• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel threatened

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When someone ask a direct question about the religion you follow/believe in, do you feel threatened by the questions, if it make you have to think about why you believe what you do?

Is it good to have questions asked toward you that make you have to think about why and how you practice your religious beliefs?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When someone ask a direct question about the religion you follow/believe in, do you feel threatened by the questions, if it make you have to think about why you believe what you do?

Is it good to have questions asked toward you that make you have to think about why and how you practice your religious beliefs?

Depends on context. Is the question legitimately trying to understand, or is a question looking for a way to declare their faith better than mine?

I'm not threatened by either, but certainly the former will get a better response. The second will be lucky to get a response at all. It's not some peeing contest.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Depends on context. Is the question legitimately trying to understand, or is a question looking for a way to declare their faith better than mine?

I'm not threatened by either, but certainly the former will get a better response. The second will be lucky to get a response at all. It's not some peeing contest.
True. asking questions for learning or for understanding why the teaching say one thing and followers do something other, is valied in my book.
But asking questions to say more or less, your beliefs are lesser or even wrong, that is not a good way to ask questions in my view.
Hope i have not come across as the last version i described

Filter

Yes and yes.

When I was a christian I got very defensive whenever anyone asked me a critical question about my faith.

Now, I think religion is supposed to be criticized, and should be whenever possible. So, yes it's good to have your foundations questioned. But I know it doesn't feel good, so I'd be careful about which words to use when questioning.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes and yes.

When I was a christian I got very defensive whenever anyone asked me a critical question about my faith.

Now, I think religion is supposed to be criticized, and should be whenever possible. So, yes it's good to have your foundations questioned. But I know it doesn't feel good, so I'd be careful about which words to use when questioning.
Very true indeed

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
True. asking questions for learning or for understanding why the teaching say one thing and followers do something other, is valied in my book.
But asking questions to say more or less, your beliefs are lesser or even wrong, that is not a good way to ask questions in my view.
Hope i have not come across as the last version i described

No you haven't. The folks who are legitimately interested often ask very few questions, and they're often specific. The folks looking for an argument often ask overused questions that have been used many times before to belittle, and are recognisable as such by people who have been around. They also hide behind 'debate' forums.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I don't feel threatened by people asking about my faith, i have non. But i am sometimes made to feel uncomfortable when it sinks into their the mind of the religious person asking the question that i have replied that im an atheist. That look is often enough, hostile.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't feel threatened by people asking about my faith, i have non. But i am sometimes made to feel uncomfortable when it sinks into their the mind of the religious person asking the question that i have replied that im an atheist. That look is often enough, hostile.
To be an atheist is a valied standing too :) So for us who do have a belief should respect those who do not have any religious belief at all too. And actually atheists are often those who ask the most difficult questions to answer :) I been put in to a corner more then once before with difficulties to get out of it :) But the good thing is, it means I have more to learn and understand within Buddhism, So even it is sometimes hard to argue with atheists it is also very good for learning more :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
To be an atheist is a valied standing too :) So for us who do have a belief should respect those who do not have any religious belief at all too. And actually atheists are often those who ask the most difficult questions to answer :) I been put in to a corner more then once before with difficulties to get out of it :) But the good thing is, it means I have more to learn and understand within Buddhism, So even it is sometimes hard to argue with atheists it is also very good for learning more :)

Its always good to learn, even if that new knowledge goes against belief.

Shantanu

One should keep ones personal beliefs to oneself unless you have an objective in being open to such questioning. My objective in posting here is that I want to be known as a person who lived to certain principles which I have perfected as being right for me. This way I strive to become immortal. That is also why I have had a Blog for many years which you can google and read all about my knowledge and experiences. I am different from everyone else and wish to share my individuality on online and prod reactions by the comments that I post. This way I assess my knowledge to see if it is the best that it is humanly possible to attain in terms of truth and reality. So I never feel threatened by any questions that people may ask of me. I am simply great. If my Blog or postings here survive I have attained the mark of respectability.

Earthling

David Henson

Oh, no, it challenges me and gives me the opportunity to yammer on about it. I love to be questioned.

Most definitely.

Ellen Brown

I love to talk about belief.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

No.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

No, if they're genuinely interested. Sometimes the pranava (om) pendant I wear is visible. People occasionally ask me what it is. I tell them it is the Sanskrit symbol for God in Hinduism. The response is usually "really!?" with another question or two. I have yet to get a sneering "oh, a false God" sort of response. To which I would respond with a glare and silence. It works when you look like I do. :D

Sometimes it bolsters my own faith and beliefs. So yeah, it can be good. Again, context context context. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No, if they're genuinely interested. Sometimes the pranava (om) pendant I wear is visible. People occasionally ask me what it is. I tell them it is the Sanskrit symbol for God in Hinduism. The response is usually "really!?" with another question or two. I have yet to get a sneering "oh, a false God" sort of response. To which I would respond with a glare and silence. It works when you look like I do. :D

Sometimes it bolsters my own faith and beliefs. So yeah, it can be good. Again, context context context. :)
Are you what i would consider as a monastic person?