• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you find peace in your beliefs?

Deidre

I'd say most humans yearn for peace...peace within one's self, one's life, with others. When I was an atheist, it's not that I lacked a sense of peace in my life, but *something* seemed to be missing. I couldn't ever put my finger on it really, and so I searched for meaning in other faiths and belief systems. Coming back to Christianity, I've had a sense of peace over these past few months that had been missing. To me, you have found the 'right' path for want of a better word, if you are at peace in your life. If you are truly content with who you are, and how you are living...then you have found a path that works for you.

So, do you find peace in your beliefs? Atheists are always welcome to answer, for even though you may not hold spiritual or religious beliefs, you believe something. Look forward to your responses. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd say most humans yearn for peace...peace within one's self, one's life, with others. When I was an atheist, it's not that I lacked a sense of peace in my life, but *something* seemed to be missing. I couldn't ever put my finger on it really, and so I searched for meaning in other faiths and belief systems. Coming back to Christianity, I've had a sense of peace over these past few months that had been missing. To me, you have found the 'right' path for want of a better word, if you are at peace in your life. If you are truly content with who you are, and how you are living...then you have found a path that works for you.

So, do you find peace in your beliefs? Atheists are always welcome to answer, for even though you may not hold spiritual or religious beliefs, you believe something. Look forward to your responses. :)

To tell you honestly, out of the three religions and spiritual practices I gone through--witchcraft first, christianity, and buddhism, I find more peace in witchcraft (well, thats not a good word for it.The practice of revering the earth and communing with family) than christianity ever would have given me. Buddhism helps with the mind and learning compassion etc by focusing on the mind; and, I feel without family, even if its just spiritual family, there is something missing.

I find knowledge in Buddhism to help me in everyday life. I find myself in my ancestors and spirits that help with my spirit. Im still in a depressed state but when I pray to the spirits it always makes me all the better.

Good thread.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

Well the sad truth is that many people cannot find stable morality by themselves, have religious structure drilled into them from a young age, and/or have a genetic dissipation to be religious and all of these and more can cause that feeling.

However may I ask you what you can find in religion that you cannot find without?

Buttercup

Veteran Member

We're pretty much at polar opposites as far as attaining a general sense of peace with religion. I rarely had feelings of knowing my place in the world accompanied by peace while I was a Christian. I always felt like I had so much work to do on myself to be pleasing to God. Even though Christ accepts us as we are, the sermons I heard time and time again usually talked about our sinful nature. It's hard to feel at peace when you're being told all the time how corrupt your soul is. Once I left that all behind, things changed dramatically for me in finding peace of mind. It took a couple of years but it was so worth it to leave Christianity. I still pray though. I can't break that habit for some reason and although I'm not sure who or what I'm praying to, it's comforting. Crazy, I know.

Deidre

Well the sad truth is that many people cannot find stable morality by themselves, have religious structure drilled into them from a young age, and/or have a genetic dissipation to be religious and all of these and more can cause that feeling.
Before I left Christianity, I thought a lot like this 'about' religion. That it was stifling, confining, and really just a bunch of moral rules and codes, and it didn't interest me any longer. I left it for a while. And my faith was very much built from being indoctrinated into it, as a kid. But, that's not how it is now. That's all I can say.

However may I ask you what you can find in religion that you cannot find without?
A relationship with Christ, and it really is better than I'd have envisioned. (But, you don't need to follow a religion to have a relationship with Christ)

Deidre

We're pretty much at polar opposites as far as attaining a general sense of peace with religion. I rarely had feelings of knowing my place in the world accompanied by peace while I was a Christian. I always felt like I had so much work to do on myself to be pleasing to God. Even though Christ accepts us as we are, the sermons I heard time and time again usually talked about our sinful nature. It's hard to feel at peace when you're being told all the time how corrupt your soul is. Once I left that all behind, things changed dramatically for me in finding peace of mind. It took a couple of years but it was so worth it to leave Christianity. I still pray though. I can't break that habit for some reason and although I'm not sure who or what I'm praying to, it's comforting. Crazy, I know.

lol Noooo, not crazy at all. It's a good thing, to pray. :) To meditate. It is interesting, how people's paths are different...and yet the same. We all still want peace.

Christianity, the religion itself, can be off putting...there are so many different interpretations/denominations, that it crowds out the purest message of hope and love that really is what the faith should be about. The OT's harsh backdrop for how the stories unfold in the Bible, doesn't help. lol But, it was a different time, I guess.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wanted to answer this too. You can find everything in religion that you can find without. The challenge with that statement is separating religion from life. There is no with or without religion. Its everything you do and think etc that brings you to that wholeness state. Atheists arent amune to it anymore than theist have a deposition towards it.

Its all natual.

Deidre

Absolute peace, no confusion at all, every thing crystal clear - enlightened, nirvana, moksha, deliverance (from all doubts).

I explored Buddhism, and the concept of nirvana...and it truly is beautiful what you say here. So happy for you, that you have peace. :)

Deidre

To tell you honestly, out of the three religions and spiritual practices I gone through--witchcraft first, christianity, and buddhism, I find more peace in witchcraft (well, thats not a good word for it.The practice of revering the earth and communing with family) than christianity ever would have given me. Buddhism helps with the mind and learning compassion etc by focusing on the mind; and, I feel without family, even if its just spiritual family, there is something missing.

I find knowledge in Buddhism to help me in everyday life. I find myself in my ancestors and spirits that help with my spirit. Im still in a depressed state but when I pray to the spirits it always makes me all the better.

Good thread.
This is so interesting, I need to hear more! I have to go to sleep now...lol But, definitely want to hear more about witchcraft and how it has brought you peace and clarity.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Before I left Christianity, I thought a lot like this 'about' religion. That it was stifling, confining, and really just a bunch of moral rules and codes, and it didn't interest me any longer. I left it for a while. And my faith was very much built from being indoctrinated into it, as a kid. But, that's not how it is now. That's all I can say.

A relationship with Christ, and it really is better than I'd have envisioned. (But, you don't need to follow a religion to have a relationship with Christ)

What about "Christ" makes you want to have a relationship with him?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I wanted to answer this too. You can find everything in religion that you can find without. The challenge with that statement is separating religion from life. There is no with or without religion. Its everything you do and think etc that brings you to that wholeness state. Atheists arent amune to it anymore than theist have a deposition towards it.

Its all natual.

If this is the case then why would do you feel the need to have a religion to find peace?

Deidre

What about "Christ" makes you want to have a relationship with him?

Put it this way, I'm in love with someone now. I'm engaged. So, that's one kind of love. And I love my parents, and family members and friends...and that's another kind of love. But, Jesus gives a different type of love, and shows me in His teachings how to love, without expectation. That is not a love I'm used to. Can we love others without expectation, and be atheists? I imagine so. But, no one will love me, the way He does. It's a very different kind of love.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
lol Noooo, not crazy at all. It's a good thing, to pray. :) To meditate. It is interesting, how people's paths are different...and yet the same. We all still want peace.

Christianity, the religion itself, can be off putting...there are so many different interpretations/denominations, that it crowds out the purest message of hope and love that really is what the faith should be about. The OT's harsh backdrop for how the stories unfold in the Bible, doesn't help. lol But, it was a different time, I guess.
I don't have a religion now and consider myself agnostic. I believe everything we need to know about right and wrong is embedded in our conscious. Nearly every human on earth inherently knows the difference between right and wrong, excluding those with mental disabilities. My conscious is my bible and my actions are no different than when I was a Christian. :)

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Put it this way, I'm in love with someone now. I'm engaged. So, that's one kind of love. And I love my parents, and family members and friends...and that's another kind of love. But, Jesus gives a different type of love, and shows me in His teachings how to love, without expectation. That is not a love I'm used to. Can we love others without expectation, and be atheists? I imagine so. But, no one will love me, the way He does. It's a very different kind of love.

You believe Yeshua (Jesus) and Yahweh (God) are the same person in different incarnations correct?

Deidre

I know. Sounds odd, doesnt it. ;) Good night.

Hmmm, not odd. Just...I'm unaware of the depths of witchcraft, and how it might bring someone peace. I'm quite fascinated with what brings people peace in life. And good night for real! lol :D

You believe Yeshua (Jesus) and Yahweh (God) are the same person in different incarnations correct?

I believe in the Trinity...a triune God. So, yes. But, honestly, I don't dwell on the 'structure' of God like I used to, if that makes sense.

Let me ask you something...are you at peace in your life?

(I will read for the answer tomorrow after I wake up lol )

I'm glad I asked the question here everyone, your answers are SO interesting. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If this is the case then why would do you feel the need to have a religion to find peace?

Religion, to me, is a lifestyle..what you do to bring you to peace. If youre talking about organized religion, some want structure. Others want elders to tell them what they are just learning. Some find solace in being in a community. While other religious find solace of being alone (say practicing zazen).

Religion isnt separate from life. Its something you live. Since there is no with or without, that question doesnt really make sense. Thats like asking why do you need to live to be at peace.

Its not separate. Its a persons life. They dont need it (as if its food). They ARE (for emphasis) the religion they practice.

Last edited:

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I believe in the Trinity...a triune God. So, yes. But, honestly, I don't dwell on the 'structure' of God like I used to, if that makes sense.

Let me ask you something...are you at peace in your life?

(I will read for the answer tomorrow after I wake up lol )

I'm glad I asked the question here everyone, your answers are SO interesting. :)

Therefore the being you wish to have a personal relationship wanted people to be stoned to death at one point in time.

No, if I was at peace that would imply I do not wish to change things and I do wish to bring about positive change in the world.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Religion, to me, is a lifestyle..what you do to bring you to peace. If youre talking about organized religion, some want structure. Others want elders to tell them what they are just learning. Some find solace in being in a community. While other religious find solace of being alone (say practicing zazen).

Religion isnt separate from life. Its something you live. Since there is no with or without, that question doesnt really make sense. Thats like asking why do you need to live to be at peace.

Its not separate. Its a persons life. They dont need it (as if its food). They ARE for emphasis) the religion they practice.

You just said everything that can be found in religion can be found without, that would include peace.