messes things up...

Edit: Saccharine and other artificial sweeteners also eat away at brain cells.