• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in redemption?

If someone falls as far as a person possibly can is there still hope for the person to change or is it just a lost cause to even try and how can one achieve redemption for their sins?

Morse

To Extinguish
This, in my opinion, depends heavily upon the answerer's definition of humanity's nadir, whether they actually believe in redemption, and what exactly redemption/salvation/enlightenment is.

For me, I believe it is of course possible. Change is an innate property of the flow of the universe. Indeed, it is the illusion of permanence that holds back so many people. We become attached to our objects, we become invested in the status queue, and most relevantly, we become resigned to our fates or positions in life. It is by indulging in this false permanence that you lead yourself to believe that salvation from your greed, vices, and hate is impossible.

However, no matter how far you fall into your destructive and distinctive lifestyle, it is always possible to realign yourself on the path toward enlightenment.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe in sin.
But I do believe that no matter what, we can improve and become great.

Morse

To Extinguish
I don't believe in sin.
But I do believe that no matter what, we can improve and become great.

That's another great point. Sin, or rather the transgression of divine law (and the insinuation of the existence of any divine law) is an Abrahamic concept. The idea that breaking some "divine law" will earn you a seat of eternal suffering does not work for me. :)

Surya Deva

Yep, and very easy to prove. All actions are finite, therefore all reactions are finite as well. If I do something little bad like steal a 1 penny sweet from a corner shop, the reaction to that will be little, I may get just a slap on the wrist or a reprimand. If I do much worse and burgle somebodies house, the reaction to that will be much worse. I will face imprisonment and get a bad record which will affect my prospects for future employment. If I do something really horrible like murder somebody I will get a horrible punishment: life in prison, execution etc

The law of karma works in exactly the same way. You commit a wrong action, you get a wrong reaction and the balance is restored. You do not get punished forever for one wrong action. As soon as the action is spent, your balance is restored.

Christian Gnosis

One doesn't need redemption from their faults, they need a change of mind to correct their faults. The premise of redemption is itself flawed. It assumes that failing is somehow wrong and has no place in our lives to teach us anything.

Namaste