• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you find the term "New Age" offensive?

No, were always in a new age, we cannot avoid it, its just those who are stuck in their beliefs that are afraid of the so called new age.

interesting perspective and true. just hate how people sometimes dismiss certain information, dude to it being categorize as "new age"

Being

Being
I don't find it to be offensive, but I agree, it definitely is outdated. I think it's time we finally upgrade to Age. ;)

I have seen that some people are using terms such as "Now Age." I also agree that the term "New Age" originally referred to a spiritual movement that began several decades ago. However, because a central tenet -- if not the central tenet -- of New Age is transcendence, then the term "New Age" continually transcends, and it incorporates and means whatever is current. So it's really an umbrella mega-belief system or mega-movement that welcomes and allows for all positive beliefs of spirituality and human consciousness, with the view toward progress, expansion, growth, transcendence. I'm not offended at all by the term "New Age," mainly because I understand its original and general meaning, intention, and purpose. Like any terminology, it gets misused, misrepresented, and ridiculed. But as with anything, especially spirituality, people need to use their discernment. ~ Peace, Being

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just looking for people who identify with many "New Age" beliefs whether or not they feel the term "New Age" is offensive. Do you find it offensive? Why or why not?

I personally feel its offensive. It is setting up the implication that traditional faiths are more valid than non-traditional or modern. I know, for me, ancestral veneration is practiced in almost every culture and incorporated in almost every traditional and cultural belief before religions such as Christianity started branching off.

It's a belittling word somewhat like pagan... but I rather use pagan even though that also means someone who believes in multiple deities and I believe in none.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Lol what are the new age people going to call themselves when the new age isn't Aquarius? xD
Yes lol, right from the time of Moses which was the year of the Bull, and then Jesus which was the year of Pisces, the fish, and the next to be Aquarius, and on and on.

Angel1

Angel
"Political upheavals, social conflicts, environmental concerns, scientific discoveries, religious movements and the Internet are all part of the New Age Movement."

It is largely unknown, still, or misunderstood. But it is a repeating phenomenon every 2100 years -- a period of upgrading divine instruction for all of us here on Earth.

No. Not offensive