• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you believe in magic?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Penn and Teller are two men who have made their living performing great feats of magic.
David Blain is much better. Pen and Teller have nothing on David. Criss Angle is far more better than David Blain. I can almost all of David Blains magic tricks. I can do only one of Criss Angles. Criss Angle is the **** at street magic and illusions.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
orichalcum said:
I think there used to be magic, but it's been lost like dust in the wind (maybe).
You ever notice how the Wind always seems to find more dust ? :) Yes , it is hard to see the World as a Magical place in today's busy and noisy world , but it is still there for those who wish to find it . Ask any child .

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I would suggest though that you might find, as you get older that you mellow.........
No offense, but I don't see my beliefs changing with age. If you call upon any power other than that of the Lord, and get an answer, it isn't from Him and thus from another source. The only other sources are the devil and his minions.

I think you must take on the mindset in which the expression is used. To me, seeing an aeroplane fly is still Magic - even though I understand how the plane flies; that great big heavy lump of metal, getting into the sky is still 'a wonder' to me.
That is true, I am not however talking about modern "magic" of technology, nor was the OP but: "MAgic as in the wiccan/pagan sense, like rituals, spells, that sort of thing"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The only other sources are the devil and his minions.
Theres other gods and goddesses, various sorts of spirits, and lets not forget communication with the spirits of the dead. And you can also get answers from things of nature, such as a type of animal being revealed, or the wind blowing in a certain way.

DreamQuickBook

Luke Wolf said:
David Blain is much better. Pen and Teller have nothing on David. Criss Angle is far more better than David Blain. I can almost all of David Blains magic tricks. I can do only one of Criss Angles. Criss Angle is the **** at street magic and illusions.

I love David Blain. That guy makes my head spin! :)

As I see it, there are too parts to magic. The faith people have in its' power and the rituals used in enacting it. Now, all religions have ritual (i.e. prayer, communion, etc.). Magic is no different. I don't have a whole lot of faith in spiritual power, but I think ritual is a good part of religion. So who cares? Ritual is good. Magic either works or it doesn't; but it's a faith thing. leave it at that.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have had no experience of magic at all.
I would never say it was impossable, just that most things that were once considered magic have now been explaind.
If something can be taught but have no rational explanation, that I would say is magic. It may however be proved not to be so at a later date.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
I would never say it was impossable, just that most things that were once considered magic have now been explaind.
If something can be taught but have no rational explanation, that I would say is magic. It may however be proved not to be so at a later date.

Terry

DreamQuickBook

Terrywoodenpic said:

Terry

Well, Wiccan Magic and Ceremonial Magic are a bit different than just practicing arts that have yet to be explained. The same principles that go into prayer, meditation, the "laying of hands" and invocations are the same principles that have established the various magical traditions of the world. For the most part, it is simply the act of ritual and the focusing of energy.